Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2022, 07:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda India might discontinue its 1.5L diesel engine

Saw in today’s TOI that Honda might discontinue its Diesel engines as we move to RDE from April next year.
https://epaper.timesgroup.com/articl...011_toipuc_TOI
Another one biting the dust, thanks to the stringent emission norms.
rakesh_r is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 07:30   #2
BHPian

re: Honda India might discontinue its 1.5L diesel engine

As a Delhite who has grown up on breathing diesel fumes, I am thankful to policy makers for such measures related to diesels and fossil fuels.
ajayc123 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 07:43   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Honda should ideally shut shop and leave India for good, they hardly have anything to sell besides the Amaze and City in a market skewed towards SUVs, and their past SUV launches have been disappointing to say the least. They have to get their next products right on target with attractive pricing, if they want to survive. it's a make or break for them.
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 07:49   #4
BHPian

That would be a big loss, considering how fuel efficient their diesels are. Even though they are noisy, they do not feel under powered at all, and offer excellent fuel efficiency. I hope Honda continues the diesels.
Benoit is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 09:03   #5
BHPian

It make no sense for Honda to continue the diesel:

1. Just nearly 10-15% of total sales contribution
2. Hybrid is introduced for efficiency seekers
3. Cafe phase 2 and RDE compliance
4. Competitors had moved the game up, nobody want to buy Honda diesels. Even many general people are not aware about Honda diesels
5. The Honda petrols are far far superior so if one test drives both, the decision would incline towards gasoline
UD17 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 09:15   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda might discontinue Diesels

Another one down.

There goes my expectation for a Japanese diesel equipped Creta rival. If Honda really wants to keep their sales, better bring and price the hybrids at par with the diesels, not in some range topping version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
5. The Honda petrols are far far superior so if one test drives both, the decision would incline towards gasoline
Yes, for the 1.5l petrol.
No, for the 1.2l petrol. Would anyday pick the diesel Amaze or WR-V over the petrol one. In the City however, one can't go wrong with either petrol or diesel.
DicKy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 09:19   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda India might discontinue its 1.5L diesel engine

The big 2.0L and above diesels will continue in our market, but the choice of smaller diesel engines will greatly reduce. We've already lost so many great 1.5L diesels (Maruti's, Ford's VW-Skoda's). The 2.0L diesels are sold in pricier cars where the cost of AdBlue systems can be pushed into the package, and they also need a diesel for fuel economy. Imagine a petrol in a 2000-kilo Tata Safari.

I liked the Honda diesel's driveability & fuel economy. But it arrived too late in our market and hence, enjoyed merely a 9-year run. Makes sense to retire it as the 1.5L Diesel accounts for a small percentage of sales in the cars its offered in. The one variant that I will miss is the awesome Diesel CVT that made its debut in the Amaze. It's a butter-smooth Diesel AT in a sea of jerky AMTs.
GTO is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 09:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Not surprising. Honestly would be interesting to see how many diesel engines (mainly below 2 litre) will stay post the new emission norms in 2023.
Old 19th September 2022, 10:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The 2.0L diesels are sold in pricier cars where the cost of AdBlue systems can be pushed into the package, and they also need a diesel for fuel economy. Imagine a petrol in a 2000-kilo Tata Safari.
Wonder how Force Motors managed to do away without AdBlue for the 2.6L engine in the Gurkha. Is that the reason why it belts out lesser power?
rakesh_r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 11:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

On a side note, I pity the fleet operators (and those who rely on cabs). During my chat with airport cab drivers, I am told that there are hardly any diesel options in the market now and as a result we are forced to take old Etios/Dzire which have long past their prime Or cramped CNG cars with hardly any boot space.

I was told that only Hyundai Xcent and Honda Amaze are two diesel options they have got and looks like they too will soon become history.

Petrol powered cabs will not be economical and CNG will not be practical.
rajshenoy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 11:56   #11
BHPian

Few months back i took a cab between Pune-- Mumbai, was a honda amaze with the 1.5l diesel.

At one point i observed the car was driven over 1lac kms, asked the driver about the engine, its milage and any issues.
As per him he regularly got 25-28kmpl on Mumbai-Pune trips (expressway figure), engine on his vehicle was very reliable but he has seen multiple issues of engine oil leakage in other cabs in his known group.

He was saying its a known issue with this 1.5l engine and some engines had suffered major damage.
Gaur is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 12:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaur View Post
Few months back i took a cab between Pune-- Mumbai, was a honda amaze with the 1.5l diesel.

At one point i observed the car was driven over 1lac kms, asked the driver about the engine, its milage and any issues.
As per him he regularly got 25-28kmpl on Mumbai-Pune trips (expressway figure), engine on his vehicle was very reliable but he has seen multiple issues of engine oil leakage in other cabs in his known group.

He was saying its a known issue with this 1.5l engine and some engines had suffered major damage.
I had the City diesel which was driven for 135000 km. Never had any oil leakage. The only issue I had with that engine was it's noise due to aluminum build. Otherwise FE was absolutely fantastic and drive was smooth. Shame this engine is being discontinued by Honda.
harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 14:35   #13
BHPian

Having driven a Honda diesel car, the only things lacking are outright power and refinement levels. On the other hand, after driving the Hyundai/Kia diesel engines, one can easily see how they are much more refined and powerful, the cars themselves having better NVH. I remember reading the Autocar review of the Honda City 4th gen when it was launched in 2013 end. They mentioned excellent driveability in the city where one could hover at 20kph in the 4th gear (I don't get why a driver would lug the engine to that degree), but criticised the roughness and performance.

If Honda offers it in a better state of tune with better refinement and performance, it would surely be a hit.
Yash390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 15:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Wonder how Force Motors managed to do away without AdBlue for the 2.6L engine in the Gurkha. Is that the reason why it belts out lesser power?
I was told because of the low power rating they are able to manage without AdBlue(DPF+SCR). I think this possibly is the only engine out there with 2.0+ capacity developing less than 100HP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
On a side note, I pity the fleet operators (and those who rely on cabs). During my chat with airport cab drivers, I am told that there are hardly any diesel options in the market now and as a result we are forced to take old Etios/Dzire which have long past their prime Or cramped CNG cars with hardly any boot space.

I was told that only Hyundai Xcent and Honda Amaze are two diesel options they have got and looks like they too will soon become history.

Petrol powered cabs will not be economical and CNG will not be practical.
Eventually, the cost of transport will increase and will pinch back the tax payers. Most of the newer cabs are Ertiga,S-Presso, Dzire petrols. I had not used Uber/Ola for ages and couple of days back checked their app, saw prices have more than doubled!
BS4 was the golden era of diesels. Efficient, made good power and many were engineered to run for ever!

Last edited by PrideRed : 19th September 2022 at 15:47.
PrideRed is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 16:22   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
As a Delhite who has grown up on breathing diesel fumes, I am thankful to policy makers for such measures related to diesels and fossil fuels.
Delhi is just one place on earth, which has some geographical issues.

Delhi always enjoyed much cheaper fuel and much higher wages.

Once you move south and see different cities, the prices of petrol are not affordable for many. There is a valid reason for people opting for diesel over petrol.

Even as we speak, the price of diesel is higher in my city than the cost of Petrol in Delhi.

Just making such policies not going to help anyone. Just because of this move, if the consumption of crude spikes, the government ends up with a higher import bill.
Mustang_Boss is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed