Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2022, 10:52   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Jeep is ending the production of Right-Hand drive Cherokee....A replacement for the Cherokee is expected to debut before 2025 and offer an electric powertrain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
What can one take away from this? they are just off-loading remaining stocks in CBU form here? or remainder of kits in CKD if they go that route?
A la previous Karoq and Polo GTI never to be seen again
Two different models, got mixed up.

We are getting the Grand Cherokee. The real successor of the old Cherokee. The Cherokee of old days had its name changed midway and became a crossover. The frumpy faced model.

It is good that they are rationalising the RHD line-up. They are still keen on the RHD markets of Asia-Pacific and Australia.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 17:14   #47
Senior - BHPian

re: 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs

Jeep Grand Cherokee bookings open in India

Jeep has commenced the local assembly of the Grand Cherokee in India. The SUV is being manufactured at the brand’s Ranjangaon facility. With this, the company has also opened the order books for the premium SUV.

2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs-screenshot-20221107-170625.jpg

According to media reports, the India-spec Grand Cherokee is expected to be offered with a 2.0-litre plug-in hybrid powertrain. Globally, the SUV also gets a 3.6-litre V6 and a 5.7-litre V8 engine option.

In terms of its design, the new Grand Cherokee features a slim 7-slot grille at the front with LED headlamps on either side. It gets LED daytime running lights that are integrated into the main headlamp cluster and LED fog lamps mounted on the bumper.

The SUV is likely to be offered with a 5-seat configuration. It will come equipped with a 10.1-inch touchscreen infotainment system and a digital instrument cluster. It will also get Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) and features such as a panoramic sunroof, ventilated seats, a powered tailgate and a head-up display.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee will be officially launched on November 11, 2022.
TusharK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 18:22   #48
BHPian

Some perspective to gauge the size, standing next to compass.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs-pxl_20221107_080038369.night2.jpg  

Gaur is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 18:40   #49
BHPian

wow, plug in hybrid. Would this be the first one?

India started with mild hybrid, next strong hybrid and now seeing PHEV. Good fillers before the EV infrastructure maturity and adoption
Old 7th November 2022, 19:17   #50
BHPian

Estimated 80-85Lac price on-road for a CKD (I presume) and that too without the V6! I think there can't be a much accurate formula to make your product DOA!
Ashwin Morey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 19:29   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwin Morey View Post
Estimated 80-85Lac price on-road for a CKD (I presume) and that too without the V6! I think there can't be a much accurate formula to make your product DOA!
There are currently no SUVs offering a 6 cylinder engine below the 1 Cr mark (except the X4 30d).
Lowflyer23 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 19:52   #52
Senior - BHPian

Jeep has started assembling the Grand Cherokee at its facility in Ranjangaon, making it the brand's fourth model to be assembled in India.

2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs-20221107_195159.jpg

Jeep Grand Cherokee India launch on November 17. Earlier, the launch was scheduled on November 11.

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 7th November 2022 at 19:55.
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 09:48   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
There are currently no SUVs offering a 6 cylinder engine below the 1 Cr mark (except the X4 30d).
I believe the Audi Q7 can still be had inside of 1CR with discounts. However that's not the point.

I am trying to understand the strategy behind Jeep pricing the Grand Cherokee at 85 Lacs (IF at all this is true).

They are not launching the V6 engine
They are not launching the 7 seater 'L' version
They are not launching it as a CBU
And they don't enjoy the luxury brand status like the Germans or heck even Volvo/JLR for that matter

Given the above, why would someone want to buy it for 85Lacs? In fact the ideal price range should have been 55-65Lacs (considering that it is being assembled here).

Jeep will have a tough time justifying why someone will shell 85 big ones for a CKD, 5 seater. 2-ltr plug-in hybrid engine version of Grand Cherokee.
Old 8th November 2022, 10:09   #54
BHPian

Quote:
I believe the Audi Q7 can still be had inside of 1CR with discounts. However that's not the point.

I am trying to understand the strategy behind Jeep pricing the Grand Cherokee at 85 Lacs (IF at all this is true).

Jeep will have a tough time justifying why someone will shell 85 big ones for a CKD, 5 seater. 2-ltr plug-in hybrid engine version of Grand Cherokee.
Man it's not at all possible to price it at 55-65 lacs going by the current market trends. That pricing is Fortuner territory and this vehicle is a couple of segments higher than that. Globally it compares with X5 and Q7 and those are still priced higher here. Also, even though I agree with the fact that Jeep could have tried to price it more competitively, they have never been after sales figures with their premium products and I doubt this time would be any different. Their strategy is to maximize profits on each unit, hence the comparatively higher pricing for the last Grand Cherokee.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 10:44   #55
BHPian

God help those who buy such vehicles paying premium with the horrible customer service they will get from the service centers and jeep itself after paying so much. I'd rather buy one of the established luxury brands like BMW,Merc etc.
niki9009 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 11:52   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Man it's not at all possible to price it at 55-65 lacs going by the current market trends. That pricing is Fortuner territory and this vehicle is a couple of segments higher than that. Globally it compares with X5 and Q7 and those are still priced higher here. Also, even though I agree with the fact that Jeep could have tried to price it more competitively, they have never been after sales figures with their premium products and I doubt this time would be any different. Their strategy is to maximize profits on each unit, hence the comparatively higher pricing for the last Grand Cherokee.
I know its wishful thinking but heck their service track record as well as their luxury quotient is nowhere near any of the competitors like x5 & Q7. I think we can safely put the Grand Cherokee at par with say a Discovery Sport and a segment above Fortuner but the Disco has better pricing at least and an option to go for a 5+2 config whereas the Fortuner is better in every sense including well rounded package (compared to Jeep), a proven legacy and a very good service record (comparatively).

So while 55-65 maybe wishful thinking, 70-75 still looks sensible and for sure 85 is absolute senseless. They may not be after sales figures but then they don't need a Halo product at this stage to prove their legacy. Higher profits/Low volumes can only be possible if there is low volume. If they indeed launch it at 85L then i doubt if there would be any volume at all.
Old 8th November 2022, 15:57   #57
BHPian

Quote:
I think we can safely put the Grand Cherokee at par with say a Discovery Sport and a segment above Fortuner but the Disco has better pricing at least and an option to go for a 5+2 config whereas the Fortuner is better in every sense including well rounded package (compared to Jeep), a proven legacy and a very good service record (comparatively).

So while 55-65 maybe wishful thinking, 70-75 still looks sensible and for sure 85 is absolute senseless. They may not be after sales figures but then they don't need a Halo product at this stage to prove their legacy. Higher profits/Low volumes can only be possible if there is low volume. If they indeed launch it at 85L then i doubt if there would be any volume at all.
The Discovery Sport's on-road price of both the petrol and diesel variants is around 88 lacs in cities like Delhi and Jaipur. What you have mentioned is the ex-showroom figure.

And I believe demand will always be there for expensive auto brands which offer slightly different experience compared to the Germans as there are plenty of people willing to splurge money on these luxuries. Even though the product might not be vfm, it would still find takers especially in the current seller's market.
Old 8th November 2022, 17:51   #58
BHPian

If it comes true, we get the first PHEV in India. What I understand is power figures of 2L + Electric motor will be impressive, than the legendary V6 in service for more than a decade.
Jeep had been transitioning to position itself has a premium brand for quite some time - not just in India [ though reliability hasn't been their strong foot even in their home market - US ].
Old 8th November 2022, 19:28   #59
Senior - BHPian

Went for a Jeep Meridian test drive today.
The sales person told me the Grand Cherokee will land at 80L, for whatever thats worth : )
Old 9th November 2022, 12:14   #60
BHPian

Quote:
The Discovery Sport's on-road price of both the petrol and diesel variants is around 88 lacs in cities like Delhi and Jaipur. What you have mentioned is the ex-showroom figure.

And I believe demand will always be there for expensive auto brands which offer slightly different experience compared to the Germans as there are plenty of people willing to splurge money on these luxuries. Even though the product might not be vfm, it would still find takers especially in the current seller's market.
Okay so to clarify, JLR is notorious for pricing their products higher than the competition however when i mentioned about baby Disco having better pricing, I was talking in relative terms. Basically, despite JLR pricing their models on the higher side, if we even consider 85L OTR for the baby Disco, we are still getting a better deal of a luxury brand + an option to go with the 5+2 seating combo. The brand definitely has a better luxury quotient and a higher recall value. In that context selling a Jeep Grand Cherokee at a rumored 85L OTR would be suicidal.

But I think enough said, let's just wait out for the pricing to be actually revealed and for the sales figures further down the line.

I secretly had wished that they would launch it in the 70-75 range with their V6 engine. I already have a Compass in the family, I am already on my 2nd T-JET and I was hoping this would be such a great addition to that however the rumored pricing and the confirmed hybrid engine has really taken the sheen off, of whatever excitement I had.

Most Viewed