Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2022, 09:26   #91
BHPian

Re: 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs

That's "Dead On Arrival" for sure. Compass price constantly being revised upwards. ASS nightmares. I think Jeep will soon exit the market.
Gildarts is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 09:51   #92
BHPian

Re: 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs

77.5 Lakhs, Is this a joke? Even for a competent product, this pricing is dangerously close to the well-established competitors like the X5/GLE/Q7.
ramji_or is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 09:51   #93
BHPian

Classic DOA. Would have made sense if it was some classic tech demonstrator or a top of the shelf for branding. It is none. At best less than 10 after few months of excitement from may be from those who are not prepared to wait for Merc or BMW bigger SUVs and have cash to spare.
Old 18th November 2022, 10:39   #94
BHPian

Lol for this pricing!! At 1 CR territory, this one has competition from X5, Q7 and GLE - and each of these have a variant with 3L, 6 Cyl engine, stable & successful track record, and most importantly, the customer's trust! Big Jeep has none..
Zinda is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 11:59   #95
Senior - BHPian

Will happily pickup the X5. The current X5 has awesome engine options and car has stunning road presence too. At 2L more than Grand Cherokee I get more powerful car with better driving dynamics, A BMW badge and probably better after after sales too. The Jeep is easily the better off roader, but I doubt If I will ever take a 1Cr car for serious off roading!
PrideRed is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 13:57   #96
BHPian

Jeep is a niche brand and has a poor reputation in India.
Given a 1.5/2 model brand in India (Compass + Meridian - Something like Harrier + Safari), Jeep is still struggling to make enough numbers to justify its investment and expansion in India. Unless Jeep addresses the elephant in the room (Reliability), it is never going to meet the desired numbers.

Now, this Grand Cherokee looks like a joke. 95L car with a 2-liter engine, no 7 seater, poor reliability, limited sales & service network, no USP, and looks more like a Meridian? Jeep is no Merc, BMW, or Audi to test the waters here. Wrangler, which is miles ahead of this Cherokee in terms of offroading prowess, with a similar powertrain, is almost 20L cheaper than this grand Cherokee. Why on earth will someone buy this instead of a Wrangler if they are considering Jeep for off-roading and minimum on-roading?

And finally, being a niche brand and niche model which is targeted at enthusiasts, this Grand Cherokee does not garner enough votes here in TBhp (which is a sample target audience for this Cherokee). Let the numbers speak.
Livnletcarsliv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 14:53   #97
BHPian

As @nareshtrao mentioned above, I was also starting to look at the Grand Cherokee as a possible replacement for Endeavor 3.2L (still having a wonderful experience with it), but the pricing is just crazy.

May be the possible launch of new gen Nissan X-Trail or the BMW x1 may be a better alternative in the 50 lakhs price bracket (other than of course Fortuner)?
Old 18th November 2022, 15:33   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep Rubicon is priced at around U$60k in the USA;

2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs-screenshot-20221118-3.27.04-pm.png

^ India price is INR 61.85L Ex-Showroom.

Jeep Grand Cherokee (7 seater 4x4 Limited variant) is priced around U$ 52k in the USA;

2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs-screenshot-20221118-3.30.06-pm.png

^ India price is INR 77.5L Ex-Showrroom.

I believe both are CKD & assembled in India.

Last edited by karan561 : 18th November 2022 at 16:00.
karan561 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 16:28   #99
BHPian

I am very surprised by all the complaints about pricing. A few posts earlier in the thread were right on the money with regards to pricing. One normally gets a fully loaded trim here in India and so the Limited trim in the US cannot be compared directly to the Limited trim here as a lot of optional features come standard here. That is why it is not easy to compare pricing across different models either.

Of course, if one expected the Grand Cherokee to compete with the Fortuner in terms of pricing, that wasn't going to happen. The GST alone is 50% here in India on vehicles (It has never been clear to me how the CKD vs CBU taxing works on top of this GST - the CKD tax is supposed to be 60% whereas the CBU tax is above 100%).

Starting at Rs.77.5L and accounting for this 50% GST would bring the GST removed price to ~Rs.52L. Converting this to USD would put this around US$65k which is not too far from the ex showroom prices in the US for a similarly equipped model. Even in the US, this is close to BMW X5 pricing - of course one could get a barebones BMW X5 xDrive40i for ~$60k or less with good negotiation skills before all the craziness of COVID induced supply chain shortages. So, I think the SUV is priced in line with how it is priced in other markets.

As with everything, value is in the eye of the beholder. I am sure Jeep is not looking to sell ~4000 units a month. This is a fully loaded 4x4 with a reasonably good engine and a fantastic gearbox.
THE-U- is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 18:53   #100
BHPian

The vehicle looks nice and brawny. 2L engine option doesn’t looks nice on paper at least. I hope it achieves what Jeep has thought for it.

Slight OT -
Not going into price debate but, in context of Pune, I doubt if this SUV can even enter the authorised service compound of JEEP with all those 2 wheelers parked in front of gate. The main gate itself is situated in front of a very busy square in PCMC which doesn’t help its cause. The way vehicles are kept inside and manoeuvred will give mini heart attack to owner if they thought of tagging along with car.
Old 18th November 2022, 19:31   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post
It has never been clear to me how the CKD vs CBU taxing works on top of this GST - the CKD tax is supposed to be 60% whereas the CBU tax is above 100%).
CKD/ SKD is around 25-30%, CBU for less than 40,000 USD- 60% and higher -100%. GST varies from 49-51 on premium cars/SUVs. However, when assembling, the costs & taxes on the components will be much less.

Quote:
Starting at Rs.77.5L and accounting for this 50% GST would bring the GST removed price to ~Rs.52L. Converting this to USD would put this around US$65k which is not too far from the ex showroom prices in the US for a similarly
You can get a decent loaded Limited at less than the 60K mark plus taxes and destination. Jeep surely could have done better on the prices, but they have chosen to take a risk by pricing where they find no models are available from Europeans.

The biggest issue at these prices looks to be the absence of V6 or the Hybrid models. They should have launched the hybrid variant as a differentiator.

Quote:
I am sure Jeep is not looking to sell ~4000 units a month.
If they are able to do 3 digits in a Year, it will be great.

Jeep vs BMW in the USA is not the same as here. And with the kind of reliability issues some of the other users have faced in other assembled models; someone has to be brave to spend 80Lac and Extras on a Jeep with that engine
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 19:54   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As with everything, value is in the eye of the beholder. I am sure Jeep is not looking to sell ~4000 units a month. This is a fully loaded 4x4 with a reasonably good engine and a fantastic gearbox.
Isn't Quadra Trac I same as an AWD system? It does not appear to be a 4x4 in the traditional sense, perhaps RWD biased as we saw in Aria \ Hexa etc.

They have smartly escaped Toyota by pricing but ended up in front of the Germans!
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 20:30   #103
BHPian

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...57211.html/amp

Only higher end models from JEEP, even in the future.

Presumably only global-spec, high margin and exportable (RHD) models/variants.

Seems an appropriate strategy IF the idea is for Indian operations to be financially sustainable (I.e., with at least some significant return on capital.)

ExFCA has eked out profits from India for years: more than can be said for most firms barring 2 or 4. They won't change that it seems: as capital efficient, lean, margins-first etc. That only seems truer of Citroen in India under Stellantis.

All they have to do for the next year or two is to improve the dealership and after sales experience a notch. Deliver better on QDR. From my experince here in DELHI NCR they're falling just a tad short currently: not bad but not quite good enough if the competition is say BMW or Mercedes or Toyota

Last edited by desdemona : 18th November 2022 at 20:55. Reason: ...to complete post
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 20:31   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
You can get a decent loaded Limited at less than the 60K mark plus taxes and destination. Jeep surely could have done better on the prices, but they have chosen to take a risk by pricing where they find no models are available from Europeans.

The biggest issue at these prices looks to be the absence of V6 or the Hybrid models. They should have launched the hybrid variant as a differentiator.
I find some small and some significant differences between the US and India models with the same trim level. Does the US Limited model come with the front screen for the passenger like the Indian one does? And there could be other differences as well.

Even in the case of BMWs, the X5 lower end model in India seems to lose a lots of features as and the xDrive40i MSport version has more features (and lack of some features) than the xDrive40i MSport version in the US. The GLE and Tucson are both extended wheel base versions in India without any equivalents in Western markets if I recall correctly. So, it is very hard to make a one to one comparison.

Perhaps the GC should also have been brought over as a third row barebones version priced closer to the Fortuner along with this higher end version, but, seems like they just wanted to increase their presence with a limited expansion. A GC with a hybrid power train perhaps would have been more attractive but that might have added at least Rs. 8L to current pricing. Perhaps Jeep could offer V6 or a V8 Hemi engined versions as CBU models. In any case, the pricing of the current version is in line with what I would have expected give or take a couple of lakhs. I don't think the current engine is all that weak - 240 hp is ok in my mind. Now, if only this engine is made available in the Meridian
THE-U- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 20:54   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I find some small and some significant differences between the US and India models with the same trim level. Does the US Limited model come with the front screen for the passenger like the Indian one does?
That's around $1500 option and I did consider the same as well the premium pack for a ballpark 60K

Quote:
Perhaps the GC should also have been brought over as a third row barebones version priced closer to the Fortuner along with this higher end version
But aren't they already selling one closer to Fortuner with 7 seats and a similar engine?

Quote:
In any case, the pricing of the current version is in line with what I would have expected give or take a couple of lakhs.
Expected as a buyer in the segment or as an observation?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks