Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2022, 10:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Tata Punch Camo Edition teased ahead of launch

Tata Motors plans to launch a new special edition of the Punch on September 22. The latest teaser released by the company suggests that it could be the Punch Camo Edition.

Tata Punch Camo Edition teased ahead of launch-screenshot-20220921-104525.jpg

The Punch Camo Edition is expected to get a dual-tone colour scheme of Camo Green with a black roof. It will also get special badges, black alloy wheels and black ORVMs. On the inside, the car could get some cosmetic changes with leatherette seat upholstery and Camo Edition badges.

The Punch Camo Edition is likely to be based on the top-spec Creative trim and should come with features like a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system and automatic climate control.

The Punch is powered by a 1.2-litre petrol engine that makes 84 BHP and 113 Nm. The Camo Edition could get a choice of a 5-speed manual and an AMT.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 11:44   #2

Default Re: Tata Punch Camo Edition teased ahead of launch

How many special editions would you like?
TATA: YES
UMXR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 12:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motor's fondness for special editions, which are just different colours is becoming a joke on Social Media. Some folks have commented that Tata Motors has more colours than Asian Paints, or that Tata Motors should stop playing "Holi" with their limited editions.

Wish they had launched the Punch with a proper punchy 4 cylinder engine or an EV.
Lalvaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 13:01   #4
BHPian

Excellent sales planning by Tata. It seems like Tata now have a special edition for each shade. Dark Edition, Adventure Persona, Kaziranga, Jet Edition, Camo and what not. I personally believe that these special edition variants are meant only for gaining attention towards the brand.

Last edited by Shreyfiesta : 21st September 2022 at 13:03.
Old 21st September 2022, 13:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Wish they had launched the Punch with a proper punchy 4 cylinder engine or an EV.
As per updates received, 50% of Hyundai Venue sales comes from 82BHP variants, 30% from diesel and 20% from Turbo. Not an encouraging figure for a manufacturer to plonk more powerful motor on Punch. EV variant of Punch will be available next year. So people looking for Punchy performance may have to opt for EV variant then. Anyways, I wish they come up with JTP variants of Punch and Altroz.

Last edited by K_Drive : 21st September 2022 at 13:25.
K_Drive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 16:18   #6
BHPian

Quote:
And how many punchy 4 cylinder vehicles/month would've added in Punch's tally? May be 5% more than the monthly average? TML will happily take ~12,000/month "not so punchy" Punches & get trolled.
Last laugh is by TML in this case, with all the money they are making.

Last edited by speedguy : 21st September 2022 at 16:30.
speedguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 19:12   #7
BHPian

Tata has discovered that editions sell. So they want to make the most out of it. Can't blame them. Let's see if there are any feature additions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedguy View Post
And how many punchy 4 cylinder vehicles/month would've added in Punch's tally? May be 5% more than the monthly average? TML will happily take ~12,000/month "not so punchy" Punches & get trolled.
A punchy 1.2L 4 cylinder petrol engine, would have been used in the tiago, tigor, altroz and the punch. Imagine the number of bookings cancelled due to the 3 pot engine. It's a lot, considering Maruti car owners looking to move to safer alternatives would have wanted a smoother engine. So, the combined increase in sales would be at least 10k. Which is indeed a lot. Tata would've been the second best selling company for quite sometime now.

I have a friend who who owns an altroz petrol, and his brother owns an i20 petrol. His brother calls the altroz a diesel engine. The joke is still on Tata.

Last edited by Benoit : 21st September 2022 at 19:16.
Old 21st September 2022, 19:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post

A punchy 1.2L 4 cylinder petrol engine, would have been used in the tiago, tigor, altroz and the punch. Imagine the number of bookings cancelled due to the 3 pot engine. It's a lot, considering Maruti car owners looking to move to safer alternatives would have wanted a smoother engine. So, the combined increase in sales would be at least 10k. Which is indeed a lot. Tata would've been the second best selling company for quite sometime now.
Addition of one cylinder also comes with price increase.
Then would those 10K additional people bought those cars? Answer is NO.
For similar money you can either get built quality / safety or just a refined engine.
TML tested the waters by launching JTP editions (most Punchy cars in its segment). What was the result, we all know.
Old 22nd September 2022, 01:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedguy View Post
Have you driven the Punch? I have and found it underpowered. Hence I did not book the vehicle, even though I had a requirement and the budget. Now while I do not know whether a better engine would have translated to 5%, 10%, 50%, 100% etc, I do know that I did not buy the vehicle. Hence my suggestion to TaMo to either provide a better engine option for this vehicle or even give an EV.

You of course are free to think that people like me are a minority and hence don't count, and 5% extra sales (Based on what research you conducted, I dont know) don't matter to TaMo. I still reserve the right to express my personal opinion, just like you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Addition of one cylinder also comes with price increase.
Then would those 10K additional people bought those cars? Answer is NO.
For similar money you can either get built quality / safety or just a refined engine.
TML tested the waters by launching JTP editions (most Punchy cars in its segment). What was the result, we all know.
Who decided that it always has to be Binary, Either a well built car or a refined engine? Why can't I demand both?
And how did you deduce that just because JTP wasn't a success, even a better Punch would not work.
Even if you're correct in deducing that, will the camo limited edition punch bring in those 10K additional sales?

Last edited by Lalvaz : 22nd September 2022 at 01:50.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 08:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

15% of Tata Motors PV sales come from special editions.

If people are lapping up these editions, and Tata gets to earn more by charging more premium, I wonder why would they stop.
ashutoshb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 09:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Imagine the number of bookings cancelled due to the 3 pot engine.I have a friend who who owns an altroz petrol, and his brother owns an i20 petrol. His brother calls the altroz a diesel engine. The joke is still on Tata.
Imagine the number of bookings cancelled for Tata if Altroz & i20 are priced same. How many people would have gone for Tata against Hyundai?
Sure, refinement is an issue & your friend's brother is right. But if you see the last 6 month's average sales of i20 & Altroz, there is a gap of around 1050 cars/month. And this gap is due to the people who go for a punchy engine. Even if we consider that all of them decided to go with i20 for better engine. (Ideally 50% would have went to i20 due to TML showroom & aftersales' horror stories) Tata will live with that having to invest less on development cost, low product cost, better margins & so on. I am not against punchy engines, but the market for them is quite niche in India (Personal opinion)

Quote:
Have you driven the Punch? I have and found it underpowered. You of course are free to think that people like me are a minority and hence don't count, and 5% extra sales (Based on what research you conducted, I dont know) don't matter to TaMo. I still reserve the right to express my personal opinion, just like you do.
Who decided that it always has to be Binary, Either a well built car or a refined engine? Why can't I demand both?
And how did you deduce that just because JTP wasn't a success, even a better Punch would not work.
Even if you're correct in deducing that, will the camo limited edition punch bring in those 10K additional sales?
When did I object for your opinion? You are absolutely right about Punch being underpowered. The problem is, the people who feel the same are too less. If you ask a common man about a car, he looks for good fuel efficiency, reliability & hassle free ownership. Engine power, torque to weight ratio, 0-100 timing, flat torque, these things are unheard for most of the people.
My statement about 5% increase in sales was my assumption (Just like you, I am entitled to it, I believe). For data, see K-Drive's post below. Even a company like Hyundai manages to sale 20% from Turbo engines, then imagine the plight of Tata. By the way, Altroz have an option of turbo petrol since atleast 6-8 months. I've yet to see that vehicle on road (I swear!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Drive View Post
As per updates received, 50% of Hyundai Venue sales comes from 82BHP variants, 30% from diesel and 20% from Turbo. Not an encouraging figure for a manufacturer to plonk more powerful motor on Punch. EV variant of Punch will be available next year. So people looking for Punchy performance may have to opt for EV variant then. Anyways, I wish they come up with JTP variants of Punch and Altroz.

Last edited by speedguy : 22nd September 2022 at 09:17.
Old 22nd September 2022, 09:43   #12
BHPian

Contrary to the discussions here, I believe most of the cancellations are due to poor FE than engine refinement or under-powered'ness. To be honest, one shouldn't compare the performance w.r.t a Maruti, as the Punch is a good 200-250kgs heavier than a Wagon-R or Ignis.

There are numerous videos of dissatisfied users on YouTube, complaining about low FE (read 10-12kmpl only in city) . There are equally good number of counter videos demonstrating how to achieve 20+kmpl by hypermiling on open roads.
Old 22nd September 2022, 15:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Tata Punch Camo Edition launched at Rs. 6.85 lakh

Tata Motors has launched the Punch Camo Edition with prices starting at Rs. 6.85 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Name:  20220922022354_Tata Punch.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  41.7 KB

The Punch Camo Edition is finished in a dual-tone colour scheme of Foliage Green and either Piano Black or Pristine White roof. Other exterior details include dual-tone alloy wheels, ‘Camo’ badges and a new silver skid plate.

The military theme is carried over on the inside. The car gets green interior trim and new seat upholstery with a camouflage pattern.

Name:  20220922022354_Punch 2.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  60.6 KB

The Punch Camo Edition is available in Adventure and Accomplished trims, unlike the Kaziranga Edition, which is only available on the top-spec Creative trim.

The Camo Edition does get a few high-end features, including a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, reverse parking camera, engine start/stop button, cruise control, fog lamps and LED DRLs.

The Punch Camo Edition is powered by the same 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder petrol engine that makes 85 BHP and 113 Nm. The engine is mated to either a 5-speed manual or a 5-speed AMT.

Punch Camo Edition ex-showroom prices:

• Adventure – Rs. 6.85 lakh
  • Adventure AMT – Rs. 7.45 lakh
  • Adventure Rhythm – Rs. 7.20 lakh
  • Adventure Rhythm AMT – Rs. 7.80 lakh
  • Accomplished – Rs. 7.65 lakh
  • Accomplished AMT – Rs. 8.25 lakh
  • Accomplished Dazzle – Rs. 8.03 lakh
  • Accomplished Dazzle AMT – Rs. 8.63 lakh

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 23:23   #14
BHPian

IMO, what should have been provided on cars like Harrier and Safari (And standalone Hexa, which is non existent these days)as special standalone edition like the dark edition has made way to the Punch. Agree that the punch is a volume maker but then Tata could have an opportunity to introduce more variants or provide updates like hill assist, height adjustable seat belt, iTpms etc.
Old 23rd September 2022, 02:17   #15
BHPian

Tata ML might as well buy Nerolac, Asian Paints and others. Tata knows the color taste of Indians more than they know about Motors it seems.
rishi.roger is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed