Team-BHP - Why is Suzuki India so sluggish?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Why is Suzuki India so sluggish? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/2575-why-suzuki-india-so-sluggish.html)

I think, if suzuki would have acted like an aggressive manufacturer in updating and launching new models of its cars here, hyuandai (and others) would have had a very hard time setting up its feet here.

consider this....
If WagonR was launched before Santro - santro would have had a really hard time selling. (but WagonR was launched much after santro - that too a bit higher in price)

If Ignis was launched before Palio and indica also with the zen's diesel engine- Palio/Indica would again be almost dead.

If WagonR+ (which comes with a 1.3ltr esteem engine) was to be launched before Getz - Getz again would have some competition (I actually don't know how these both compare)

If Liana was launched before Accent and Ikon and stuff - there was not much chance for Accent at least.

If Suzuki can waste its time with Grand Vitara, it could have also launched Baleno with its 130-140bhp engine which sells in U.S. - this could have eaten into Vtec like anything.

AND if Suzuki would have brought Mpfi tech here in time not just 1 month before the Supreme court deadline... it could have given a tough competition to all those Matiz, Santros, Cielos... and stuff...

Conclusion Suzuki is killing Maruti.... the only saving grace is maruti's price cuts regularly.

What Say?

argee with u
infact i think maruti has realised this,
i do beleve the recent changes (good or bad) in the new zen , and coming up new esteem were all in house
with just the permission taken from maruti

heck if the tud5 wngine were there in a wagon r i am sure till would sell like hot cakes
same the case if there were a tced tud5 in the gypsy

SLK, Most of your "what ifs" have to do with the timing. You suggest that if the Wagon R, Ignis, Wagon R+ and the Liana were launched before the competition - they would have been the success stories today. Timing the launch of a product is very important, but it is not the only deciding factor. I doubt Maruti could have managed as good a job of marketing the Wagon R as Hyundai did with the Santro.

There are many other errors with your assessment. One thing is that the Ignis with a Zen diesel engine would be grossly underpowered. The Peugeot TUD5 did suffice in the 730 kg Zen, but in the 920+ kg Ignis....the car would be left gasping for power in almost any driving condition. Also the Ignis could not have been launched before the Indica, for the simple reason that the Ignis was not even ready by the Indica launch year. The American Esteem (Baleno) did not ever sell with a 140 bhp engine. It did have a 1.8 liter option, which was capable of 122bhp. For Indian conditions this would surely have been detuned to 115bhp.

I do agree with you that Maruti has got its timing game wrong in a couple of instances, but this was more because of the fatal bloodbaths between the Government of India and Suzuki Japan than anything else. Unfortunately, even their sheer domination in the Indian market made them that much more over-confident of their hold over the Indian market...and Maruti showed that it had learned some management techniques from HMs and PALs of the protected era.

But more than the timing, I think Maruti has suffered tremendous because of an ageing product line, a not-so-lean&mean management, faulty pricing strategies and their marketing decisions.

GTO

Ignis with TUD5.. is anyday better than Indica!.. which weighs the same... and just 52bhp.. against 57.. of TUD5.

I wasn't really sure of baleno's bhp... so i said 130-40.... ok if its 122... or 115.... still a Vtec eater... as it could have costed less.

True timing is not the deciding factor, but its important. Say if not launched before the competition, but even after that within reasonable time does help.

In India more than any type of publicity... the fact that a car is selling, acts as a deciding factor... *I don't think, SRK was the factor in selling santro (he just made people aware that there is a car called Santro by Hyundai)... but for maruti's cars.. one doesn't need to make people aware.

Though WagonR was a bit late.. *after some time when it started selling more than Santro in the NCR (national Capital region).. (can't comment about current status)... In some states Maruti continued the non-MPFI cars (even WagonR)... so obviously it couldn't get to santro everywhere.

I agree over confidence is a major issue... and also the Govt. Vs Suzuki thing.

Like now, Govt. Vs Suzuki is.. not a issue... still I can't see that aggression about launching Ignis and Liana .. in time.

suzuki cud do some good by launching a zen on the lines of the 1.6palio gtx.
the zen cud be re launched with a 1.3 liter engine of the esteem with te zen gear box,wider tires,abs,tcs and all teh other goodies .
and above all slightly stretchthe body to make for more leg room and boot space.
here suzuki cud have a winner.

i agree with speedsatya......hey he can get a job as the creative head in maruti ..if i were to decide the post..
but hyundai is fastest manufacturer to react in terms of creativity.....almost every 9 months they have a change for good
we must truly appreciate that work of the ppl at hyundai....

true.. hyundai... is really active. And I admire hyundai for that.

None of MUL's diesel cars have been a success. The Zen D, Esteem Diesel have all been a flop. I think MUL shud stick to its petrol cars. Only thing needed is a change. A total revamp of almost all its models. Alto is fine as a beginners car. Wagon R, Zen, Baleno, Esteem all of them need a complete revamp.