Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2022, 10:12   #16
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Roxor caught testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyX View Post
It also does 70+ mph on highways and stays there. I'd gladly take it over any new age contraption to put around.
As far as I know it is not street legal, only meant to be driven off-road.
Old 2nd October 2022, 10:30   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrit_bareta View Post
Wow, that 2.5-liter engine with 61 HP is incredibly powerful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
2.5 litre turbocharged diesel engine producing 61 BHP and 195 Nm torque @1400-2200 rpm. @Rushlane, are you guys serious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post

That said, they could launch this with the 1.5l diesel engine (either 3 pot or i4), and maybe price it below 8 lakhs...
Trust me guys. Dont trust the on-paper figures. This particular 2.5L engine is sooo torquey, it would beat the living hell out of even the best in the business with double displacement. The main issue with this engine is the low rpm.

BUT Driveability wise, it's a rockstar. No better engine for an offroader. Even the newer m-hawk engine cannot outperform this engine in absolute low end torque and driveability.

Last edited by dhanushs : 2nd October 2022 at 10:31.
dhanushs is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 10:38   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Trust me guys. Dont trust the on-paper figures. This particular 2.5L engine is sooo torquey, it would beat the living hell out of even the best in the business with double displacement. The main issue with this engine is the low rpm.

BUT Driveability wise, it's a rockstar. No better engine for an offroader. Even the newer m-hawk engine cannot outperform this engine in absolute low end torque and driveability.
Dear member, if this car doesn't have M-Hwak engine, then which 2.5 liter engine is it, isn't it the engine that Mahindra is using in its pickups?
Old 2nd October 2022, 12:19   #19
BHPian

Yes. It is the same 2523 cc DI @DI Turbo@ MDICr 2.5. Though an age old engine having absolutely no top end, it beats even the M Hawk 2.2 in lower end torque and offroad driveability. Besides it will probably outlive all its owners in (engine) life. I know pik ups with this engine having more than 500000 on the odo and still chugging on.cool:
Ashley Nair is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 12:20   #20
BHPian

Wasn't the first gen thar discontinued because it didn't meet crash test norms? I'd think with the roxor being basically a thar with a different skin would fare the same fate.
Old 2nd October 2022, 12:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
As far as I know it is not street legal, only meant to be driven off-road.
It's not, in the US. They still have provisions to register it for the road in certain states which they do quite often. It's the same underneath as the final version original Thar m2dicr jeep, which was still street legal before it got axed. Since it got replaced with the Thar SUV, there's now a vacuum for a new jeep in indian market.
Old 2nd October 2022, 15:05   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The Mahindra Roxor has been spotted in India for the first time, which suggests that the carmaker could be planning to introduce it in the domestic market.
I doubt Mahindra will invest so much in doing necessary changes to make it street legal in India (Crash safety, RHD, Airbags..).

If not street legal, then what market and volumes will Mahindra be looking at ?

Golf courses/ resorts/ amusement parks etc will probably prefer electric vehicles now to avoid bad marketing.
Old 2nd October 2022, 15:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post
Is the Roxor's engine is its current form BS6 compliant?
The Bolero camper gold zx has this engine and is BS6 compliant. I have personally seen and driven the vehicle and only had a DPF I guess. No SCR system found on exhaust nor any additional DEF fluid tank.

I wonder why they killed it for passenger vehicles like Bolero plus besides being exceptionally refined as compared to the old tractor like offering.
Old 2nd October 2022, 17:59   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
2.5 litre turbocharged diesel engine producing 61 BHP and 195 Nm torque @1400-2200 rpm. @Rushlane, are you guys serious?
Remember reading somewhere long back: Power is what you pay for, Torque is what you drive.

I will not argue against what Dhanush has said there. He will know what he is talking about.
condor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 18:44   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

Not doubting the 2.5l at all.

Just that Mahindra has all but stopped offering it in PVs and is also plonking the 1.5l 3 pot in their smaller pickup trucks. So less chance if they are going to launch a cheaper jeep with the 2.5l.

Last edited by DicKy : 2nd October 2022 at 18:58.
Old 3rd October 2022, 09:41   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Not doubting the 2.5l at all.

Just that Mahindra has all but stopped offering it in PVs and is also plonking the 1.5l 3 pot in their smaller pickup trucks. So less chance if they are going to launch a cheaper jeep with the 2.5l.
I dont think the problem is cost, it should be meeting emission norms.
Old 3rd October 2022, 15:35   #27
BHPian

If the rumours are true M&M should try and fix the front fascia ASAP. The front end of the Short wheelbase Bolero Invader/ or the face of the previous gen Thar would be a perfect solution for the Roxor. An attractive face would certainly up the appeal of this off roader considering the fact that they don't have to worry about legal hassles in India. Nothing comes close to a torquey short wheelbase 4×4 when the going gets impossible. M&M should give it a face which Roxor really deserves IMO.
Phantom 510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 17:50   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom 510 View Post
If the rumours are true M&M should try and fix the front fascia ASAP. The front end of the Short wheelbase Bolero Invader/ or the face of the previous gen Thar would be a perfect solution for the Roxor. An attractive face would certainly up the appeal of this off roader considering the fact that they don't have to worry about legal hassles in India. Nothing comes close to a torquey short wheelbase 4×4 when the going gets impossible. M&M should give it a face which Roxor really deserves IMO.
Thar m2dicr/Roxor is a MWB, not SWB. Erstwhile Mahindra Classic was a SWB. Roxor had a familiar front end before. They don't have to try to fix it, they just need to revert to the previous assemblies. MANA was forced to rework the front end to bypass the hurdles FCA threw at it.
SandyX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 17:55   #29
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Thanks for the support & understanding

Last edited by GTO : 4th October 2022 at 11:16.
Phantom 510 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th October 2022, 21:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
With the Thar moving so upmarket, could there be a business case for a cheap 4x4 though? I think it could be worth a few hundred units each month and there's no real cost to Mahindra as it's already building the Roxor / has the supply chain ready.
Agree; who wouldn't want to buy a rough and tough 4x4 instead of that "expensive" 2 wheeler during the mid-age crisis.
I would lap it up at ~5 lakhs. Might give it a hard think <10 lakhs.

Quote:
I drive a 2.5L engine from the same family and can tell you it's pathetic on the open road. Very good & tractable under 70 kmph, but a pain at 80 kmph and above.
Yes, that is the problem with the engines that produce high torque at low rpm. They cannot sustain it over a large range of RPM and thus, run out of steam at high speeds.
In such cases, isn't it possible to play around with the final drive ratio and improve the overall torque spread vs the ground speed? I know it will reduce the low-end response, but then these "locomotive" engines are already very good in the "low-end response" department and not as much required in urban situations.

Most Viewed