Old 6th October 2008, 22:10   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
but vw is not a company the prices the car well either
they might quote 30lacs for it

considering their other cars
You are right!
They may think for 30L there is no SUV and no competition, so they can sell more.
Old 7th October 2008, 22:49   #167
Team-BHP Support

Went to the Outlander launch today at Southern motors. First I'm posting the pics then I'll continue with my observations.

Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!-p1010069-large.jpg

Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!-p1010070-large.jpg

Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!-p1010071-large.jpg

Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!-p1010072-large.jpg

Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!-p1010074-large.jpg

Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!-p1010076-large.jpg

Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!-p1010077-large.jpg

Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!-p1010079-large.jpg

Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!-p1010080-large.jpg

Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!-p1010081-large.jpg
Old 7th October 2008, 22:57   #168
Team-BHP Support

Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!-p1010091-large.jpg

Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!-p1010090-large.jpg

Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!-p1010089-large.jpg

Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!-p1010088-large.jpg

Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!-p1010087-large.jpg

Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!-p1010086-large.jpg

Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!-p1010082-large.jpg

Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!-p1010085-large.jpg

Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!-p1010083-large.jpg

Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!-p1010084-large.jpg
Old 8th October 2008, 07:53   #169
BHPian

Was at the launch as well.
The Outlander looks amazing!
I am sure it can take the Honda CRV easily.

Some of the features that were observed (demo vehicle would be available in a weeks time for test drives)

1) Stunning road presence
2) Ample boot space
3) 2.4 MIVEC with 170 PS (@6000 RPM) and 226 Nm of Torque (@4100 RPM)
4) Xenon lights
5) Reverse parking sensors
6) Versatile seating (Rear seats can be folded with a button)
7) Superb music system
8) Yokohama 215 70 R16
9) Keyless Operation
10) Paddle shifters
11) 4WD (Centrally located dial makes shifting from 2WD to 4WD seamless)
12) All 4 16' Disc brakes with ABS and EBD
Old 8th October 2008, 08:16   #170
Senior - BHPian

Its awesome. Especially this color in the posts.
Waiting for the detailed TD soon.
Old 8th October 2008, 09:19   #171
Team-BHP Support

Yes the outlander looks outstanding. It has a great presence and looks perfectly balanced.

On the outside the car has xenon lamps, headlamp washers, rear parking sensors, LED tail lamps, double opening hatch for easy loading, 16" alloys and not 15" which was mentioned here by someone. The tyres are yokohama geolander's 215/70-16.

The colours available are really bright ones and there are 7 to choose from. This particular blue looks smashing in person.

The interiors also impress. When you open the door it opens with the german 3 clicks and good solid Electric seats which provide very good support. Steering is height adjustable but not reach. Rear seats are very comfy, like the CR-V they recline, the right side seat slides as well. For extra luggage space the seats double fold with a trick. You only need to press a button and the seats fold by them selves.

The Rockford Fosgate system is mindblowing. Sounds very nice. It features front 6.5" components, rear 6.5" coaxials a 12" sub in the boot and all this is driven by an 8-channel amp. The HU is a 6-cd unit but what surprises is teh lack of an AUX input stereo or USB. On the other hand it can stream music via bluetooth from any bluetooth device. It not only has keyless entry but has the RFID type entry which means if you walk up to the car holding the key, the door unlocks. what's funny is you can start the car as well without taking out the key. The ignition knob is just a plastic knob which is always inside the ignition. You can only turn the knob if the key fob is within 70cm of the car. Onboard trip computer is very comrehensive and even has a service reminder along with usual fuel consumption stats.

There is ample bootspace as this is only a 5 seater thanks to ARAI norms for the full size spare wheel which left no space for the rear bench. For easy loading the bottom part of the hatch also opens up.

When you pop the hood teh first thing you notice is that the engine is very low down. This means low centre of gravity. Also you notice the strut braces which I have seen only on the accord.

For small offroading adventures the car has on teh fly selectable 4WD as well as diff lock. You can change from 3 settings i.e. 2WD, 4WD and 4WD diff lock.

The onroad price in bangalore is 24.65L.
Old 8th October 2008, 11:32   #172
BHPian

Sorry posted it in the test drive area..

Went and had a look at the vehicle at Southern Motors this evening..Impressions:

Exterior:
- Looks like it is slung low - similar to the Subaru Outback.. More a perception..
- Decent set of mags
- Bumpers seem to be similar to the X-trail - flexible and the 5mph spec.
- parking sensors
- nice LED tail lights
- no indicators in the mirrors
- the sparewheel is slightly visible (mounted below the boot) - loosening a screw inside (base of the boot) releases it
- Roof and the vehicle seems lower than the CRV (height 1680 vs 1710 of CRV though GC is higher than CRV by 1cm)
- HIDs, washers, fog lamps - front and rear..

Interior:
- Good quality interiors overall - similar to CRV possibly better
- easy to get in and out..
- Seats dont have lumbar support, but feels comfortable and holds the sides well - electrically operated and does have a heater (front two seats) - not much use down south!
- first vehicle that i did not feel the need to push the seat right to the end (i am 6'2")
- Dash well layed out, but the LED's dont seem to have the sharpness (MID)
- Steering control has volume, selection, cruise control..paddle shifters and is leather mounted and looks and feels sporty
- All controls - hand brake, gear lever, drive control, audio, A/C, parking sensor control (audio) easily accessible
- Loads of space to store stuff
- electrically operated rear view mirrors including folding, but fairly simple small rear view mirror
- no sunroof, but in India with the heat i think its fine to not have one
- keyless entry
- engine immobolizer with security system
- none of the fancy elevation/compass stuff that the pajero has
- speakers well positioned to provide the best factory fitted sound for this price bracket and lower
- Leather upholstory is decent, but as someone else mentioned not as high end as the jetta
- The lighting control is on the left, but could be OK considering it is an automatic, otherwise painful in a manual shift..
- HID, fog lamps (front and rear) control
- electrical outlets in dash (below the music system - lighter) and in the glove compartment
- 6 speed gear box with triptonic/paddeshift must be cool to use
- switchable between 2 wheel drive/4 wheel/lock modes while in motion at any speed

Rear
- Flatish floor and three adults would be a little bit of a squeeze, but supposed to be wider than the CRV (by 2cms).
- Fantastic leg space - the rear seats can be pulled ahead or pushed back! Tilt back
- Split (similar to the CRV)
- rear vents are below the front seats apparently (similar to the embera) - i guess you dont have to worry about airconditioning with mitsubishi!
- Roof height is quite decent for my height
- a central cushion drops down with two cupholders

Boot
- Spacious (probably larger than the CRV) with the subwoofer tucked on one side and the tool kit on the other
- levers to automatically drop and fold rear seats
- protector to draw out for privacy of boot content
- good finish overall
- didnt seem to be an electrical outlet
- great feature of a tailgate opening - protects the paint when you drag stuff from the boot, especially suitcases, and doubles up as a cool place to sit (similar to the older CRV?)

Engine
- Sounded quite, but did not get a chance to rev it too much as it was in the showroom
- looks cool
- torsion bar visible clearly

Noticed in the spec sheet - turning radius of 5.3m - similar to most cars - CRV is 5.54

Seems like a very nice package - only wish it had the X-trail/passat engine in it! It would have kicked everyone's butt. But with Mr.Deora thinking of a dual pricing strategy, especially for diesel, things may not matter..Deliveries start in couple of weeks and a TD vehicle should be available from monday.. looking forward to driving this vehicle. It cetainly promises to be a great ride for the highway, and with the auto for bangalore traffic as well..
Old 8th October 2008, 12:23   #173
Senior - BHPian

Very nice shots and very nice car. Thanks Vid6639, raajks, rangaraj for details. So do you all feel that the price is justified?
Old 8th October 2008, 12:29   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Very nice shots and very nice car. Thanks Vid6639, raajks, rangaraj for details. So do you all feel that the price is justified?
The price is almost the same as the 2.4L CR-V AT. Compared to the CR-V, the car is fully loaded. It has much more features, is bigger and has better off road ability.

On it's own all these cars are over priced. The CR-V and the Captiva are not worth the price they command.

So compared to the competition the pricing is on par and you get more car than the competition.
Old 8th October 2008, 12:43   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am curious because you are willing to pay 24.6L on-road to Outlander just by looking at the specs
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The onroad price in bangalore is 24.65L.
Wow, I was spot on with my calculation of on-road price for Karnataka.
Old 8th October 2008, 12:52   #176
BHPian

Is this the first SUV under 25 lakhs to receive five three-point seatbelts and five headrests?
Old 8th October 2008, 13:06   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The price is almost the same as the 2.4L CR-V AT.
Both cars are similarly priced abroad. But in India, locally assembled Outlander was meant to be substantially cheaper than the imported CRV (due to different import duty applicable) but that did not happen
Old 8th October 2008, 14:10   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
At the moment, if you look at premium SUV's - brand value, good quality interiors - there was only the CRV.

The GV, Endy, Captiva, Tuscon do not have either the brand value and in some cases the interiors..

The pajero has brand and capability but not the interiors..

The X-trail is neither here nor there..

The there are the Toyota/Montero etc. in a totally different price bracket.

The Outlander fits into the CRV slot, but still a CKD at the price of a CBU with a few extra bits thrown in does not justify the price, but then what are the alternatives? As i said, it will be interesting with the new plant that Honda has opened, if they launch a locally assembled CRV at Endy prices..
Old 8th October 2008, 14:31   #179
Senior - BHPian

I like what I see. This could be my next car - now to assemble those green bucks.
Old 8th October 2008, 15:43   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Both cars are similarly priced abroad. But in India, locally assembled Outlander was meant to be substantially cheaper than the imported CRV (due to different import duty applicable) but that did not happen
True, what happened there? How is a CKD the same price as a CBU? Perhaps this is the premium Outlander with the fancy music system, auto gears etc. In a little while Mitsu may take out a price-warrior Outlander. But even then I think it will end up costing the same as the 2.0 CRV.
Im still confused as to what Mitsu has done.

Most Viewed