Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2008, 13:30   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ym-engn - The U.S. CR-V and the Outlander are pretty common. The Outlander is cheaper and offers a lot more equipment than a similar priced CR-V. Also, engines are similar in structure but detuned. Surprisingly, features on both the cars are pretty similar as well. The version we get here in A/T is similar to the EX version of the CR-V (which is the top of the line version barring the EX-L which has navigation added). The Mitsubishi sold out here however is also the top of the line version but features such as the Rockford Fosgate Music system (which is amazing! We had it on our rental Montero in Switzerland) are actually options here.

@Guna and BikerSG - The report was taken from the C&D magazine. I shall re-check it once again and confirm. I doubt any indian magazine has compared the Outlander to the CR-V yet.
Old 15th October 2008, 14:07   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSG View Post
i cant believe the consumer reports website rated the crv better off-road than the outlander.

the crv with AWD and only 20% power that can be transferred to rear wheels and that too automatically, CANT be better that the outlander which has a proper 4WD system.

does anybody else have the same opinion?
Yes I do.
Automatic AWD are not effective as per my knowledge as they come in to play only once a slip is detected, but by then crucial momentum is lost and wheelspin and getting stuck is a real possibility.
CRV may have lesser GC also. Outlander seems to be having engive protected underneath (not too sure)
Old 16th October 2008, 00:36   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Well,
I just read the article.
The Outlander didn't perform as good off road because of the street tyres and because it had a bad departure angle.
Rest checked. The CR-V beat the Outlander by the slightest of margins, just a point in the interiors and in ergonomics and fit and finish and a few other things.
Old 16th October 2008, 01:39   #214

i just happened to drive the outlander on the road for a while and a bit off it. It has a approach angle of 21.9 degrees or so which is good for a SUV its size but the big and bulky exhaust canister keeps rubbing with the rubble...blame that for poor offroading.
Old 16th October 2008, 01:43   #215

You can also chose between 2WD,4WD 'Auto' and 4WD lock using the knob right below the shift stick..which is good. Especially the auto mode which detects and supplies the right amount of torque to each wheel as when it is required. The engine is a bit noisy during sudden acceleration. i think its the MIVEC roar. The CVT 'mimics' a six speed transmission when you are using the paddle shifters.
Old 16th October 2008, 13:20   #216
BHPian

i drove the outlander just now. feels quite good. slightly quicker in auto mode than the auto crv. feels quite quick too.

the paddle shift levers are not fixed on the steering wheel unlike the civic.

The tyres are 215/70/16. Look quite narrow compared to the size of the vehicle. Shud have come with minimum 225's. and 17 inchers would have looked so much better.

the quality level of the interiors is not up to Honda standard. The quality of the switchgear is quite poor.

The rockford fosgate system is also quite good for an OE system. But not as good as I'd expected. I would have liked an aux input connection for my ipod.

overall I like it. I will probably get it for myself, unless the vitara 2.4 is launched soon!
Old 20th October 2008, 17:32   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 316kmph View Post
Hey guys,

The main reason for the similar pricing to the CRV is b'coz of 3 reasons

1. Mitsu must have invested heavily on the assembly line and don't expect to sell too many cars. (target is about 100 cars a month) and the localization is less than 10%. In order to recover the investment costs in a (unexpected) tight economic situation must have forced them into lower sales targets and set slightly (only slightly) higher sticker price.

As the yen strengthens & the demand for the outlander increases, local content will be increased and when the crv gets pricier, the outlander might hold.

2. The Mitsu is loaded. The following are what u get over a CRV.
HID (xenon low beams), Key less entry and go (no need to take the key out of your pocket, just walk close open doors and fire the ignistion). 650 W Rockforf Fosgate SOund System (plays MP3), Sub woofers, Selectable 4Wd, CVT with (preset 6 Speeds) via ****ronic & Paddle Shifts, AWC (4 wheel Traction Control), cigerette lighter with tray, cruise control, Multi Info Display with Service reminder and requirement indicators, Intermittent Wiper with varying speed, Ambient Temperature Display, Auto headlamp leveller, auto headlamp turn off, 1 touch tumble type fold up function for rear seat. Pinch sensitive power windows, Headlamp Washer, Heated front seats (not very useful though)

Cutting some of the above is very cheap trick by Honda to keep the price low. 1 would expect most of the above features in car on the other side of 20 lakhs.

What u get in the CRV and not in the Outlander are Dual A/c, Steering adjust for reach Aux in for Music (not sure if the Mitsu has it), Sunroof (not very useful), Indicators on wing mirrors (replacemnt mirrors are quite expensive).

I would appreciate 6 airbags on either cars but sadly both offer only 2.

Clearly the mitsu gives more bang for the buck.

The Mitsu certainly looks distinct, unlike the typical crossover SUV styled Honda.

But given Honda's brand image in India, I feel the Mitsu may JUST, and only just, be a lakh too many.
guys sorry about the ambient temp display. The Crv has it.
Old 20th October 2008, 21:08   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSG View Post
overall I like it. I will probably get it for myself, unless the vitara 2.4 is launched soon!
Seems like GV 2.4 was developed mostly for the American market. Are they launching it in other Asian countries?
Old 20th October 2008, 21:16   #219
Senior - BHPian

Just saw the Black Outlander on the road and i guess it was a TD car. I must say it was being driven a bit fast for the roads but the acceleration was good from the signal. The road presence was also good. I did not like the rear in the pictures but in real it suits the car. I liked the exterior look and the only thing left to see is the ride quality and the performance.
Old 20th October 2008, 21:19   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Seems like GV 2.4 was developed mostly for the American market. Are they launching it in other Asian countries?
They launched it in Australia a month or two ago..
Old 20th October 2008, 22:18   #221
BHPian

Will OUTLANDER be offered in 5+2 seating like the Captiva anytime soon?

The Outlander seems like a great VFM but my only dissapointment is that I need a vehicle that offers seating for 7 since I often have to carry more than 5 family members. I am not too worried about the legroom in the 3rd row since its only kids that ride there.

It seems that only the Captiva offers the extra seating in this category. I've considred the Endeavor but the beast won't fit in my Garage.

The more I compare the captiva with outlander, the more I like the outlander but boy I never thought I would be stuck on something like this.

I wish mitsu had put 5+2 seating.
Old 21st October 2008, 09:26   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoMAX View Post
Will OUTLANDER be offered in 5+2 seating like the Captiva anytime soon?
//snip//
I wish mitsu had put 5+2 seating.
They actually do in other markets. As per mags and various articles that I read, Indian laws required them to offer a full size spare wheel and because of that they couldn't put the bench in the rear.
Old 27th October 2008, 08:23   #223
Senior - BHPian

facelifted outlander-I don't understand why mitsubishi neds to put the same face on all their models...
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!-1.jpg  

Old 27th October 2008, 11:04   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
facelifted outlander-I don't understand why mitsubishi neds to put the same face on all their models...
Probably following the Audi tradition?
I think having a family look is fine but this is literally mapping the same styling across the range. Sports sedan (evo)and softroaders(outlander) are different kind of vehicles and should have different charecters which should reflect in the styling.
Old 27th October 2008, 21:13   #225
Senior - BHPian

The front look is no better than the present one. It looks ugly.! :-(
It was launched just now, so I do not think HM will change this sooner.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks