Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2007, 16:42   #1
BHPian

Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!

Japanese car major Mitsubishi Motors has announced their plans to launch their SUV model Outlander in the Indian market later this year.

The company has clarified that they have no plans to enter the Indian compact car market. Rivals like Nissan, Renault, Honda and Toyota have announced their plans to develop products to cater to this segment.

Kazyuki Kambayashi, general manager (Asia and ASEAN) of Mitsubishi spoke about their Indian plans while launching their Montero in India: ‘We are not planning to launch any small car in India for the time being. But later this year we will launch Outlander, which will be our fifth car in India’.

He further said: ‘We are open to ideas as the small car market is booming in India and we are still studying it. But we want to strengthen our hold in the SUV segment as Pajero and Montero are still our best selling vehicles worldwide’.

He also said that the company is now focusing its attention on developing electric cars to take on Honda and Toyota which dominates the hybrid auto market currently.

They might start by integrating the technology into their small car Colt that was launched two years back in Japan.

Kambayashi said: ‘We may trying to launch an electric version of Colt in Japan but it is a tough job as charging the car will be a big problem. So if we are successful we may also think of launching the product in India, as it is the booming market for small cars’.

Mitsubishi Outlander coming to India this year
Old 29th June 2007, 20:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

The 2008 Mitsubishi outlander looks pretty good.. I had been considering the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS(with the F1-style paddle shifts), and I did take a peek at the Outlander. Pretty good design,and lots of useful stuff inside the cabin.

Overall..a good buy..
Old 29th June 2007, 20:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Before launching new models IMO Mitsubishi should concentrate on getting some Lancer sales back, before launching niche models like the Outlander and the Monetero, Mitsubishi should get the new Lancer to India if it wants to survive in India
Old 29th June 2007, 21:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

enough SUV's...why not mitsubishi grandis???

Last edited by tushky : 29th June 2007 at 21:29.
Old 29th June 2007, 21:31   #5
BHPian

Thats a gud news espically for people like my cousin whoz hunting for a gud premium(diesel) SUV .
Is it going to be available in Diesel or petrol only and wht about the pricing ?

Thanks .
Old 29th June 2007, 21:52   #6
fb1
BHPian

They should launch evo here!!
Old 30th June 2007, 00:00   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
The 2008 Mitsubishi outlander looks pretty good.. I had been considering the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS(with the F1-style paddle shifts), and I did take a peek at the Outlander. Pretty good design,and lots of useful stuff inside the cabin.

Overall..a good buy..
Question remains...

Can they price it competitively against the Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.9 DDiS?
Old 30th June 2007, 01:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Question remains...

Can they price it competitively against the Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.9 DDiS?

I'm really not sure if they would price it along side the Grand Vitara. My guess is that it will be pitted at a higher price. Mitsubishi has always placed its cars at a higher price slot, so they might look at doing the same thing again. Since the Outlander comes with a lot of gizmos, it might cater to a person willing to shell out more money who'd go for a more trendy design.

I test drove the Outlander & the Grand Vitara here in Houston, and I definitely feel the Outlander would provide better ride comfort on Indian roads. The Vitara seems a tab bit stiff too. Again,it all comes down to an individual's driving taste.

Its nice to see so many new cars/SUVs hitting the Indian roads.
Old 30th June 2007, 02:11   #9
BHPian

It would be nice to Mitsu take an innovative approach in India - This is wishful thinking and severely flawed but would be cool nonetheless.

Kill the Lancer / Phase out the Cedia, Keep the Pajero / Montero / Bring in the Outlander / EVO X / A bunch of Ralliart / Dakar specials and whatever other SUV they have in their global stable and market themselves as true blue offroaders - rally inspired et all. Niche marketing and have products range from 10L to 40L. Essentially do like a Trail-Rated Jeep thing only with more panache and youthful exuberance.
Old 30th June 2007, 08:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

outlander is the next launch on the cards by HM and its true.

It will be prices alongside CR-V or X-trail and will come will all features intact (read that as no scissors )

HM was to launch the outdated outlander before but with their new strategy of being a niche player, they decided to wait.

kudos to HM for bringing in the best of their lineup.

Lancer X and mitsubishi I are also in lince.
Old 1st July 2007, 01:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

HM/Mitsubishi havent got a single hit product after the Lancer. Whats more, these were actually good cars in their own right. IMO they should think long and hard before they launch the Outlander as this could make or break the brand.

The Outalnder is a good product and it would be a pity if it were to go down as a car that had potential. They could look at localising engine production and start off with a high local content. HM desperately need to undercut the CRV, Grand Vitara and the Endy to have any chance of the Outlander selling well.
Old 1st July 2007, 04:14   #12
BANNED

CRV sees a worthy competitor.
Old 1st July 2007, 04:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

If they really want sales to rocket, they should think of launching the new Lancer or whatever the Evo X is based on. Knowing Mitsu, by the time they launch this Outlander here, it will be Out-dated-lander in the international market.
Old 1st July 2007, 13:47   #14
BHPian

It is a good SUV and i think will be definitely better than REST all as Honda Nissan or ford dont even come close to suspension Tuning ,off road capabilities OF Mitsubishi , only thing is Mitsu and there partener HM are the Two Poorest Car marketing companies in the world , and no wonder they have joined hands to make all the good cars floping one after the other ,outlander or new Mitsubishi lancer are required now and not in 2011
When they will be outdated and no body would want to buy them ,so they need to bring them now and at a right price not making it expensive than Crv or Nissan ,it should not be more than 15 L to be a success
Old 1st July 2007, 13:53   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubin2006 View Post
it should not be more than 15 L to be a success
The last time i heard was that HM was planning to price the car between the Current pajero and Montero . So ,it seems the outlander will not be priced less than Rs. 25 lacs . And if that happens ,talk about a daylite roberry ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks