Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2022, 14:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki S-Cross removed from the Nexa website. EDIT: Replaced by Grand Vitara

Maruti Suzuki has delisted the S-Cross from its official Nexa website. The carmaker’s Nexa range now consists of 5 models – Ignis, Baleno, Ciaz, XL6 and the recently launched Grand Vitara.

Maruti Suzuki S-Cross removed from the Nexa website. EDIT: Replaced by Grand Vitara-screenshot-20221008-143820.jpg

The Maruti Suzuki S-Cross was launched in 2015. Initially, it was offered with a 1.6-litre diesel engine. This potent powerplant was sadly discontinued after 2017. Until recently, the crossover was offered with a 1.5-litre mild-hybrid powertrain.

The fact that S-Cross has disappeared from Maruti’s website doesn’t come as a surprise, as it was already announced that the Grand Vitara would replace it.

The Grand Vitara is available with two engine options, including the familiar 1.5-litre mild-hybrid petrol engine. The second engine option is a 1.5-litre strong-hybrid.

Thanks to BHPian neeraj08 for sharing this information with other enthusiasts!

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 8th October 2022 at 14:40.
TusharK is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 15:29   #2
BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki S-Cross removed from the Nexa website. EDIT: Replaced by Grand Vitara

Wished Global S cross with 1.4 turbo engine was launched with some modifications under the disguise of Grand Vitara. They could have kept the 1.5 Naturally aspirated K15C engine as an option for the sake of Fuel economy conscious customers. After all fuel economy has been the DNA so far for Maruti. But the current powertrain has become monotonous. SUV's after all needs some power for that occasional emergency.

RIP S-cross in India !! (Unless maruti decides to bring the name back )
d-g-p is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 16:40   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Maruti Suzuki S-Cross removed from the Nexa website. EDIT: Replaced by Grand Vitara

Well, the S-Cross had a good run as a relatively expensive Maruti for 7 years. This news was expected though as Maruti had started winding down the car's production. In July & August, it was at 0 factory dispatches.

Still, this car in my books was one of the best Marutis ever made. The build quality, suspension tune & highway manners were more European than Japanese. And that 1.6L turbo-diesel was just far out .
GTO is offline   (74) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 18:24   #4
BHPian

With S-Cross being discontinued, the SX4 line has been retired for now. The SX4 still remains a very well-rounded sedan for the price while the S-Cross hatchbacks have got something of a cult following of their own.

With the Grand Vitara, I don't see a place for any future S-Cross/SX4 in India. It would have been interesting to see an AWD S-Cross come to India.
BrabarusMark is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 18:33   #5
BHPian

Sad to see one of my favourite Marutis getting permanently phased out.

S-Cross was definitely a car with a character. I never owned one, but always admired it. The saddest part is that the outgoing generation will not be replaced by the next-gen S-Cross in India. Grand Vitara might be a very good car, but I can't digest it as a replacement for the S-Cross in Nexa lineup.

On the other side, I personally believe that Ciaz is the next car to be axed from Nexa family as the current generation is too outdated now. Hope Maruti does something to refresh the model once again.

Last edited by Shreyfiesta : 8th October 2022 at 18:42.
Shreyfiesta is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 19:40   #6
BHPian

As the owner of one of the last S-Cross 1.6 diesels, a person with a love hate relationship with the car, I feel a bit sad that it has passed into history. It was perhaps the first proper effort at moving into the premium segment for Maruti ( I wont consider the SX4 the first, I had that one too, and the S-Cross is vastly superior in the refinement section, after removing the anomalies that the SX4 I had was petrol)

Having said that, S-Cross never gave Maruti the success that its bread-butter models did, neither did SX4 for that matter. But credit where it is due, they allowed people to experience a snippet of premium and performance feel while still getting the "kitna deti hai" (atleast for the S-Cross) and VFM tag.

Echoing Shreyfiesta above me, hoping to see the name plate resurrected in the not too distant future.
kosjam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 20:55   #7
BHPian

Fond memories of my old steed, a brown S-Cross 1.3 Zeta which served us incredibly well for 5 years! This news is not a surprise and the Grand Vitara will ably carry the premium SUV flag for Maruti forward. As others have said, the S-Cross was one of the best products in Maruti's stable. Its build quality, overall fit and finish, and sublime ride and handling had to be experienced to be believed. While the boot wasn't huge, it was still incredibly practical with the 60/40 flat folding seats and the overall stance meant it had the perfect ingress and egress, as well as the ability to navigate both narrow gullies and sprawling expressways. The word "all-rounder" probably sums this car up the best. I will miss the S-Cross dearly.
Pyrotek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 22:37   #8
BHPian

As a pre-launch customer and one of the early owners of the S-Cross, I can say this was(and still is) truly a brilliant value for money offering. All wheel disc brakes, superb seating comfort, good build quality and practicality, amongst others, differentiated the S-Cross from cars in the same category and price.

The design language, albeit not dazzling, was something that continued to grow on me. What I think really let the crossover down was the lack of a spirited powertrain option coupled with an automatic gearbox. The 1.6 MJD with an AT gearbox would have significantly eased driving in bumper to bumper traffic, which was the biggest drawback of the larger configuration.

While the Grand Vitara comes in with a ton of features and is a more modern offering, the design can be polarising, and the compromises hard to overlook.

Maruti Suzuki S-Cross removed from the Nexa website. EDIT: Replaced by Grand Vitara-scross.jpg
pannags is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 05:32   #9
BHPian

Having just driven down in our S-Cross from Coimbatore to Chennai overnight amidst constant drizzles and highway traffic, I had just finished admiring it the way it handled on the roads at decent speeds, way it was comfortable for 5 of us including my parents and daughter for the overnight 500 km journey, all the while returning an insane 20 kmpl, opening Team bhp to find it is no more under sale anymore makes me realise how unsung hero this model has been coming from MS stable. This punches definitely more than its weight.
vshankarhere is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 08:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

An official goodbye to the S-Cross, our Transfomer.

Transformed many buying decisions in its favour despite not even existing in the shortlist to begin with. But when folks and families sat and drove it, it changed their minds or should I say cast a spell
Sales of the AT came as a surprise even to MSIL(as per some dealers to our members) and that's saying something.

A car which sort of resurrected itself(sales wise) during its last couple of years to folks who wanted substance over bling and even working out to be a VFM package(Zeta) was a testament to its character, old but strong.

I always looked at it as a large hatch with some extra GC to handle our realities(closely resembles the Golf mk 6) and IMO that's exactly what we need in an all rounder.

The sort of car which doesn't scream aggression but silently does its job flawlessly over decades, matches the Golf mk 6 and the Jetta mk6 in character.

Wish the current owners the best of drives and years with the S-Cross, our Transfomer

Last edited by shancz : 9th October 2022 at 08:45. Reason: Typo
shancz is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 08:46   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
.. substance over bling and even working out to be a VFM package(Zeta) was a testament to its character, old but strong.
May be it was so un-Maruti like that MSIL found that the expectations on them to bring in good cars was going to mount

Sad to see it go, but hope a newer model with a better engine & transmission comes soon.
condor is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 09:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
May be it was so un-Maruti like that MSIL found that the expectations on them to bring in good cars was going to mount
Well said, while recommending it to folks wary of a "Maruti" we used to say that it's a Maruti unlike a Maruti.

It's a pity that it was their last such attempt probably driven by the low sales as per their standards but IMO the 2020 facelift deserved a better engine and marketing at the very least.

Hope for better powertrains and cars like the S-Cross from MSIL.

Last edited by shancz : 9th October 2022 at 09:08. Reason: typo
Old 9th October 2022, 18:56   #13

I currently own one of 2 best engines offered by MSL. Pre-owned 2017 S Cross 1.6 Alpha and 2021 ignis sigma MT.
S Cross will be sorely missed when I will think of replacing my current.
Old 10th October 2022, 09:12   #14
BHPian

I drive our family's 2017 1.3L S-Cross. This was the first purchasing decision I made. I then believed I had some knowledge about cars. In retrospect, however, I know that the decision was mostly uneducated. Having read a bunch of Team-bhp reviews, we set out to the Nexa showroom intending to test drive and consider the Ciaz. I knew that the S-Cross was on offer but knew nothing about it.

Eager to sell the Ciaz to my parents, I rattled off all that I knew about it and showed them around the car. My father was somehow unimpressed with the seating position in the back seat. He described getting into it (maybe a little harshly) as going into the "paathaala loka." Undeterred, I pressed on with my agenda.

For a few minutes, my mother and I weren't paying attention, and my father had gotten into the back seat of the S-Cross. He said this is the car we were going to buy. I told him to hold his horses, because I had read nothing about it, but I knew that it sold in low volumes. So I went back home, and was reassured and enthused by Team-bhp's glowing reviews of the car.

There were so many arguments against it - whether we needed a diesel, whether the premium above the Ciaz was justified, whether a low-volume car is a good idea, etc. But coming from the lacklustre engine of a 2009 IndigoCS petrol, even the 1.3L MJD engine felt really exciting on the test drive.

So we ended up buying it. We took delivery on Vishu day in 2017.

I have learnt about cars, learnt to pay attention to how the car is behaving and reacting, developed a taste for nuance in the driving experience, and matured as a driver, all while driving the S-Cross. I don't think I could have had a better "teacher." This, despite driving for about 6 years and 40,000 km before it. With the (little more than in 2017) knowledge that I have today, I am mighty impressed with the car. The ride and handling balance is good. The steering, particularly with a set of Yokohama Earth 1 tyres feels really good. The steering is heavier than many would like, but I like it this way. The turbo lag sometimes makes itself felt, but past 2,000 rpm, there is actually a bit of a punch. The refinement for a diesel is rather impressive. However, road noise and suspension noises do tend to intrude.

Some have said that it feels European in its dynamics. It also offers the fuss-free Japanese ownership. Ours has done about 45,000 km now, and I will admit to being very tempted by the XUV300 Turbo Sport (pending team-bhp's review, of course).

But all in all, we really hit the jackpot with this purchase. It was mostly good fortune; I won't claim too much credit. Sad to see it go.

Last edited by naadopaasaka : 10th October 2022 at 09:15.
naadopaasaka is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 10:16   #15
BHPian

I own the 2015 1.3 Zeta model. Quite happy and it's gonna last 3-4 more years easily.
Driven on expressways, ghats, highways, and rains, everywhere the car is a workhorse. Have driven on pathetic roads and it's just been so graceful and fuss-free.
A lot of times we think of changing car, but the low maintenance and fuss-free character stops us from making any change.

As people have expresses it has a good European character and is a spacious car.

All I can say is RIP a beautiful and wonderful car that was true VFM. Unable to find a replacement is the best compliment that I can give to S cross.
akshatmangal is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks