Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2007, 21:19   #16
BHPian

Also there haven't been any 2 door editions except the zen carbon i think. Now if they launched one of the existing/upcoming hatches with a 2 door conversion I can very well see a few hungry tbhpians at the showrooms
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
I have always felt chevy srv is an awesome looking hatch - its expensive so if you own it, you get exclusivity too
But ever since I joined tbhp, i noticed there not one good thread dedicated to the 1.6 ltr 100bhp vehicle and in most cases 1.6 ltr palio is the defacto performance hatch recommendation. Even though srv has a good engine, I think its not tuned well and I am sure there must be ways of getting past that. That would make it one of the best looking performance hatches
I got this "exclusivity" by buying a simple Palio 1.2 NV Sport at 5L
Old 3rd July 2007, 13:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have always felt chevy srv is an awesome looking hatch - its expensive so if you own it, you get exclusivity too
But ever since I joined tbhp, i noticed there not one good thread dedicated to the 1.6 ltr 100bhp vehicle and in most cases 1.6 ltr palio is the defacto performance hatch recommendation. Even though srv has a good engine, I think its not tuned well and I am sure there must be ways of getting past that. That would make it one of the best looking performance hatches
The SRV is anything but performance. Infact the transmission is so pathetic, a bullock cart would give it a run for its money. Drive it and you'll realize why no one recommends it. It does look pretty decent, though the price they are charging for it is completely lame. The OTR price in bangalore is 8 lacs. GM seriously needs to put in a better engine and probably a new tranny and drop the price by 1-1.5lacs.
Old 3rd July 2007, 13:34   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1) skoda fabia - soon to be launched, but what are the specs and is it frequently modded (read easily modded)
2) fiat punto - again - soon to be launched, but what are the specs and is it frequently modded abroad
3) volkswagen golf - i read somewhere it will be launched in 2009
Hot hatches?

How come the fabia is a hot hatch now?
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
How come the fabia is a hot hatch now?
Maybe because it looks hot? I dunno.
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A performance hatch will generally mean two things:

1. Lower fuel-efficiency: The Palio 1.6 proved why this will never work.

2. Cost in the region (or over) sedans: Another bummer from the sales point of view.

If anything, this is a niche segment. But the smart manufacturer who is looking at enhancing the brand / image (and not outright sales) may just do well.
He is absolutely right. There could be a way around though. Think warm hatches rather than hot hatches. I say plonk in a 1.3 Multijet in 90bhp tune into the Palio and price it sensibly. Then you have a hot (looking) hatch with an engine to match + decent running costs thanks to the diesel.

The same can be done with a Swift DDiS. Think Petes..
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:48   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I think SRV is a very Hot Hatch - though not in the league of Performance Oriented Hatches, It still looks very Hot !! What say Mates ??

Just give it to Autopsyche & its going to be one Wicked looking Drive !!!
Its the best looking hatch in the country IMO. BUTtttt .... too very costly and still not as powerful.
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

When you say a Hot hatch, it shouldn't be hot in looks alone, it should be Hot in performance too!

And thatz where a Formula Red Palio 1.6 wins hands down!
Old 3rd July 2007, 18:58   #24
BHPian

well most hatches with a well tuned 1.6 ltr engne and looks would be a hot hatch (read performance). However we only have the palio 1.6 in that segment today, and no I am not complaining against palio 1.6, but I am sure we could use a few more such hatches from other auto-majors.

Fabia can be a hot hatch - I put it up there when i started the thread cos I wasnt sure what engine its gonna come with, the skoda site talks about engines all the way from 1.2 to 1.6 petrol and 1.4 to 1.9 in diesel. Depends on what they launch in India, which will decide whether its a hot hatch. Maybe the guys doing bookings without seeing the car (as mentioned in other thread would know)

also you gotta see this Skoda Concepts Cars - Super 2000 - home to believe skoda fabia can be a hot hatch

I am not sure if we have any other hot hatches coming in - maybe limited edition polo gti 1.8 150bhp when they do the polo 2009 launch
Why don't the auto makers understand - they will gain a lead in the performance community if they launch such cars!!
Old 3rd July 2007, 21:55   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Hot Hatch is likely to acquire the same lack of meaning in India as fully loaded or broadband --- once the marketing people get hold of it.

The Golf GTI was the archytype. Like, oh, some ordinary hatch back coming up behind.... Wow! Did you see that go past? What was it?

The hot hatch: looks like aunty's shopping car (well, they did, IIRC, stick an extra pair of headlights on the GTI) --- but doesn't drive like it!
Old 3rd July 2007, 22:43   #26
BHPian

well I was just going through the specs of the golfs
golf gt - 1.4ltr or 2ltr tdi generating 170bhp
golf gti - 2ltr 200bhp
golf r32 - 3.2 ltr V6

i'd love to have (read "be related to" - no double meanings) an aunty who owns any one of the above
Old 4th July 2007, 01:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Well Fusion itself is quite a hot hatch but then pricing the Fusion was never easy. But Ford could easily chop-off Ikons tail (add the mark V fiesta tailgate) and resurrect the josh engine. I think they can easily undercut the Palio 1.6 pricing.
Old 4th July 2007, 01:22   #28
BHPian

well the ford fusion certainly seems well specked - 1.6ltr 100bhp - but does it perform as well as the palio 1.6 or is it more like the chevy srv
Also i dunno why but it never did anything for me in the looks dept quite big and suv like and bulky not exactly ground hugging performance hatch types

Well only if we could get the performance of palio 1.6 in the body of chevy srv
Old 4th July 2007, 11:51   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Jassi... Yes, there are some very high-spec golfs now. Wasn't there a 3ltr or something silly at one point?

But the original GTI was.... dunno.... 1.6? 1.8?
Old 4th July 2007, 12:02   #30
BHPian

originally I am not quite sure - but now the gti is 2ltr 200bhp and r32 is 3.2ltr
Also the palio is not that hot a hatch in europe and hence no mods possible (only ffe and k&n and I have never head anyone do tc'ing, cam jobs, wild porting/polishing, etc) I would want to see some euro hot hatch on indian roads which not only performs stock but also be mod friendly (atleast easy to get alloys not 98 pcd )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks