Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2007, 20:49   #1
BHPian

Upcoming hot hatches in India

Hi All - as of today hot hatches in India are few and far. Palio 1.6 normally comes to mind, and maybe swift if modded well. However this discussion is not what cars qualify as the existing hot hatches but more about which hot hatches we expect to be launched in India and are worth waiting for.
I am sure there are plenty of people who want the performance but not the 3 box boot - something thats easier to drive and park and all the more better if the hatch can be easily modded to a hot hatch

I have personally heard of the following on this forum and from magazines
1) skoda fabia - soon to be launched, but what are the specs and is it frequently modded (read easily modded)
2) fiat punto - again - soon to be launched, but what are the specs and is it frequently modded abroad
3) volkswagen golf - i read somewhere it will be launched in 2009

So throw in your ideas on what hatches are worth the wait, it will help us plan for and own that next hot hatch

cheers,
j
Old 1st July 2007, 22:04   #2
BHPian

I think this has been discussed n number of times
Old 1st July 2007, 23:11   #3
BHPian

Hi Navdeep - i have been trying to look across the forum on upcoming performance hatches, but theres bits and pieces of info scattered here and there, easier if you know the name (like fabia) but mostly one doesn't know the name of a future car and hence forum search don't work. I was looking at a one stop thread for anyone who wants to know what performance hatches are going to be launched and what to expect if one waits for them, irrespective of whether detailed threads exist for those cars or not.
As of now I am not even sure if the above cars - fabia, punto or golf will be launched in a sports/performance package and with what engine. Or maybe someone could add if existing cars are going to have a sports variant - swift sport for example or if there are any other performance hatches which are going to be launched (honda, hyundai maybe??)
I tried searching with the following specific keywords - i tried "hot hatch", "upcoming hatch" and "performance hatch" all with no luck.
Hence just thought things would be easier with one thread
Once detailed thread exists for the car, people can be directed to those threads for further info, and we can continue discussing on this thread the cars that we don't yet have enough inputs to warrant a detailed thread.

Lets see if people have any inputs
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:02   #4
BHPian

I don't think we are still ready for hot hatches. There are good number of people who would like 2L 150 BHP hatches. But the numbers do not justify manufacturing such engines here. We are more obsessed with FE than safety and/or performance. So, expecting them is nice but will they be launched is the next question that comes to mind.
And even if they launch good cars, they will be launched with 1.2L engines for better FE.
Old 2nd July 2007, 13:15   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The only one worth waiting for is the Fiat Grande Punto - whenever thats realeased.
Old 2nd July 2007, 13:53   #6
BHPian

i heard the punto is going to be released in a diesel engine variant only (no petrol) and thats the same being used in swift diesel. Or do they have some more capacity engines lined up for the india launch.
Any honda hatchbacks - they were showing jazz on one of the news channels few months back.
Infact golf in 2009 seems really worth waiting for - if it is true
Old 2nd July 2007, 14:52   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A performance hatch will generally mean two things:

1. Lower fuel-efficiency: The Palio 1.6 proved why this will never work.

2. Cost in the region (or over) sedans: Another bummer from the sales point of view.

If anything, this is a niche segment. But the smart manufacturer who is looking at enhancing the brand / image (and not outright sales) may just do well.
Old 2nd July 2007, 15:25   #8
BHPian

Fiat Grande Punto is worth the wait...
Volkswagen Golf... to good to be true...

Hellcat.
Old 2nd July 2007, 15:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

true - i think mfgs should have a sort of "agreement" with the govt to import performance cars sans duty for consuming public. this can then allow the few people to actually enjoy them.
Old 2nd July 2007, 15:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

I think SRV is a very Hot Hatch - though not in the league of Performance Oriented Hatches, It still looks very Hot !! What say Mates ??

Just give it to Autopsyche & its going to be one Wicked looking Drive !!!
Old 2nd July 2007, 15:56   #11
BHPian

I have always felt chevy srv is an awesome looking hatch - its expensive so if you own it, you get exclusivity too
But ever since I joined tbhp, i noticed there not one good thread dedicated to the 1.6 ltr 100bhp vehicle and in most cases 1.6 ltr palio is the defacto performance hatch recommendation. Even though srv has a good engine, I think its not tuned well and I am sure there must be ways of getting past that. That would make it one of the best looking performance hatches
Old 2nd July 2007, 15:56   #12
BHPian

Today's Times of India Bangalore Edition has an article stating that Honda plans to introduce 2 hatchbacks. One completely new (at M800 level) and another based on Jazz platform. HSIL folks have said that both the cars will be available by 2009 but at least one should be available in 2008.
Old 2nd July 2007, 15:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Too bad India will never see cars like the Civic Type-R for a while. The market is not mature enough for sure. I'd love to see a few sports coupes making their way to india too. Frankly between a hatch and a coupe of similar performance, I'd choose the coupe anyday.
Old 2nd July 2007, 16:48   #14
BHPian

now if honda launches a hatch - irrespective of what segment (800 or santro), I am sure many of our vtec friends maybe ready to plonk their vtec engines into a honda hatch instead of zen maybe
As far as volkswagen plans for india VW Targets India: Volkswagen Mulls Major Indian Factory - International - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News
and the polo is coming for sure if not golf Volkswagen Polo for India - VW’s new Polo variant by ’09, pictures and price
Old 2nd July 2007, 17:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

Civic - TYPE-R is one awesome car reignofchaos. I have had the luck to drive it when I was in UK in May. Just took it for a short spin near Leictershire. I do not have an International Driving License so I drove at someones farm, Boy was it AWESOME. It was great. I think when I checked with the owner, he said it costs £ 18000.00 ( That is over 14 Lacs in UK, imagine what is it in India )

Its a 1998 cc engine churning out 197 BHP !!!! Last heard / read somewhere, HONDA has no plans to introduce this car before 2010 in India. It will come one day but I just hope it does in time.

Till then we will do just fine drooling at SRV

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks