Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: An engine size-length OR emission based GST levy?
I would prefer the engine size - length based levy of GST 13 10.40%
I would prefer the emission based levy of GST 95 76.00%
I am undecided! 17 13.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2022, 08:15   #16
BANNED

Re: Tax new cars based on emissions - Nissan Motor India MD!

Don't give ideas for tax in India, period. Ideas are not radio buttons, instead checkboxes which are mandatory. If implemented in our country, a new tax called 'emission tax' would be introduced in addition to all the existing taxes and an additional cess called 'emission cess' would be added on top of this new tax. Looks like most here are positive about our future, may be I am just a pessimist.
pavi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 10:26   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

An Emission based levy makes sense. There should also be a fair, well enunciated, honestly executed vehicle inspection and fitness rating system based on multiple parameters including but not limited to, proper maintenance, lights, condition of the bodywork, tyre condition etc, like the MOT in the UK. Sufficient weightage should be given to a good performance in this as well along with the emissions being within the tolerance limits.
My 10 year old and 8 year old cars, for example, are way better maintained and looked after than many cars which are nearly brand new. This is true of most Private vehicle owners of a certain ‘level of enthusiasm’ all of whom love and care for their cars. I simply shudder at the thought of the Taxis and public transport and municipal transport vehicles, in India at least.
Old 24th October 2022, 11:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Emission based taxes since it will allow the Auto makers to offer their cutting edge products instead of chopping and cropping the cars just for our market with under powered 1.2L engines.

Also Strong hybrid tech will be a winner if this becomes a reality.
Old 24th October 2022, 12:19   #19
BHPian

I would like the tax component split and based on two factors:-

1. Emission (Lower Emission = Lower Tax and vice versa)

2. Safety Rating (Higher Safety Rating = Lower Tax and vice versa)
Old 24th October 2022, 14:42   #20
BHPian

There are various technologies that industry is experimenting like Natural gas, strong hybrids, battery-electric, hydrogen fuel cells, plug-in hybrids, biogas etc. However our taxation policy is limited to ICE cars with limited relief to BEV. I think emission based taxes make sense as GoI would no longer dictate propulsion technology or size.

Going one step further, states can consider levying road-tax on annual or bi-annual basis instead of current life-time. They can check emissions and levy registration renewal tax/cess based on real tailpipe emissions. This will kill many birds like issuing NOC, checking PUC etc., while generating additional income to dealers, FNGs, tire shops etc. This will also reduce the initial on-road price by upto 15-20% in most cases.

Last edited by Comrade : 24th October 2022 at 14:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks