Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2007, 12:06   #61
BHPian

Hey dxb_roller,

Hope that this will settle the argument once and for all....
__________________________________________________ ______

This is what usually happens (not every time, mind you) when a person buys a car in India for the first time:

A typical Indian family (father, mother, son, daughter) walks into a car showroom, let's say Tata, for instance.

Father (to sales exec) : Can I have a look at the range of Tata cars for a family of four?

Sales exec : Yes, we have Indicas in petrol and diesel in the price range of 3 to 4.5 lakh, Indigos in petrol and diesel in the price range of 4.5 to 6 lakh and.........

Father (interrupts) : What is the fuel economy of the petrol and diesel Indicas? What is the price difference in petrol and diesel models? Isn't the Indigo an Indica with a boot and a slightly powerful engine... Why do you feel that I should pay a lakh more for an equivalent Indigo with a boot?

The sales exec gives all answers which he has apparently mugged up a thousand times.

Son (overenthusiastic): Dad, please go for the Indigo.. I want a big car for our family...

Father : Arey beta, that money can be saved for your further education.... or maybe we can buy a small piece of land in our native village which will ensure healthier profits in the future.

Mom : Dad is right, we should go for the Indica.

Daughter (disinterested) : Come on dad, let's go home... I am bored.

Father: The decision is final...

Dad will enquire about loan facilities, pay the necessary downpayment and it's a deal........

(This might not be true in all cases, but it's a typical example of what happens in car showrooms across the country. I hope T-BHPians will agree)
__________________________________________________ __________

That is basically the difference between India and the rest of the world.

Honestly, some of my relatives can easily afford high-end Hondas and Toyotas, but are still happy and content to use their trusty tiny Maruti 800s. 'Coz in India, apart from a small bunch of enthusiasts, an automobile is still a point A to point B means of transportation.

That's India for you.

Come on, show me a county where a Maruti 800 is chauffer-driven.

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 12th July 2007 at 12:09.
Old 12th July 2007, 12:12   #62
Senior - BHPian

i think there is enough money for people to buy the exotics in India. But the point is WHERE DO I DRIVE IT ?
our roads are not pothole ridden, in between potholes we have roads its that bad. Also if you are seen in a flashy car immediately there will be some 'bhai' from dubai calling you from protection money. and then there is our Mr. Tax inspector waiting to catch you with your pants down when you buy an exotic.

Another reason can be the 106% duty.

Becase i personally know of people who can afford the most expensive car like the veyrons and enzo's and the maybachs but still go around in accords or e or c classes purely becase of these reasons.

P.s: I hope this answer wasnt off topic as 90% of the whole thread.
Old 12th July 2007, 12:27   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb roller View Post
the reason boing is coming to india is since labour is cheap they tried china also apparneltly but things didnt work out so.... secind cheapiest option india anyways do a little reaserch the biggest buyers for boing are in the mid east even the only a380 being bought to be used as a private jet in the world is being bought by a buyer in mid east though they arent reaviling the name and btw 12,000 crores isnt 4.8 trillion $$$
Wouldn't wanna dwell in the past but there were times from days of yore when out of sheer contempt a exotic as one may call it today was turned into a garbage carrier by one of the monarchs ruling a small state in this vast nation. If one peeps into the glorious past of India one would realise that this was the hub for most of Rolls Royce's sales.

It is said that when a Rolls Royce salesperson used to bag a huge order he was said to have achieved a Maharajah (Monarch).

Well, it is well known that this Country which has never attacked another was invaded and plundered in the past. We have risen from the ashes and are on the path to a glorious future which is built on a rock solid foundation. Please do take into consideration that every transition stage has a lull period. Every crest has it's trough.

To sum up this all I need to add is give it time. Wait and watch and not too later we would be flooded with so called exotics whatever be the duties (which we gladly pay alongwith our taxes for the growth of our country), or the price of fuel.
Old 12th July 2007, 17:23   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Wouldn't wanna dwell in the past but there were times from days of yore when out of sheer contempt a exotic as one may call it today was turned into a garbage carrier by one of the monarchs ruling a small state in this vast nation. If one peeps into the glorious past of India one would realise that this was the hub for most of Rolls Royce's sales.

It is said that when a Rolls Royce salesperson used to bag a huge order he was said to have achieved a Maharajah (Monarch).

Well, it is well known that this Country which has never attacked another was invaded and plundered in the past. We have risen from the ashes and are on the path to a glorious future which is built on a rock solid foundation.
Please don't fall for this politician-spewed drivel. Maharajas were always rich, and us common folk were always poor. Just because Ambani or Premji is worth billions doesn't mean you are rich.

India has never existed as a country, so the question of attacking or not does not arise. FYI, how do you think Ashoka, the Mauryas, the Guptas, the Mughals built their vast empires? It sure wasn't by buying their neighbours roses.
Old 12th July 2007, 18:25   #65
Team-BHP Support

DXB Roller, you surely see SLs and Land Rovers and many such exotics day in and day out, and there is cetainly no chance one would be able to count them on his fingertips, but fact yet remains that you lifted the pictures you have posted from some exoticspotter.com website, which sorta means that even in DUBAI one does not discard the value attached to an exotic.

manson.
Old 12th July 2007, 18:44   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Well, it is well known that this Country which has never attacked another was invaded and plundered in the past. We have risen from the ashes and are on the path to a glorious future which is built on a rock solid foundation. Please do take into consideration that every transition stage has a lull period. Every crest has it's trough.

This is exactly kind of morale boosting stories, apart from the silly macro economic data (sorry i missed the economic in my last post) that we are clinging on to for support.

@suren, AFAIK, India was a cluster of countries reigned together by the British & formed as one country, India. Before that we were a cluster of nations that always loved invading our neighbours & showing off our strengths.

I think we are going wayy off topic. Maybe the mods can change the name of this thread to something appropriate & shift it to the shifting gears section.
Old 12th July 2007, 21:14   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Before that we were a cluster of nations that always loved invading our neighbours & showing off our strengths.
well.. same was the case with European countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I think we are going wayy off topic. Maybe the mods can change the name of this thread to something appropriate & shift it to the shifting gears section.
agree..
Old 12th July 2007, 21:31   #68
BHPian

oooh, this thread is interesting... I am learning so much! We were always 'poor' (never mind that we had 25% of world GDP up until the british came), we were small warring nations (never mind that we were one country from afghanistan to burma until 3rd century and then buddhism took over), we were uncivilized (never mind that we were much better than the greeks) ... ummm lemme see, I covered Marx, British and Islamic versions of history. Did I miss anything? Oh yes, I forgot the modern western version - all Indians smell like curry, 80% of Indians are poor and every other Indian is a snake charmer. There, that covers all the stereotypes about India. Please add if I missed anything.

You can deal with pessimists but cannot deal with people of low esteem. I am out of this thread.

Anyway, the discussion we are having is not in the scope of Team-BHP. This should be discussed on India-forum or Bharat-rakshak. Mods should close this thread IMO.

Last edited by Mayavi : 12th July 2007 at 21:45.
Old 20th February 2008, 17:52   #69
BHPian

An Emirati businessman broke all records for the world’s most expensive number plate on Saturday, paying 52.2 million dirhams ($14.5 million) for plate number ‘1’ at an Abu Dhabi auction.

Abu Dhabi businessman Saeed Abdul Ghaffar Khouri more than doubled the current record held by Talal Ali Mohammed Khouri who paid 25.2 million dirhams for plate number ‘5’ in May 200, also paying 11 million dirhams for the number '7' plate.

Ghaffar Khouri told ArabianBusiness.com after the auction that he had not bought the plate as an investment, although he predicted its worth would double within two years.

Bidding for plate number '1' had started at 20 million dirhams, and quickly escalated to a war between Ghaffar Khouri and another determined bidder.

Ghaffar Khouri, whos business is property development and sharemarket-related, said he had been prepared to pay up to 100 milion dirhams for the plate. He was yet to decide which vehicle it would be attached to, he said.

The auction, on behalf of Abu Dhabi police, generated a record 89 million dirhams from the sale of 90 plates, including numbers 96, 100, 212, 1111, 2001 and 31313.

Previous record holder Mohammed Khouri had earlier said he was willing to splash out $15 - $20 million to get his hands on the coveted number ‘1’ plate. However, while he was present at the auction, he is not believed to have successfully bid on a plate.

The UAE now holds the seven most expensive plates in the world.

Auctioneer and managing director of Emirates Auction, Abdulla Matar Al Mannaei, said expectations prior to Saturday's sale were "huge", but that the final value exceeded "our wildest hopes and dreams".

“Distinguished number plate auctions have been a preferred investment option for Emiratis”, Al Mannaei said, adding that there has been an average 20% appreciation in plate values per year.

Five previous auctions raised $56 million from the sale of 393 plates.

100% of plates up for auction on Saturday were sold, Al Mannaei said, with all six digit plates fetching 2 million dirhams or higher.

Ten-year old Hazaa Seif Ali Hammadi bid 2.15 million dirhams for plate number ‘51’ on behalf of his father, an Abu Dhabi businessman.

Proceeds from the auction will go towards building a national rehabilitation centre for traffic accident victims - the first of its kind in the UAE.
Old 20th February 2008, 17:54   #70
BHPian

the other determined bidder Ghaffar Khouri is his cousin
Old 21st February 2008, 00:10   #71

Quote:
An Emirati businessman broke all records for the world’s most expensive number plate on Saturday, paying 52.2 million dirhams ($14.5 million) for plate number ‘1’ at an Abu Dhabi auction.
Proceeds from the auction will go towards building a national rehabilitation centre for traffic accident victims - the first of its kind in the UAE.
This post looks like the ads our politicians give during elections or is it part of "Dubai" brand building?
Old 21st February 2008, 13:19   #72
Senior - BHPian

i have been to dubai sevral times but havent seen 5 series or e classes as taxis

but yes they are being used as police vehicles.. i have a picture of that also.. will post it soon.

and yes.. there are many many exotics there and most of them are all top level, like if you see a merc. s class here.. its mostly an s350 or s 500 at the max but there you would see all s550 s600 and the amg versions as common as the honda civics and corollas here.

same is the case with ferraris and bentleys and bmws. all high end stuff..

i had gone to a city tour of dubai last time i visited and i saw at a lane near the Jumeriah beach, it was a small by lane with only 2 vehicle wide and i was stunened to see ferraris and maseraties and H1s and Maybachs and what not just lying outside hi-end homes and houses like we park our 2 wheelers here.

if you are looking to spot some true blue exotics, then dubai is the place to visit.

i came to know from a source that the toyota LC the generation which just got replaced, costs about INR 17 lakh in DXB with a 4.0L V6 and here we pay almost the same amount for a HONDA CRV with half a size of that engine.
Old 21st February 2008, 22:59   #73
Senior - BHPian

Some posts here mentioned that Indians have money and do not like to show off.. Just to give an example. Reliance Power IPO. People across India invested more than Rs.7500000000000(Seven lac fifty thousand crores). This is the world's biggest IPO.

Most people think conservatively and buy a home before a car. This is deep rooted in our traditional Indian culture, although the modern generation may disagree. Most people buy a small car, if they still have some money left after their targetted savings. This way, even a sedan becomes quite out of reach for the middle class. And most Indians are quite content with small cars. Where is there a need for 'exotics'? They are only a pain for the people on the congested roads, since they occupy a lot bigger space and they are a pain for they owners as well, to protect their prized possesions from the small dents and scratches on road. Let the infrastructure improve first. Then people might think of buying.

As some people pointed out, great CEO's like Murthy, Premji drove not-so exotic cars. This is in one way contributing to the growth of Indian economy, although not significantly. I guess we would have been a little behind, if everyone had thrown their money on foreign exotics rather investing, making the foreign countires richer and ourselves poorer.

Quote:
What do you want to prove by this? I agree you were refering to exotics in Dubai(or world) vs exotics in India. Why did thid topic of 'exotic' number plate come up?

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 21st February 2008 at 23:03.
Old 21st February 2008, 23:11   #74
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Just to give an example. Reliance Power IPO. People across India invested more than Rs.7500000000000(Seven lac fifty thousand crores). This is the world's biggest IPO.
When people bid that amount, they do not actually invest that much. Everyone estimates that the issue is going to be oversubscribed (maybe x times). Thus if someone wants 10 shares, he will bid for 10x shares but does not necessarily pay the money upfront and actually does not have that much money. This is truer for HNI's and institutional investors as they don't have to put any money upfront.

The Seven Lakh Fifty Thousand Crore is pure media hype and actually means absolutely nothing
Old 21st February 2008, 23:34   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
When people bid that amount, they do not actually invest that much. Everyone estimates that the issue is going to be oversubscribed (maybe x times). Thus if someone wants 10 shares, he will bid for 10x shares but does not necessarily pay the money upfront and actually does not have that much money. This is truer for HNI's and institutional investors as they don't have to put any money upfront.

The Seven Lakh Fifty Thousand Crore is pure media hype and actually means absolutely nothing
You didn't understand my point. People from outside think that India is a poor country. Ok, we may be. Some people still struggle to earn 1 single meal. But, I just want to tell them that we are not so poor are they think we are. We are among the world's fastest growing economies.

And you definitely cannot go by the cars we own. Or the money we spend on number plates!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks