Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2007, 09:48   #31
BHPian

oviously we can't compare the indian car scene with the international one , DUBAI is filthy rich with oil & property - they have the best hotel in the world , cars are not as expensive & do not come with as much duty as in india , a merc in dubai is not as prestigious as in india . The taxis there are 5 series & E classes for heavens sake .Going there you would find supercars are common place . The car scene in india is definetly hotting up , but still not every common man can afford a car in india
Old 9th July 2007, 14:54   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
There's no India, and there no "We', its only 'Me'.

An IT pro startup earns close to 20k's a month roughly and even if he makes a downpayment of 70k's he will still be paying more than 1/4th of his salary as the EMI for his car and all this for a santro or a wagonr.. the developed world's trash (no offence to anyone) and in the end he's left with no money to actually run the car! So much so for the exotics... they are for the mighty rich or the sons and daughter's of politicians not for me... a middle class Indian. There's no one who speaks for me, I pay all the taxes and I get apathy in return and still I think, think of the day when things will improve... for I am an eternal optimist .
Well said, E_T. Its only the last line i disagree with. I have given up.
Old 10th July 2007, 07:33   #33
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Tata will invest big bucks: Rs. 12,000 crore [ US$ 4.8 trillion ] over the next three years. June 2008 is when the Tata small car will hit the roads.

Tata SX4?
They will debut a new SUV Xover, and a small pickup truck in Argentina and Thailand.

We're looking forward to a period of tremendous growth.

Tata divisions will transform into subsidiary companies, and list independently on the stock exchanges. Boeing Corp. is coming to India and setting up at Nagpur. (why not Dubai or Singapore?). And TAL Mfg Solutions Ltd, a fully owned subsidiary of Tata Motors, will make large supplies of aerospace equipment to Boeing.

And leave Sindbad the sailor to build his oasis for tourists in the desert.
Old 10th July 2007, 07:49   #34
BHPian

Extreme_Torque:
We are in this situation today because of some mistakes we did in the past, not just recent past but waay waay back in the past. It is only recently that we are changing. The notion of I, Me, My caste, My region will slowly change into We, US, My Country and we will be the catalysts for this change. Keep heart. We are living in interesting times.
Old 10th July 2007, 18:01   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Tata will invest big bucks: Rs. 12,000 crore [ US$ 4.8 trillion ] over the next three years. June 2008 is when the Tata small car will hit the roads.

Tata SX4? They will debut a new SUV Xover, and a small pickup truck in Argentina and Thailand.

Tata divisions will transform into subsidiary companies, and list independently on the stock exchanges. Boeing Corp. is coming to India and setting up at Nagpur. (why not Dubai or Singapore?). And TAL Mfg Solutions Ltd, a fully owned subsidiary of Tata Motors, will make large supplies of aerospace equipment to Boeing.

the reason boing is coming to india is since labour is cheap they tried china also apparneltly but things didnt work out so.... secind cheapiest option india anyways do a little reaserch the biggest buyers for boing are in the mid east even the only a380 being bought to be used as a private jet in the world is being bought by a buyer in mid east though they arent reaviling the name and btw 12,000 crores isnt 4.8 trillion $$$
Old 10th July 2007, 21:04   #36
BHPian

one more thing we are going slightly off topic though i feel condsidering other asprcts of the countries are important and i encourage it please do not forget the car aspect basicly keep in mind both will writing

p.s: thread getting boring with no new pics please upload some il do what i can on my front
Old 10th July 2007, 21:34   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb roller View Post
the reason boing is coming to india is since labour is cheap they tried china also apparneltly but things didnt work out so.... secind cheapiest option india
No it is because Air India agreed to buy $11 B worth of planes from them and the least we could extract from Boeing is to set up an MRO in our country. $11B is a big amount and Boeing and the US govt. will do anything for that.
This is like Mangoes for Harley deal.

One more case of opinions being passed off as facts. Get over your Dubai fascination.

Last edited by Mayavi : 10th July 2007 at 21:36.
Old 10th July 2007, 23:56   #38
BHPian

how is it dubai fascination you need to be a little more careful while framing your messages my friend giving an opinion in favour of something does not mean im fascinated by it
Old 11th July 2007, 00:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

will somebody care to explain why and what are we discussing here?
Old 11th July 2007, 01:51   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb roller View Post
how is it dubai fascination you need to be a little more careful while framing your messages my friend giving an opinion in favour of something does not mean im fascinated by it
how is it dubai fascination?

Quote:
secind cheapiest option india anyways do a little reaserch the biggest buyers for boing are in the mid east even the only a380 being bought to be used as a private jet in the world is being bought by a buyer in mid east though
Ram mentions that Boeing is setting up maintainence depot here and you HAD to mention that Dubai buys more planes? Indian companies purchased almost 200 planes last year alone. Go figure.
Old 11th July 2007, 02:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
will somebody care to explain why and what are we discussing here?
I guess we are discussing why Dubai (or should I say UAE) has more flashy cars per capita than India. In essense, if I am not wrong the discussion is based on why UAE has people with more (much) money than in India. However there are a lot of other things that can be discussed in comparison, but that is not a part of the car forum.
Old 11th July 2007, 02:56   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
Extreme_Torque:
We are in this situation today because of some mistakes we did in the past, not just recent past but waay waay back in the past. It is only recently that we are changing. The notion of I, Me, My caste, My region will slowly change into We, US, My Country and we will be the catalysts for this change. Keep heart. We are living in interesting times.
Oh yeah - If wishes were horses, they would fly(or some such)...

All that is happening is that the politicians and the wives and their relatives are getting richer and richer. Almost everyone has crores and crores in their wives names. Nobody even bothers.

Votes are still cast on the basis of cast, religion. Appeasement of the minorities is still the focal point of the government. Taxman is working overtime to screw the salaried and the middle class - no holes(no typo) barred.

Interesting times? You bet !
Old 11th July 2007, 03:01   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post

Tata SX4? They will debut a new SUV Xover, and a small pickup truck in Argentina and Thailand.

Ram, my dear friend, you need to stop looking down your nose at Dubai. Fact is, their standard of living and their per-capita income is way higher than anything we have.

We are looking forward to a tremendous period of growth...starting from scratch. You and I sit in our comfortable houses and drive our Balenos and comment on a forum. But a good percentage of our country scrounges for a meal a day. Remember those kids begging at the traffic signal? There are more such people than there are wealthy people.

Tata and Mittal and Murthy are just a few people. They do what they can, to forward their business interests. But until we continue to be ruled by a kakistocracy, we ain't goin' nowhere. Compare the sort of initiative the rulers of Dubai have shown in promoting their little patch of land, to the idiots we have fighting over who should be President.

Having said that, I think this is a ridiculous thread. We all know just how much it hurts to buy a car in India, what with all the taxes and duties. We also know that Indians are generally averse to displays of wealth. We ALSO know India has the most billionaires in Asia, more than Japan or UAE or KSA. We also know that the richest Indians are richer than the richest Emiratis.

dxb_roller, we're not ready to compare yet. We'll get back to you when we have drinking water and food for all our population.
Old 11th July 2007, 03:32   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Oh yeah - If wishes were horses, they would fly(or some such)...

All that is happening is that the politicians and the wives and their relatives are getting richer and richer. Almost everyone has crores and crores in their wives names. Nobody even bothers.
Politicians are and were always rich, not just in India but everywhere. That is the problem with democracy and we have to live with it. The only difference now is that ordinary citizens too have a chance to get rich and they are grabbing this oppurtunity with both hands and team-bhp is a testament to that. Would India have so many super cars, imports and even ordinary econo sedans without any change happening, without people getting rich? The glass is more than half full and you see it as only half full?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Votes are still cast on the basis of cast, religion. Appeasement of the minorities is still the focal point of the government. Taxman is working overtime to screw the salaried and the middle class - no holes(no typo) barred.

Interesting times? You bet !
*WARNING: Read it if you have patience*
You cannot and should not compare India with other countries, especially developed world. The dynamics at play here are completely different and much more complex than those you see in not just developed countries but also in sub-saharan africa.

For starters, almost all countries have uniform demographies. All chinese are yellow, all Americans and Europeans are white, all Africans are black and Indians, well we are a rainbow of colors and features. Those countries have same ethnicity, religion and language. We? We come in all colors, languages and ethnicity.
Just add a bit of variance to demographies of the first world and see what happens. America has 90% white population and 10% black pop and look at the internal friction they have with just two tones of color! If you want to add more spice, introduce another dominant religion and see what happens. Look at the internal strife in France and UK with less than 10% muslim population in these christian (by constitution) countries.

It is a miracle that we are standing as a one country with myriad religions, sects, cults, skin tone, languages, culture in just 60 short years of independance.
Old 11th July 2007, 03:34   #45
BHPian

Viper, I disagree with most of your post except for the point that this thread is useless. I think it is time to close this thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks