Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2007, 18:40   #1
BHPian

New Car Designs

going through the number of 'which mid-sizer' queries here, i was just wondering how car designs have changed appreciably since the past 5 years.

for me, a mid-sizer should ideally be sleek (my idea is a low-slung car with smooth lines) on the outside.

take a look at the old cars - the accent looks stately for the segment, the ikon looks eager, the lancer looks beautiful, the baleno has good proportions (to me at least), the old city looks like it's a refined design of the esteem (which apart from being too boxy, is decent looking).

cut to the newer ones. stubby. short. tall. wheels look piddly. fiesta. aveo. NHC. verna. sx4. you can add more as u keep thinking.

but of course, due regards go to the added benefit of increased interior space afforded by the cab-forward layout. yet, i talk only of the design.

don't you guys think the newer models leave a great more to be desired in external elegance?
Old 2nd July 2007, 18:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a mid-sizer should ideally be sleek (my idea is a low-slung car with smooth lines) on the outside
Cars getting taller has to do with safety regulations,in the event of a head on collision with a taller car/SUV the taller vehicle tends to go over the lower one.

Here's a link with a video:
Old 2nd July 2007, 22:42   #3
BHPian

I believe auto design is going thru a terrible stage and with the inception of hybrid and technologically advanced design this is the time of cars designed by an engineer and not by a stylist or a designer.they are too perfect these days so perfect that they hit the eye.I feel gone are the days of the mustangs,the impalas,the camaros,etc.That was the golden age of car design.

Taking the opportunity to post three of my posts here you wud understand wat I'm trying to mean.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/474682-post148.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/470667-post290.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/484231-post128.html

Last edited by sabret00the : 2nd July 2007 at 22:50.
Old 3rd July 2007, 11:54   #5
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Most of the new designs will come up..will have to be aerodynamic..which means you will have car shaped like the Bullet trains in the future..
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:02   #6
BANNED

Beauty and good looks are very personal and subjective - for me, the Honda city is ugly, Santro is ugly. The xing looks good for both me and biwi. The wagonR IS ugly; but biwi thinks otherwise. so you know who wins!!!
Old 3rd July 2007, 17:37   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Bring 'em on, brother. Took the words right out of my mouth. I hate new-age designs like the NHC, Verna and to an extent....even the SX4 with its overtly tall look.

Designs I love are the OHC and the Lancer...truely timeless and just so proportionate. From the current breed of cars, I like the Optra & Octavia designs.
Old 3rd July 2007, 17:47   #8
BHPian

You are absolutely true. One of the reasons why I am wandering in the What Car section deciding between a Adventure and a Safari is because of the shape of all the mid-sizers. I would rather go for a full fledged SUV looks.

@GTO - How about the Cedia in the current lot - that still looks low-slung? And prices that seems to be approaching the mid-sizers.
Old 3rd July 2007, 17:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Yup toally agree with GTO. I love OHC and Lancer Design.

From curret designs i love
1. Optra
2. Octavia
3. Type II Accord
4. Fiesta (still cant match the but one of the best C segments)
Old 3rd July 2007, 18:03   #10
BHPian

I guess they're right that beauty is subjective. To me, these are so ugly, I don't know where to begin.

It seems that some car designers are so flat out of ideas (everything has already been tried once), that they have to try outlandlish designs in order to be able to say they've come up with something new.

This particular design looks like a flying saucer on wheels.

Finally, is the lack of a door jamb going to increase or decrease sturdiness in case of a side impact?
Old 3rd July 2007, 19:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliper View Post
Finally, is the lack of a door jamb going to increase or decrease sturdiness in case of a side impact?
Door Jambs (in conventional sense) are underneath the Door skin panelling. One thing people can be rest assured that structurally the new cars are pretty rigid. Only thing is that they fail to appeal to the senses that are used to watching cars a certain way. However for people new to automobiles, they seemingly have a steady following for the new-age designs. So mostly its a matter of expectations.

To me best car designs are best termed as boxy, W123, W124,W126 (Mercedes') E30 E36 E34 (BMWs) just to name a few. The lure of those twin set of eyes arising out of the black grille flanking the kidneys, God am I turning into a poet!

Last edited by 1100D : 3rd July 2007 at 19:36.
Old 3rd July 2007, 21:43   #12
Team-BHP Support

No one likes the Civic?

I have this feeling that it is pretty low and sleek. A far- cry from the monoform design of the NHC.
Old 3rd July 2007, 21:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

There is some disconnect between how the Civic starts out and how it ends.Infact I quite like the euro Civic hatch.
Old 3rd July 2007, 23:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Yup the Civic Hatch in Europe looks nicer than the Civic Sedan. Out of the current designs in sedans, I love the Cedia the most and hence own one . Its the only remaining low slung design in the lower D segment market.
Old 4th July 2007, 00:45   #15
BHPian

Drawing from GTO well the SX4 was concieved as a pure 2box 3door hatch supposed to perform on any terrain and with a rally bent of mind...but then Suzuki had to sell it in India and the untold truth is that none in this country wud pay so much for a car that doesnt have a boot ie.remember the fate of the chevy srv...hence the tail was a hastily done job....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks