Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2022, 23:34   #1

Should I buy a new car whose roof will be "blackened" by the dealership, and not manufacturer?

Hallo Esteemed BHPians,

I am from Kolkata.
I have booked my first car, a KIA Sonet GTX+ from Easter KIA in New Town. I opted for the red black dual tone finish. But KIA is telling me that it would take a long time to deliver that color since the demand for dual tone is not that much. It may take till February 2023 to have it delivered. Today I got a call from the dealership saying that a Red color model is available and if I want, they can have the roof painted black as per KIA specification, that is, I will have the dual tone finish.

My query is, will it be ok to go ahead with this? If yes, then what should I be looking for while taking delivery of the car specially regarding the paint? I am also thinking of doing a ceramic coating after getting the car. Will there be any issue with this repainting?

Positive point is if I agree, then I will get the within this month.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd November 2022 at 08:20. Reason: typo
souvik das is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 08:20   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Should I buy a new car whose roof will be "blackened" by the dealership, and not manufacturer?

Blackening up the roof is the simplest thing on the planet and doing so at the dealer is almost a zero-risk exercise. Go for it. I've gotten two of my cars' roofs done up in the after-market and am happy with the end result.

I prefer to skip ceramic coating & PPF. What I do instead is get my cars detailed every 6 months. Works marvelously for me and you'd be hard-pressed to tell my car's age by looking at them. Drive carefully, park carefully & follow all the best practices listed here (Best Practices : Maintain your Car in Top Shape).

Last edited by GTO : 2nd November 2022 at 11:18.
GTO is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 09:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Should I buy a new car whose roof will be "blackened" by the dealership, and not manufacturer?

A simpler option could be to go for a wrap.
sridhu is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 09:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Not sure how much the dealer will charge for roof painting, but a simple good quality wrap can be done from 3M at ~10k. If the cost difference is not significant, I would go for roof painting from the dealer.
sunikkat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 09:25   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvik das View Post
My query is, will it be ok to go ahead with this? Will there be any issue with this repainting?
As GTO mentioned, Black paint if done at the dealership with good quality can be good. But, I will instead go with Peelable paint wrap. Have a look here. There will be similar workshops in Kolkata or else plan a trip to the mountains here

https://www.instagram.com/house.of.polish/?hl=en

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I prefer to skip ceramic coating & PPF. What I do instead is get my cars detailed every 6 months.
Detailing at regular intervals plus coatings works very well. The problem without coatings is that during daily maintenance, no matter what we do, there will always be water/ swirl marks. I usually get something simpler, not like 6,9 or more types of ceramic but a UNC-R coating which lasts at least a Year.
Turbanator is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 09:37   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Only negative I can think of, coming from a state where the MVD is breathing down your neck is that, the RC book won't reflect the colours. Most factory dual tones have the colours recorded in their RC records.

Again, just in Kerala. If Kolkata cops are okay with it, a roof wrap is the simplest thing to do.
DicKy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 10:06   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvik das View Post
My query is, will it be ok to go ahead with this? .
Go for roof wraps. This way, your factory paint stays intact and if the wrap is of good quality (like 3M) it will last a minimum of 5 years. Only negative could be costs.
CrossLife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 10:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know, factory paint is baked enamel. That can rarely be duplicated in a dealer workshop, as the original baking is done on a barebone shell and not on a built up body.

So refrain from getting the roof painted, just use a wrap as suggested. Or just wait for the car to come from factory.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd November 2022 at 11:42. Reason: A word
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 11:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

My etios has dual tone with gloss Black paint and I've had a vinyl wrap done on my indica. The factory paint is vastly superior. The wrap was done at a local place so it may be the quality of the wrap too.
Given its a new car i would go for the dealer option so that it's endorsed that way in the RC book - I too am from Kerala, so have to deal with MVD guys looking for revenue generation opportunities

Last edited by greenhorn : 2nd November 2022 at 11:36.
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 11:49   #10
BHPian

I will never get a respray done unless the vehicle in in an accident and needs bodywork. For the roof - the best thing to do would be to get a black wrap or a black PPF. It won't harm the paint and will retain the originality of the vehicle. Not to mention it is easily reversible.
Gupts007 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 11:54   #11
BHPian

Keep your original factory paint, it is a brand new car after all. The best idea is to wrap.

I had this done on my Laura and it worked well for me. I used to rip and replace it every year or so whenever it lost its finish, including ORVMs that used to get the regular two-wheeler love in traffic.

Remember to detail the roof first and then wrap, so the original paint underneath does not suffer in the long run. I used to rip the wrap, detail and put a new wrap every time.

Should I buy a new car whose roof will be "blackened" by the dealership, and not manufacturer?-img_0749.jpeg
HighRevving is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 13:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Blackening up the roof is the simplest thing on the planet
True. But not the ideal thing to do for Indian weather. I know a person who bought a Nexon EV Dark Edition and got the roof painted white.

Quote:
I prefer to skip ceramic coating & PPF. What I do instead is get my cars detailed every 6 months.
Total waste of money. 6 monthly detailing is more than enough. I've been doing this for years now.
pedrolourenco is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 11:21   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I prefer to skip ceramic coating & PPF. What I do instead is get my cars detailed every 6 months. Works marvelously for me and you'd be hard-pressed to tell my car's age by looking at them. Drive carefully, park carefully & follow all the best practices listed here (Best Practices : Maintain your Car in Top Shape).
Can you please elaborate on what is included in this detailing routine?
dular is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 11:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Only negative I can think of, coming from a state where the MVD is breathing down your neck is that, the RC book won't reflect the colours. Most factory dual tones have the colours recorded in their RC records.
You just need a bill from the workshop saying so and so change has been done. Any competent agent should be able to get it updated in the RC. Once the RC is updated, you can then get the insurance done as well.

If you don't want this hassle, go for a wrap.
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 12:40   #15
RRM
BHPian

Wrap it, instead of repainting it. Easy to remove it later if needed. Why don't you try for a pearl white color instead of black? it may help in summer. The registration will happen as the original color - RED. Might be an issue in case of RTO check. Insurance claim, if any will be on the original color only.

Another way is as @blackwasp said. You will have to get it updated in RC book (at the time of registration), once updated, get the insurance updated and then no hassles in any form.

Last edited by RRM : 3rd November 2022 at 12:43.
RRM is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks