Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2023, 11:57   #136
BHPian

re: Honda City Facelift launched at Rs. 11.49 lakhs

My observation going by the photos posted above.

1) It looks like the VX variant doesn't get few features that were available in the equivalent pre-facelift version. These are the auto-dimming IRVM, tweeters, leather-wrapped steering wheel and semi-digital IC. It gets 15" dual-tone alloys now instead of 16" ones.

2) On the flip side, it gets lane-watch camera, ADAS and probably wireless charger.

3) I'm hoping Honda re-adds full size spare alloy on at least one of the variants. Also, foldable rear seats should be provided. This is even more useful in the Hybrid variants that get only 300 liters of boot space.

4) Good to see base SV variant, for the first time, in the 5th gen City.

5) Honda missed a chance by not giving an option of AT in the new base variant. It could've pulled the potential sub 4m car buyers who want a reliable no non-sense AT car that has more space, standard safety kit and mechanical reliability.
romil.shroff is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 12:33   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
I am not sure this is the right thread but didn't want to start another thread for this post. I have test driven the City CVT and eHEV thrice now. I got back pain every time I test drove this car. Not just me, but wife and kid complained of back pain as well. Our daily drive is a ecosport diesel. When I test drove the city this time, I spent quite a bit of time adjusting the seats and steering to my liking, yet the back pain got to me in less than 5 minutes into the test drive. Is there anything I am missing?

I was actually looking for a diesel automatic and had reluctantly shortlisted the sonet (it costs 18.5 lacs on road in Bangalore by the way!!). But after test driving the city, I think I can make an exception and get the petrol CVT, which is ages ahead in build quality compared to the tinny sonet and only costs a lakh more on road. But only if i could solve this inexplicable back pain conundrum!
The e-HEV suspension and torque are way different from thr normal petrol City. The ride quality of the e-HEV is vastly superior to the normal City and gives a very planted, compliant and settled ride.

This is after I have driven the e-HEV for more Tham 3000 kilometers in the last few months including a 700 kilometer trip one side.

Regarding the back pain, it takes a while for our body to adjust to a new contour, even I experienced the same for a couple of days and then it vanished. This is particularly apparent if you are moving from a more upright sitting position to a more reclined position as is the case with low slung sedans. Atleast this was what I experienced.

However let me once again state that the road manners and suspension of the e-HEV are miles ahead with no bouncing whatsoever at any speeds even with all passengers and full boot.
Traveler is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 13:36   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
However let me once again state that the road manners and suspension of the e-HEV are miles ahead with no bouncing whatsoever at any speeds even with all passengers and full boot.
Therein lies the paradox of the City HEV. There isn't much of a boot to speak of. The only way one can make it practical is to use the second row and to restrict it to a 4 seater.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 13:56   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
The e-HEV suspension and torque are way different from thr normal petrol City. The ride quality of the e-HEV is vastly superior to the normal City and gives a very planted, compliant and settled ride.
Does the improved suspension set up helps in reducing the road noise from beneath and noise from outside (thru the doors/windows). Also what about the tyre noise, did you change the tyre profile to overcome this?
Old 1st March 2023, 13:59   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Therein lies the paradox of the City HEV. There isn't much of a boot to speak of. The only way one can make it practical is to use the second row and to restrict it to a 4 seater.
With three people and two medium sized suitcases and two duffle bags the boot was sufficient. The small storage area under the boot mat also had a small tool bag that I have kept there permanently. We travelled from Bangalore to Goa with this much luggage and had no issues with the boot. Handling was precise, brakes are lovely, fuel efficiency was 24 kmpl and it never scrapped the bottom anywhere. The ADAS worked perfectly and the adaptive cruise control was a boon.
Traveler is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 14:01   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArspeed View Post
Does the improved suspension set up helps in reducing the road noise from beneath and noise from outside (thru the doors/windows). Also what about the tyre noise, did you change the tyre profile to overcome this?
My car is running stock tyres. No changes anywhere. There is some amount if road noise but not any more than most other cars in this segment.

With better rubber the sound may decrease further but honestly I don't feel the need to change the tyres.bit came with Brodestone Ecopia tyres.

What I admired was the absolutely flat ride it gives on highways and even in city drives, the very good and progressive brakes, brake hold and the steering response. It's a very calm car to drive which I find myself taking out at the slightest excuse.

Traffic jams are no longer a reason to shy away and I feel quite relaxed even at the busiest of roads.

Last edited by Traveler : 1st March 2023 at 14:04.
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 14:56   #142
Senior - BHPian

Honda City facelift unveil tomorrow.

Honda City Facelift launched at Rs. 11.49 lakhs-smartselect_20230301145413_twitter.jpg

Honda City Facelift launched at Rs. 11.49 lakhs-smartselect_20230301145423_twitter.jpg

Honda City Facelift launched at Rs. 11.49 lakhs-smartselect_20230301145431_twitter.jpg

Honda City Facelift launched at Rs. 11.49 lakhs-smartselect_20230301145445_twitter.jpg

Honda City Facelift launched at Rs. 11.49 lakhs-smartselect_20230301145458_twitter.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 15:14   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistonhead1212 View Post
Just 2 days before the official launch of the New 2023 Honda City, I got a chance to have a look at that car in the stockyard, and here are some photos and thoughts about it.
Do we know the tyre width?

I know Honda has been selling 5th gen in good numbers, but still why this lacklustre update, which will obviously come with price increase. We could get much better looking bumpers in market for City.

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 1st March 2023 at 15:16.
saurabh041086 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 16:08   #144
BHPian

So in two years Honda has basically done nothing new with the City. They have taken the spec sheet and added ADAS to it. Trust me when I say this tomorrow is going to feel like an iPhone launch - “A slightly improved camera and battery life”. But if they launch the V Hybrid variant at a reasonable price then that would be a game changer.
true_sedan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 16:56   #145
BHPian

Unfortunately, it's the same as before. The tyre dimensions for the ZX variants remains at 185/55 R16 while that of V and VX variants is 185/60 R15. Yet to see the exterior photos of the base SV variant but it's likely to be the same as the V/VX variants. Previous gen SV variant had 175/65 R15 size tyres.
romil.shroff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 06:35   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

When every other major manufacturer has moved to either turbo petrol engines or strong hybrids, it is sad to see the Honda peddling same old 1.5 IVTech engine that was introduced over two decades ago. it has only incrementally improved this engine, which has gone from 100 HP to around 125 HP after all this tweaking. Imagine offering literally the same engine to two different generations! My friend who is 55 years old bought the first gen Honda City iVTec in mid 2000s and used to be thrilled with a 100 HP car in those days. His son, who is in his late 20s is looking to buy a car and the City is on his shortlist (though he will probably not select it, as he is drawn to the new Verna which will probably come with the 1.5 Turbopetrol delivering 160 hp)!

Despite having the turbocharged technology in other markets for years now, Honda refused to bring it to India. Their long held attitude - that the Indian consumers does not care for the latest technology, but he or she just wants low maintenance and good fuel economy - is deep-rooted within Honda management. It is hard to alter this, despite the stagnation and repeated set backs for the brand in the country. Here is a manufacturer who stood still while the world around them and their consumers advanced dramatically. It is a shame, as they are one of the few manufacturers who make fun to drive yet practical cars that drivers love all over the world.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 2nd March 2023 at 07:04.
84.monsoon is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 08:42   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
When every other major manufacturer has moved to either turbo petrol engines or strong hybrids, it is sad to see the Honda peddling same old 1.5 IVTech engine that was introduced over two decades ago.
They introduced the strong hybrid in Indian city, credit where it is due. And I don't think the 1.5L engine is an issue, in this age of small turbo petrols, that 1.5L is even better, if you really want to Revv the rivets out of the engine mounts
In fact, what they need is to phase out the 1.2L and replace it with the current 1.5L in lower models while City should eventually move to Hybrid only.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 08:54   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
In fact, what they need is to phase out the 1.2L and replace it with the current 1.5L in lower models while City should eventually move to Hybrid only.
True. However, they can’t just use the 1.5 in their small cars, they will loose excise benefits. Then again, Honda should have never gotten into the sub 4m space. Sub 4m premium space, yes (Jazz 1.5 will sell). But definitely not the el cheapo sub 4m space.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 10:11   #149
Senior - BHPian

Updated city with the existing one.

Honda City Facelift launched at Rs. 11.49 lakhs-fb_img_1677732001383.jpg

Honda City Facelift launched at Rs. 11.49 lakhs-fb_img_1677732003700.jpg

Honda City Facelift launched at Rs. 11.49 lakhs-fb_img_1677732006223.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 2nd March 2023 at 10:14.
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 11:51   #150
BHPian

I like the changes to the front. The slimmer chrome line now looks less 'in-your-face'. Although I would have preferred it disappeared completely

But the rear looks absolutely pretentious. whoever at Honda thought of making the lip spoiler and rear diffuser a standard fitment? IMO, this sporty pretention does not suit the relaxed riding manner of the suspension at all.

I would have also loved if they had made the angle of the infotainment screen more upright, as in it's current state, it is hard to see things on it on a sunny day.
Romeo_Mike is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks