Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2004, 11:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guyz

I am planning to buy a brand new Palio Diesle in August. This is an upgrade from the Zen I sold last month.

I request a few suggestions. Though you guys fancy more about engines, suspension etc, I do not want to modify the technical gizmos of the car.

I am planning to upgrade the wheels to alloys. Anuroop in Hyderabad offered me to replace the original wheels with alloys and wider tyres for 15 grand. They said they are offering a discount of 10000. I am not sure if the offer will still exist in august.

Planning to buy a sport red car. If red is not on sale, I will go for black. No silvers, golds, whites...Planning to put some imitation leather upholstery. Not sure about the color. As the Fiat's interiors are dark, grey or cream may brighten up. Also feeling that black may add to the sportiness.

Planning to put center storage console between the front seats. I really like the convenience or resting my hands when driving. Palio should be having good space to accomodate that.

I had a brand new stereo in Zen which was couple of months old. I uninstalled it when selling the car. Planning to upgrade the speakers and amp. I have Sony MP 50 MP3 receiver. Am happy with that. Got a Sony 220 W AMP, 300 W Sony Speaker in the rear and 150 W Co-axial speakers in the front. I am not sure about the model numbers for amp and speakers. Amp was second hand. I am happy with the current setup but want something more. I don't want to spend too much on the audio though. 4K to 5 K, at the max add another couple. I don't facy sub-woofers as space is also a major criteria for me for the occasional airport and railway station cab services. Low frequencies from the rear speakers is good enough. I think I should have seperate front speakers and tweeters. When I bought my previous system, all Sonys sounded better than mating Sony with Pioneer or Kenwood speakers. Anyway, I will try that again. What are the best speakers and amp I can afford in my price? I checked the prices in USA. The grey market stuff in India sounds cheaper. Do I need to replace the rear panel for better sound quality?

Planning to put a leather steering and gear knob. Even my Zen had an original leather steering. What could be the price If I buy them from Fiat?

Later on may be I will adding sport pedals to the palio.

No films on the glass. They look crap.

I fancy the rear spoiler that comes with Palio Sport but I feel it's not worth the money. The Fiat site displays the spoiler as optional accessory but the dealer says it is impossible to put spoiler.

My friends and family are against me buying Palio. They are suggesting second hand accent. Guess what, I am in USA and driving an Accent coupe. I never wished that I would be driving accent in the land of Fords and GMCs. The only other car I would like to buy is Honda City. Though a second hand is with in my reach, I am not confident about my second hand car trade knowledge and gas may be too expensive for me. I want to always travel with the AC switched on but still have good power. My Dad uses the new Fiat Palio 1.2. Though we like the car my Dad is skeptical about the resale value for the car. But that is not my top priority. If you want to make good return after using the car for 4 years, it is better not buying the car and investing the money in a fixed deposit. I just want to enjoy the car as long as I use it. The only other vehicle that made me happlier whenver I drive it was my CBZ. I still regret selling it.

Any suggestions?

Drive safe and enjouy your drive

Satish
Old 15th June 2004, 12:46   #2
BHPian

hey
i just booked a palio D thunder black last week..its due delivery this weeked..palio is a great car ..go for it buy it

the fitting of rear spoilers is not possible in the D version cos the rear windshield has to have 2 holes which in this case does not have..but some friends say its possible by drilling 2 holes at the end and screwing it in- where the spoiler meets the metal body

there is an option where u can opt for (upgrade) 14inch oem alloys with broader tyres ..this works around 15k..u can opt for it (but it must be done while booking the car itself)

also one more thing you might have to do is to fit the front antenna which is not present in all D versions

have fun

regards
timothy
Old 15th June 2004, 20:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Is there a waiting period for the Palio Diesle? The dealer in Hyd mentioned that it is spot delivery.

Thanks
Satish
Old 15th June 2004, 21:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

One thing i didn't like about the Palio Diesel is it's torque figure of 120 nms. I feel this is way too low for a 1.9 ltr engine. Considering that the Accent CRDI produces 187 nm from a 1.5 ltr engine.

Heck, even the Palio 1.6 GTX produces 138 nm from a 1.6. They say the bhp/ltr and nm/ltr figures are key factors that determine the quality of the engine. On that front, this engine fails to impress.

Diesel engines are known for their high torque producing capabilities, at low rpms. That is why most or all heavy duty vehicles have diesel engines.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 15th June 2004, 22:23   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

go for it
palio is an awesome car
go for the alloys they make lot of sense.
get the rem. acc from outside.
the leather looks good in cream colour unless u are buying red in which black looks awesome.
why dont u go for sport version.
its just a little bit more expensive , comes in red , has alloys and spoiler and sporty metallic pedals and the works.
it looks very sporty from inside with its silver console.

cheers and enjoy your new car.
lamborghini

p.s
delivery should be within 1-2 weeks.
Old 15th June 2004, 22:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

also dont bother about resale value.
palio sales are picking up and so i their value.
its a much better bet than a preowned accent which after sometime say 3 years will turn out to be more expensive.

cheers
lamborghini
Old 15th June 2004, 22:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

But do they have Diesle Palio Sport. I thought they have only Petrol sport.
Old 16th June 2004, 01:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

hi dude!
forget the spot delievery
it has a 45 day waiting period as of now!!!!!
more time and rs 5000 extra for the red colour
there is no sport version for palio d

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks