Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2009, 13:00   #91
BHPian

The same system is called rolling code by Fiat, in which the code is randomly changed. So if you insert a fake key, engine will not start and car will shut itself. Every manufacturer fits a security system dependent upon their market perception and cost benefit. So to really pick out a winner from OEM is a difficult one. However, there are aftermarket systems that offer much more than OEM systems.
Old 7th October 2009, 00:58   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
The same system is called rolling code by Fiat, in which the code is randomly changed. So if you insert a fake key, engine will not start and car will shut itself. Every manufacturer fits a security system dependent upon their market perception and cost benefit. So to really pick out a winner from OEM is a difficult one. However, there are aftermarket systems that offer much more than OEM systems.

Still, any instance where a iCATS equipped car has been stolen ? that would clear a lot of confusion in our minds

After I bought my car, I got my jeweller friend to make an exact copy of the key in Silver, this silver key could open the doors & boot but I could not start the engine, my car is an Swift VDI july 2008 model
Old 14th October 2009, 19:36   #93
BHPian

ICATS in maruti - still stolen

as claimed by maruti, their latest technology ICATS (the chip inside the key) would protect the marutis from being stolen. but there have been so many cases of thefts of altos and sx4's. the integrated chips haven't made any difference!!
Old 14th October 2009, 19:44   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
as claimed by maruti, their latest technology ICATS (the chip inside the key) would protect the marutis from being stolen. but there have been so many cases of thefts of altos and sx4's. the integrated chips haven't made any difference!!
I have seen Skoda's and Merc's being stolen, so not a big deal whether there is ICATS or not.
Old 14th October 2009, 19:48   #95
BHPian

icats

the thieves have become more advanced than the companies. even before the security technology is fully established, the thieves have the crack for it.
for the time being, GEAR LOCKS are the best car security according to me.
Old 14th October 2009, 20:04   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the thieves have become more advanced than the companies. even before the security technology is fully established, the thieves have the crack for it.
There is work around for gear locks too. UNIVERSAL KEY as they keymaker told me!
Old 14th October 2009, 20:04   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is why I use a special Dindigul lock to secure my new Alto! I mean, on the gate behind the car, not on the car itself!

Very cost effective! I don't trust i-cat, autocop and what not. Though we have a watchman, the watchmen of two ATMs that are opposite/adjacent to our apartment also receive monthly bakshish to keep an eye on our cars!
Attached Thumbnails
Is iCATS really tamper proof?-dsc00252.jpg  

Is iCATS really tamper proof?-dsc00253.jpg  

Last edited by Gansan : 14th October 2009 at 20:09.
Old 14th October 2009, 20:05   #98
BHPian

how can this be possible. the companies claim that even they cant duplicate the key easily!!
Old 14th October 2009, 20:24   #99
BHPian

Gansan,

Very practical indeed ! But does this mean thieves will lift the cars which are parked only at home. It might happen anywhere. isn't it ?

Watch the movie " GONE IN 6O SECONDS" to understand fully the MODUS OPERANDI.
Old 14th October 2009, 20:27   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
how can this be possible. the companies claim that even they cant duplicate the key easily!!
Universal key for aftermarket gear lock, not the car.

Last edited by abhibh : 14th October 2009 at 20:39.
Old 14th October 2009, 20:29   #101
Team-BHP Support

Gansan, 2 long thin screw drivers and that chain around the tough Dindigul lock is history.
Old 14th October 2009, 20:32   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Gansan,

Very practical indeed ! But does this mean thieves will lift the cars which are parked only at home. It might happen anywhere. isn't it ?
No, of course not! But 98% of the time my car will be parked either at our apartment or inside my office premises. For the remaining 2% I have to trust i-cats.
Old 14th October 2009, 20:38   #103
BHPian

gansan,

98% safety average is very good, so don't you worry. Your car is absolutely safe.

Just for you information, my friend has a Logan , which supposedly had the chip in the key. Just for curiosity sake, we got a duplicate key made to try and test it. It didn't work. Now the key is serving as a standby key for the boot !
Old 14th October 2009, 20:48   #104
Senior - BHPian

Maybe we should all do what Mr.Bean does - had a padlock on the car door itself!

Maybe one those Yale locks (the one that cannot be sawed or broken) should be used if so and not the Dindigul one!
Old 14th October 2009, 21:35   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Gansan, 2 long thin screw drivers and that chain around the tough Dindigul lock is history.

Hi bblost, no the chain is a special one and not as flimsy as it seems. It will need a hacksaw, screw drivers will not do!

@Happy Wheels
A padlock a la Mr.Bean + a Dindigul lock will be perfect!

But seriously, how do they get around the i-cats? Do they fiddle with the ECU?

Most Viewed