Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2004, 19:20   #16
Team-BHP Support

I think thats what the company claimed. However, seat-of-the-pants tests (I had the old engine, my uncle had the MPFI) did not really reveal a significant increase in performance.

But the clutch was infinatley lighter making dealing with traffic a lot less of a hassle. However, there was a deffinate difference in the quality of the interiors, with GMI going the cost cutting way. No lock on the glovebox, the doorpanels seemed flimsy in comparision.
Old 14th June 2004, 19:40   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Currently, the Astra is powered by the fuel-injected (MPFI) version of the 16NZR engine. When it was launched back in ?96, it used the 16LZ2 engine. This single-point injection unit was known to resonate whenever the AC was switched on with even the passengers getting a feel of what the chassis was experiencing. Some other problems associated with this engine was ignition coil failure ? in some cases the coil having to be replaced on three occasions! The cooling coil was also known to fail at times, leading to a reduction in air con performance. Fuel pump problems also seemed to plague this engine.

The introduction of the 16NZR engine took care of the vibrations. Initially this unit also came with single- point fuel-injection, which was later upgraded to multi-point injection with a view to reduce emissions and increase performance. This switch has pumped up the output to 95bhp, up 19bhp from the older single-point. Like most European cars, the Astra too runs at a high operating temperature, so there is no cause for alarm if the needle hovers around the three-digit mark.
Source : Autocar India

GTO
Old 14th June 2004, 19:51   #18
Team-BHP Support

cool, interesting info GTO.

Sad to say that I experienced almost all of the problems mentioned!! Fuel pump stranded me in Panvel once, the ignition module another time and my cooling coil failed too!! wow...am I lucky or what!!

But still, for me to have such a fond memory of the car EVEN after so many things going wrong means that it must have been a nice car!

Rtech
Old 16th June 2004, 00:17   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

i too am a great fan of the opel
i still love the car and wish to buy an secondhand club for around 3 and tune it up with turbos and fatter tyres et all so the total cost would be 5 l for a car which would produce 120 bnhp + and only have done some 20 - 30 k km.
what do u guys think
now if only someone coul fund me

cheers
lamborghini
Old 16th June 2004, 00:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

I believe, it was the safest car.

My uncle's Astra had an head on collison with a fully loaded truck at 100 KMPH. Everybody, including the driver were safe except for a few bruises.

The front part of the car was completely smashed out and everybody who saw the condition of the car never believed that the passengers were safe.

My uncle did not pay the insurance premium and the dealer offered to pay 15,000 for the junk. Since then I have a great respect for european cars.
Old 16th June 2004, 01:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

The Astra has been given 3 stars by NCAP. that's the same as the Hyundai Sonata.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 16th June 2004, 01:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Shan2nu @ June 15 2004,23:37)]The Astra has been given 3 stars by NCAP. that's the same as the Hyundai Sonata.

Regards...
Shan2nu
now u know that a sonata is as safe as a german car!!!!!!
Old 16th June 2004, 16:37   #23
Team-BHP Support

me and my big mouth.

no sooner i extoll the virtues of the astra (aug/sept 1996) that my astra has it's first run in with trouble.

It went to the garage today and 3 parts totalling rs. 17,000 (incl the cooling coil) have to be changed.

However this might be becuase it was rear ended. we also hit a car in front due to the rear impact.

then someone steals the side black rubber strips and does a bad job of that too leaving half the rubber still on the car.

and lastly while it parked at the garage a cyclist runs into the car scratching one of the window glasses.
Old 16th June 2004, 18:19   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (lamborghini @ June 15 2004,22:47)]wish to buy an secondhand club for around 3 and tune it up with turbos and fatter tyres et all
Hey,

Doesnt Karun Chandok or one of these guys have a tuned astra ? I remember Sumit telling me something about it when i had gone to his shop once...

Navin..... man... my apologies! The car gods work in strange ways.

cya
R
Old 16th June 2004, 18:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (aadix @ June 16 2004,10:08)]now u know that a sonata is as safe as a german car!!!!!!
Yeah sure, now we all know the Sonata is as safe as a German car, 2 segments below it. lol

Regards...
Shan2nu

Most Viewed