Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2022, 16:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2022 Lineup | The Best Enthusiast Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick.munish View Post
Sadly not a single Tata car made it to the list except for the Nexon EV.

Probably an opportunity missed by Tata
Actually TATA did it. Tata Tiago & Tigor JTP twins.
Too bad the so called "indian car enthusiasts", probably, including, even the one's on this forum, did not do justice to its sales.

So R.I.P. JTP.
arjab is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 16:51   #47
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

[center]

BMW 330i

Attachment 2379647

Rs. 45-51 lakh price is stiff although fat dealer discounts are available, fake engine noise piped in; tad too fake for our tastes
Did I hear discounts? I am not able to get any from Bird Automotive, can you please elaborate a bit more on the same?
KI07 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 20:13   #48
BHPian

Very good thread and equally good collection. Not sure about the exact criteria but Volvo xc 40 recharge is a pretty FAST car. And a very well priced one.
Old 18th November 2022, 00:31   #49
BHPian

I got the pleasure of driving 2 cars from the American stable which were so fun to drive but unfortunately they didn't do very well in the market in terms of sales. The first one was the Chevrolet Spark Petrol 1.0 and the other one was the Ford Freestyle Petrol with the Dragon Engine.

Although both Chevrolet and Ford left India, but they did bring out products which were quite nice in terms of drivability. Always brought a smile on my face when I used to drive them.

Last edited by souvikjana83 : 18th November 2022 at 00:32.
souvikjana83 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 03:24   #50
BHPian

Excellent thread, thoroughly enjoyed reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Quite frankly, one car that kind of doesnt sit well enough in this list, is the Honda City. Yes , the car is smooth and deceptively fast even in its CVT guise, but feels very skittish at high speed due to its dainty tyre profile. Compared to its rivals like the Skoda VW sedan cousins with the 1.5 DSG, it definitely loses out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
. What's fun in a car where you have to ring out the engine hard to get a shove?
Comparing the 1.5 TSI Turbocharger to a 1.5 Naturally Aspirated engine would be unfair because of the marginal difference in power due to the turbocharger as well as the difference in price. And when you compare it to the correct segment ie. 1.0 TSI, well the DOHC ivtec (manual) does keep up when it comes to acceleration.

Every car enthusiast who has driven the ivtec would agree about the capabilities of the rev friendly 1.5 NA engine, you just keep getting incremental power till the redline of 7000rpm which is indeed fun. However, the car is targeted towards a wide range of audience - it can be a sedate commutter or a enthusiast's delight. Most of people who buy this car probably never cross 3k rpm, whereas the real fun starts after 4.5k rpm, and the car just keeps pulling after that.

It may not be the best on highways at speeds post 120/130 but it can sure hold its ground upto that, wider tyres would solve this to some extent. The chassis is very good and man, it sure can take corners at pretty good speeds.
The point being the car is very capable and can be called a enthusiast's car when compared to whats available in our market.
m3t4ph0r1c is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 05:46   #51
BHPian

GTO has written on the S-presso being lively to drive and having near perfect gearing.
Maybe a miss not having made to the list?
GreenerPlanet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 06:33   #52
Senior - BHPian

This is a good thread - the usual suspects in the luxury category are all there but I am surprised to see so many cars at the other end of the spectrum as well. The story about hot cars on a budget not being available anymore in India seems to be not entirely true! It's only when we try to mix performance, creature comforts and budget all together is when you probably hit a wall.
Old 18th November 2022, 08:16   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3t4ph0r1c View Post
Excellent thread, thoroughly enjoyed reading!

Comparing the 1.5 TSI Turbocharger to a 1.5 Naturally Aspirated engine would be unfair because of the marginal difference in power due to the turbocharger as well as the difference in price. And when you compare it to the correct segment ie. 1.0 TSI, well the DOHC ivtec (manual) does keep up when it comes to acceleration.

Every car enthusiast who has driven the ivtec would agree about the capabilities of the rev friendly 1.5 NA engine, you just keep getting incremental power till the redline of 7000rpm which is indeed fun. .
Well, The TSI 1.0 is also a turbo petrol, so its not VW's fault that Honda does not provide a turbo petrol engine for the City. In its default specification, I feel the City lacks the maturity and poise to do high speeds . It is fast and agile, no doubt, but it doesnt at all feel like a car on rails. You have to grip the steering and it doesnt have that heft that will inspire confidence. So no use wringing out rpms out of the engine while doing 140+ kph . Even the Polo TSI feels very settled at speeds, considering its short wheelbase.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 08:18   #54
BHPian

I feel XUV 700 should have been in the list. The Diesel Zoom mode or Petrol one is fast, powerful and sorted.
Piyush_DT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 10:16   #55
BHPian

Happy to own a Citroen C3 Turbo. It is truely a drivers car with good fuel economy and also budget frienldly.
skpprabhu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 08:52   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Probably an opportunity missed by Tata
Not really. It is just an unconscious miss here. Lot of happy altroz owners and Nexon owners. Enthusiast cars are very subjective and cannot be based on specifications and hence this list while exhaustive, it misses some gems.

If Honda City and Maruti can make this list it is genuinely some oversight.

Altroz is probably better than some on the list above.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 11:27   #57
Senior - BHPian

How about 400bhp and 660NM torque for Fortuner Money Volvo xc40 recharge.
Attached Images

giri1.8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 22:28   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
How about 400bhp and 660NM torque for Fortuner Money Volvo xc40 recharge.
I drove it and it's ballistic actually. The torque is super addictive. Handles much better than the petrol/diesel counterpart and the ride comfort is nice too!
Old 20th November 2022, 11:42   #59
BHPian

Fellow BHPians,

What would be the best SUV/MPV/crossover under 30 lakhs for an enthusiast that leaves a smile plastered to your face after a drive? (new/pre-owned)

Based on GTO's article, I've prepared a list, however, I'm looking for your feedback/suggestions:

1: Taigun GT plus/Kushaq Monte Carlo (Fun to drive, however, I don't like the way it looks and the interior doesn't justify the price tag)

2. Virtus/Slavia 1.5 (The suspension felt a bit too stiff )

3. Jeep Compass (I'm hearing mixed reviews about the after sales service and the diesel AT is out of my budget)

4. Citrogen C3 (Looks a bit small. I haven't seen it in flesh though)

5. Pre-owned GTI (This has been on my list for some time now, however, I'm not sure how hard it'd be maintain it or get the parts replaced if anything fails)

6. Pre-owned 320d (This has been my dream car, however, not sure if I'd be able to afford the replacements if anything major goes wrong)

7. T-roc (The rear seats are a bit cramped, no other issues)

8. The new Innova (Wild card entry and it's not an enthusiast car) - After seeing the leaked pics, I kind of like the way the interior and exterior looks and at the end of the day, it's a Toyota. So, if by any chance if I decide to buy it, would I enjoy driving it or would it be hard to manage in the city/highway. I've driven the older gen Innova once back in 2017, however, don't remember how it drives.
Old 20th November 2022, 19:09   #60
BHPian

I think the Baleno RS deserves to be on the list. Or maybe it was included in the list that had come out earlier. I would just like to point out that it is quite quick! The Variable Geometry Turbo is actually a dream! I just think the car should have had a Six Speed MT and the option of a CVT/DCT. I know. A DCT would've been not possible! But cheers to Suzuki for the development of the 1.0L and 1.4L Boosterjet! The Brezza could use both? Or even the next Baleno for the added oomph! I really hope the 1.4L Turbo unit comes as we surely do love our 1.0L 2018 Baleno RS.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed