Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2022, 20:15   #61
BANNED

Re: Skoda lost a repeat customer who owned a Fabia for 12 years | Problematic Slavia purchase, refun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Personally, this is borderline misuse of connections/post/authority. Forget getting the additional compensation, getting the entire amount back is impossible for mango man like us. Here dealer paid a compensation over & above the cost price & still is getting defamed.
Very true. Boycott comments against a brand for painting a panel in a new car, seriously!!!. At the same time people are happy to become beta testers for some 'national' brands. Quite weird. I also don't understand why some one who got the refund and compensation is so much worried about the dealer reselling the car through whatever way he likes. Dealership had paid the price for whatever 'fraud' it had done. It's only dealers 'business' now as far as the mentioned car is concerned.

Note: the 'bitter' icing on the cake is, this thread got a home page entry with a weird heading 'problematic' Slavia, full refund!!!

Last edited by pavi : 22nd November 2022 at 20:31.
pavi is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 20:26   #62
BHPian

Re: Skoda lost a repeat customer who owned a Fabia for 12 years | Problematic Slavia purchase, refun

Thank-you MarkivSkoda for sharing your ordeal and kudos to you for teaching the dealer a life-long lesson! Hitting hard the sales team where it hurts the most. Well done!
You are Shehanshah of the less privileged, common car buyers
Your story will be a case study at all India dealer level

This reminds me of an old saying in Hindi - सौ में से अस्सी बेईमान, फिर भी मेरा भारत महान। Loosely translated in English means - India is great despite out of hundread, eighty are cheats.
Old 22nd November 2022, 20:42   #63
BHPian

All those Skoda memories are back after reading.

I was at the receiving end (Skoda Aurangabad) that time in 2007-2009 in After Sales Department of Skoda India when Nummer Eins Episode happened.
I added Team-Bhp in my social media monitoring for company, which I hope Skoda uses till now.

Still wonder how our internal technical report ( one which we prepare after each dealer and car visit) got leaked. However it was for good and ended in closing the cheating dealer.

Have worked with various car manufactures in Aftersales so far but I can definitely tell - Dealers are the kingpin in bad reputation for Skoda, what's problem in being truthful?

Remember onetime GTO calling in disguise to helpline and asking "why only Synthetic Oil ?".
Also met Yeti on Board - our beloved Sam Kapasi because of Skoda and Team Bhp that time, miss him a lot and his stories as well.
007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 20:43   #64
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Congratulations on pursuing the matter, dealing head on with the attempted cheating and winning a favorable outcome. It’s indeed very heartening to read this.
Also, the chronology is showing you value particular ness.
For common folks who cannot pull influential strings in govt offices it’s a hard battle, but by no means impossible. By stating everything clearly you have shown good solid resolve.
About the car Škoda dealership was trying to sell you - it’s very likely it met with an accident. And they did everything to cover it up.
Wishing you all the best for your next car purchase.
Thanks for sharing your experience in detail.
Old 22nd November 2022, 20:56   #65
Senior - BHPian

Reading both sides, I think there was a specific goal set to teach the dealer a lesson with whatever resources available as the entire Akoya team did one simple but big mistake, that is LYING to a customer, and I am happy that the dealer paid the price for it, however trivial the issue might be.

Back in 2010 when we brought a Fiat Linea from Pandit Auto, there was a very bad paint job done on the bumper at the time of delivery. The sales-person acknowledged that it was done by them as it was scratched in transit, and they agreed to paint the entire bumper again on any day we wished. I and my brother were red with anger, but we did not escalate it further and the car came back looking nice 10 days after we took the delivery.

That Pandit Auto's after sales service was pathetic is another story (they stole the tool kit and my goggles ), but we appreciated the fact that they were honest at the time of delivery which would have spoiled the mood otherwise.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 21:03   #66
Senior - BHPian

The question is, why aren't dealership/sales associates willing to talk about the car that had incurred transit damages, prior? Why isn't the manufacturer notified of a car that has undergone transit damage? Why is the policy of backtracking still in place? Isn't there a policy in place for a vehicle that has undergone transit damage? If so, isn't it the responsibility of the dealer/manufacturer to duly oust the vehicle in question for a thorough inspection and sent it back to the manufacturer for a refurbishment? Why isn't there a system in place.

There is a fine line between trust and treachery, and a dealership cannot use altruism and escapism to hoodwink a customer. It is the sole responsibility of the dealer in question to duly record the damages, report it back to the manufacturer, (liable to any compensation borne from his side) to make sure the vehicle in question is deemed saleable as per factory spec and events chronographed.

No dealer will accept 20 lakhs worth of 500 Rupees patched up using cellotape, it's still 500 Rupees, is it not?

To all the dealers/sideswipes/spectators of OEMs, it is your responsibility to make sure your vehicle reaches the showroom exactly how it left your factory warehouse. You and your dealers are here to make money, and there is no two ways about it. You don't own your business, your customers do.

There is a huge difference between a "DEFECT and a DAMAGE" A minor defect every now and then is acceptable and can be considered a one-off, a damaged, defective and rectified one is not and I think it's high time dealers do understand the importancy and liability of what they think they are doing.

In short, our money is perfect, your car is not. You are responsible!

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 21:10   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkivSkoda View Post

7-13 Oct 2022 - We had to mount pressure on Skoda India through our contacts in VW India, VW AG Germany and Govt of India (from the highest level).
Just to understand, how did VW AG Germany mount pressure on Skoda? In Germany, they must exist as two separate companies. VW and Skoda cannot share information between them according to GDPR. It's a violation of privacy.

Also, why is the title says "Problematic Slavia purchase"? There was no mechanical problem with the vehicle. This title is misleading.

Last edited by klassics45 : 22nd November 2022 at 21:15.
klassics45 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 21:35   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith_cbz View Post
Strongly disagree with this empathetic reasoning and sentiment towards dealerships.
+1.

In fact when business is tough, its the ethics of the people performing the business, that become a true differentiator between a failed business and a flourishing one.

In my opinion its not the paint job, but the lie that forced OP to pursue the cause forward. Had the dealership people behaved honestly, the outcome of this saga would have been different.
UD17 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 21:45   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkivSkoda View Post
He assured us that no part of the vehicle had been repainted and he would investigate this issue and get back to us by email the next day. He said, "Sir, you are now part of the Skoda family, whatever the issue is, we are with you to resolve it, you please take the delivery today ."
The phrase "Sir, you are now part of the Skoda family" was supoosed to be reassuring is it ?

I dont know how Skoda can think of using such dialogue's.. Are they dillusional of their reputation?
SN88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 21:50   #70
Senior - BHPian

People who are celebrating that the dealer is taught a lesson, please understand for everything there is a natural justice and every side should be given a fair hearing. Empathy is the key here. The extend of damage in automobile transit none of us are aware of. Many of us might have taken delivery of dealer painted car. PDI does not mean observing the car under a microscope or checking each and every panel with depth meter. Every car will surely have some defects. You will surely lose sleep over that.

How many of us will accept a scratched car, if dealer honestly discusses this with you. If damage during transit is in huge numbers, then how will he sell cars?

Here the dealer already paid price for lying by giving full refund for a registered car. What was the need for a compensation? The owner used the car for 1 month 2000KM, pulled strings with Govt of India which has no business in a car paint issue. Got huge compensation unheard of even in consumer courts.

I have OCD, so whenever I have even a minor scratch on my car, I will get it painted. So my car's service history will have n number of paint jobs, but the car was never been in a serious accident. So people should come out of this wrong assumption that all cars with re-painted panels are lemons or was in some grave accident.

Last edited by poloman : 22nd November 2022 at 21:53.
poloman is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 22:46   #71
BHPian

Just to save a few thousand the dealer ended up paying Rs 1.5L as compensation to you plus got a repaired 'second-hand' car that he would need to offer discounts (assuming 20% minimum) to sell. To top it off, the dealer lost the reputation in a public forum like team-bhp & would have gone into the bad books of Skoda management. He lost many prospective customers in Pune; the damage cannot be quantified
All this would have been saved if he had honestly admitted the damage (it happens), rectified it to your satisfaction & offered you accessories worth few thousands & an apology. Penny wise Pound foolish.
amit1agrawal is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 22:56   #72
BHPian

This thread highlights the issue deeply engraved within skoda dealership, how they were trying to take customer for a ride and to the extent they would lie that there was no damage to security guard wiped bird poo etc etc, had they just been transparent and offered customer a token of goodwill and offered to paint the most probably scratched panel professionally or offer another piece to customer and this issue would have never arisen but instead they lied and lied at every step just like skoda dealerships used to behave, why is there that skoda has so many similar cases while maruti has little to no such cases reported.

A common man would have to jump through hoops even to get the dealership to acknowledge that there was an issue and they repainted it just like any other roadside workshop, leave alone getting the panel painted professionally.

As for people thinking the dealership got a lesson taught to them, you need to understand that even dealership is aware that not everyday a customer having such influence would step foot in to buy their flagship product let alone buy a slavia so at the end for the dealership it will be like the saying goes "Do din ki chandni fir andheri raat" i.e. A nine days wonder.

Kudos to OP that he was transparent as to how he was able to get a refund plus compensation so that not every customer thinks he will be able to pull this wonder and they need to be vigilant throughout as the legal battle is quite a uphill task in India.

And if the dealership or skoda is following the thread you could take a few notes from this thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...repainted.html (As an automotive dealership, how do we deal with a new car which is repainted?) and avoid a blunder like this.

Last edited by revvharder : 22nd November 2022 at 23:14.
revvharder is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 23:15   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
How many of us will accept a scratched car, if dealer honestly discusses this with you. If damage during transit is in huge numbers, then how will he sell cars?
It depends on the buyer whether to accept it as such or with discount or not accept the car. If there is large number of transit damages, it is time to fix that issue. Everything is business. If there is large number of transit damages claimed, insurance companies will simply deny transit insurance or charge more premium as it will become unviable for them. Then dealer has to spend from own pocket to fix which will hurt his margin. He will find a way to stay in business till it is profitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
People who are celebrating that the dealer is taught a lesson, please understand for everything there is a natural justice and every side should be given a fair hearing. Empathy is the key here. The extend of damage in automobile transit none of us are aware of. Many of us might have taken delivery of dealer painted car. PDI does not mean observing the car under a microscope or checking each and every panel with depth meter. Every car will surely have some defects. You will surely lose sleep over that.

Here the dealer already paid price for lying by giving full refund for a registered car. What was the need for a compensation? The owner used the car for 1 month 2000KM, pulled strings with Govt of India which has no business in a car paint issue. Got huge compensation unheard of even in consumer courts.
1. Has the dealer shown empathy towards customer while lying to get reciprocated? There is absolutely no empathy in business now a days. This is just another day in the life they got caught in the wrong foot.

2. Since you talk about natural justice, hope you are aware that reparations and compensation are very much part of ensuring justice. Instead of a decree, this is a settlement that is mutually agreed which is also perfectly acceptable in justice system. Please note dealerships are not individuals to cave in simply for settlement. They would have weighed their options for not only consumer forum but eventuality of other person pressing charge like intend to defraud with damaged goods as well RTO investigation and possible fines (a joy ride gone wrong or a test drive gone bad) because of the connections.

OT:
To your last point on repainting, you can paint it as many times you want as it is after all your own property but it has no bearing on this case as this is some one else who didn't acted in good faith after receiving money.
thanixravindran is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 23:16   #74
BHPian

I am sure Skoda as a company would have pressurised the dealer to act upon the complaint of OP resulting in refund and compensation. The culprit seems to be the dealer and not Skoda. The heading of the thread is kind of misleading and should have highlighted the dealer part along with the company name.

I have had a somewhat similar experience at the time of delivery of my Alto and the dealer was Sai Service (Pune). The right side ORVM had scratches at the time of delivery. I pointed it out to the sales person and he simply apologised, accepted that proper inspection was not done by them, immediately got the same replaced and ensured that the matter was closed. I didn't have to talk to anyone except the sales person. This is where Maruti and Hyundai shine because they try to resolve complaints then and there and don't normally wait for escalations.
akshay81 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 23:27   #75
Senior - BHPian

So many people empathizing with the dealer inspite of him being caught lying red handed ???

I guess everyone has their own opinions and perspectives, however I don't have the slightest bit of empathy for the crooked dealer.

Skoda has cheated many Indians over the years. First we had the problematic DSG gearboxes, which were not covered for manufacturing defects unlike in other countries. Then the case of Harish, which showed cheating first at the dealer level, then at the company level. This company deserves no sympathy whatsoever.

I'm so happy that someone well connected with the govt of India could use their clout to teach them a lesson. If nothing else, at least that dealer won't forget this lesson anytime soon.

What saddens me though is the oft repeated lament on these posts that no Aam aadmi would ever get such justice. Shows how our justice system is totally broken, that no one even imagines that they will get justice if they are wronged. What could be worse than people losing hope? Will our judiciary ever get reformed or will they be the Achilles heel in a modern day India?
Lalvaz is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed