Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2023, 12:11   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta delisted from official website

Many who were keen on the automatic Innova Crysta will surely be disappointed. They will look elsewhere too as the competition for Hycross is more than the Crysta as a product. Surprised that they were launching the whole gamut of G to ZX variants, instead of keeping just taxi spec versions. Maybe to keep their government fleet sales numbers happy, as the private buyers will surely miss the automatic.

Expected more given that there were rumours of Toyota Australia getting its hands on the facelift. Though fussy this looks much better than the 1st facelift of the Innova Crysta, but the pre-facelift version is any day a cleaner design with a proper size grille. Also expected RDE to force Toyota to give it the 6 speed manual. Same old decades old 5 speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
till 2025-2026 minimum for two reasons 1) Toyota's 10 year BOF product cycle and 2) If they were going to stop soon it they wouldn't have updated it to meet RDE norms and re-launched it with this face....When Toyota starts offering hybrid in the lower variants of Hycross I guess we can expect the Diesel Crysta's plug to be pulled. I think Hycross G hybrid launch and Diesel Crysta EOL would be closely spaced
Spot on. When TKM kept the hybrid limited to the higher models, knew that more than for keeping the entry prices lower, they were doing it to maintain the market for the Innova Crysta. Maybe they are waiting for the hybrid sales to pick up so that they leverage the economies of scale and bring lower hybrid variants (or in typical Toyota fashion, will be slowly increasing the price of the Hycross hybrid versions so they will be able to launch stripped out versions at the current prices)
DicKy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 12:38   #32
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta delisted from official website. EDIT : Now relaunched

The ZX and VX variants still on offer but with only 5 speed MT? This doesn't sound right.

Was the MT demand for the top 2 variants really that big?
Romeo_Mike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 13:21   #33
BHPian

Disappointed with Toyota for not offering the AT in Crysta Diesel. If they had bought back the AT in Crysta, I'd have booked it eyes closed over Hycross.

I guess the pricing of Crysta Diesel will be below 30L in order to push the sales of Hycross.
car_guy1998 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 13:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

So fast...Toyota ! Many on the forum were writing obituaries of the Crysta. But few people like me were crystal clear that Toyota wont kill Crysta at least for 2-3 years. The only thing can accelerate its death will be a country wide ban of diesel vehicles. But there is no sign of that, yet.

If this does not happen no petrol/hybrid car can come in the way of diesel loving Indian commercial market. Toyota has to satisfy this market, so no other option for them.

Last edited by poloman : 27th January 2023 at 13:31.
poloman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 14:13   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_Mike View Post
The ZX and VX variants still on offer but with only 5 speed MT? This doesn't sound right.

Was the MT demand for the top 2 variants really that big?
MTs sell well in higher variants too simply because many of the buyers actually sit at the middle row or passenger seat

Think rich businessmen, politicos, govt officers, etc. Diesel is still desired for anyone with high running.
sunilch is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 15:00   #36
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

No AT. They pulled a Tata here.

People and the forum may absolutely love Hycross because Hybrid, Petrol and FWD but I refuse to touch it even with a barge pole.

As always, the best move is the used one.
Old 27th January 2023, 15:36   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
MTs sell well in higher variants too simply because many of the buyers actually sit at the middle row or passenger seat ...
Guess there is no consideration for self driving safety conscious individuals - First limit the 6 airbags option to the ZX variant only in the Hycross and now omit the AT in the Crysta ZX.
Romeo_Mike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 17:08   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Now I understood why Toyota sent all media outlets a picture of the Crysta in black, because the new front-end looks absolutely horrendous in lighter colours!!

As seen in white colour on the website:
Toyota Innova Crysta delisted from official website. EDIT : Now relaunched-0a322cc3fd054d20acde623f666c3e73.jpeg

https://www.toyotabharat.com/showroom/innova-crysta/

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 27th January 2023 at 17:10.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 18:51   #39
Senior - BHPian

So lame to have launched it with a 5 speed. An Innova with that superb engine with magnificent low end torque needs a taller gearing for highway cruising.

Mine is a 6 speed Auto and on the highway, its a star doing like 1500-1550 rpm at 100 and some 1800 at 120.

I think my car's value will keep appreciating with each passing year
humyum is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 19:50   #40
BHPian

Hopefully, they should have fixed the DPF issue now. I suspect the entire game of hide and relaunch was to fix this issue. If it is going to be the same BS6 engine with the fix, it will still belt out 3k units sale / month. Knowing Toyota, it will be another excuse to increase prices by 50k-75k. Some of my friends are wary of Diesel engine and so not excited about this relaunch and they are always a Gasoline customers but price of 30L for Hycross stop them to look elsewhere. Lost opportunity though at both ends..
Innysta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 21:07   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
So lame to have launched it with a 5 speed. An Innova with that superb engine with magnificent low end torque needs a taller gearing for highway cruising.

Mine is a 6 speed Auto and on the highway, its a star doing like 1500-1550 rpm at 100 and some 1800 at 120.

A 5 speed MT in this day and age, that too in a 30 lakh car, is difficult to imagine. Even the 1.0 Litre engines in the compact SUVs such as the entry level Venue and Sonet, which cost a third of the Crysta come with 6-speed MTs.

They do have a 6 speed MT that can be paired with that 2.4 Diesel - it was launched in the Touring Sport a few years ago. I am at a loss to understand why they dropped that - it would have improved the all important FE figure and I cannot imagine that it would have been much more expensive to make.
84.monsoon is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 11:13   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

Well I am in the same boat as yours. Got the Crysta 2.4Z AT in July last year for about 31 OTR. Do you really think the value would appreciate? It might do for the older models since the prices were lower at that time but for all those who bought it in 2022, I think we might not see as good resale value!
Dr.Car is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 11:50   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This is one of the rare times that a manufacturer is intentionally throttling its successful but old product, to force buyers to go to the new one. Usually, the last generation is discontinued before the next generation is launched and the Innova Crysta is now almost 7 years old. But the replacement is very different (monocoque, petrol only, FWD etc.). It's a completely different approach to MPVs.

Only time will tell whether this was a good decision or bad. A lot of personal customers would still prefer the Innova Crysta AT because of its diesel motor, robustness, better quality in some areas, middle row seating & arrangement etc. I see praise as well as brickbats in the Innova Hycross review thread from those who checked the vehicle out in the showroom.

Taxi customers will be a satisfied lot though with the relaunch.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 12:23   #44
BHPian

Interesting to see Toyota take the same approach Skoda took with the Octavia replacement back in 2005. Does this news mean the Innova will only exist in its HyCross guise or could there be another one in a more traditional MPV format?
kc0403 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 14:01   #45
BHPian

This seems counter intuitive for Toyota by plugging-off the important plug on your most successful offering of the available line up. But we all have seen Toyota pull off similar stunt successfully before [ Qualis to Innova and Innova to Crysta]

But this is time its very different from RWD to FWD, From Diesel to Petrol / Hybrid. It is a new car altogether with nothing in common. Would be interesting to see how this plans out. May be Mahindra can try its luck with the updated Marazzo to fill Diesel MPV demand

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks