Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2022, 11:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Alturas G4 discontinued in India; bookings halted

According to a media report, Mahindra has discontinued the Alturas G4. The SUV has been delisted from the brand’s official website and bookings are also said to have been halted.

Mahindra Alturas G4 discontinued in India; bookings halted-img_0066-1.jpg

The Alturas G4 was Mahindra’s flagship model that competed with SUVs like the Toyota Fortuner and MG Gloster in the Indian market. It was powered by a 2.2-litre diesel engine producing 178 BHP and 420 Nm. The engine was mated to a 7-speed automatic transmission and a 4-wheel drive system.

Mahindra introduced a top-spec ‘2WD High’ variant of the SUV in September this year. It came with features such as HID headlamps with LED daytime running lights, 18-inch dual-tone alloys, an 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, ventilated seats, an electric sunroof, a 360-degree camera and nine airbags.

The Alturas G4 was assembled in India using completely knocked-down kits (CKD).

Source: Zigwheels

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 1st December 2022 at 11:05.
TusharK is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 11:26   #2
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Alturas G4 discontinued in India; bookings halted

AFAIK, Alturas bookings have been halted since last few months. Recently I checked this with Sireesh (among the top dealerships in Bangalore) and they confirmed the same.
Zinda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 13:58   #3
BHPian

Does that mean a new model replacement is on its way ?!?
This was the most VFM car in the market.
deepjaju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 14:06   #4
BHPian

This was always coming. A sad ending to a capable car. The question now is does it make sense to buy it used as the prices will go down in used car market.
Aakash118 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 14:31   #5
BHPian

Apparently, this was the next gen Rexton.

The Rexton also could not fare well in our market as people were generally not adept to a (not so favourite) foreign car sold Mahindra. The pricing also did not help much in sales.

Similarly, the Alturas has been perceived in the same manner. A sales person himself explained to a customer that it was the next gen Rexton.

In my opinion, poor sales figures might have led Mahindra to take a decision to discontinue the production.
susan3004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 16:44   #6
BHPian

This is music to the ears of Toyota executives. I’m damn sure that there will be another board meeting scheduled for tomorrow morning to discuss by how much should they increase the price of the Fortuner.

Dear Meridian, you are next!
Dushyanth is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 16:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
I think not.
This was a rebadged SsangYong as far I can remember. Since Mahindra and Mahindra have sold their stake in the company there won't be a direct next-gen successor as such, although we should see them make an XUV '900' of sorts in-house in that price bracket.
Maky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 17:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:
This was the most VFM car in the market
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
I think not.
This was a rebadged SsangYong as far I can remember. Since Mahindra and Mahindra have sold their stake in the company there won't be a direct next-gen successor as such, although we should see them make an XUV '900' of sorts in-house in that price bracket.
Do not think a new model will make its way to India. And though VFM, no one really bought it. Tells us two things- 1) Mahindra didnt know how to sell a premium vehicle that is not a Scorpio, and 2) that VFM does not sell in this segment (look at the car with 90% marketshare in this segment- Fortuner)

The Alturas has been offered with 3-4 lakh discount for quite some time forget XUV900, the Scorpio-N with a couple of prike hikes will get into this price range.
achyutaghosh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 17:23   #9
BHPian

Alturas couldn't establish its name. So any new vehicle in that size needs to have a XUV-xxx for Scorpio++ nomenclature to sell. The XUV and Scorpio have firmly established their names and Mahindra can use them for any upgrades they plan.

With the momentum they have they should use the opportunity to move up to 35 lakh price range.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 19:07   #10
BHPian

Mahindra didn't put any resources nor money for its branding or marketing. The Indian version of Alturas didn't come with all the bells and whistles that its International sibling had. With the launch of XUV700, Alturas began to fade fast combined with Mahindra exiting SsangYong partnership, there was very little they could do with the car. The car simply didn't have the aura of the Endy or the Fortuner, it was still competent enough to give them a nice run while it lasted.

In hindsight this was a good partnership for Mahindra to have and with the right packaging and sharing of ADAS features from XUV700, this could have been the potential XUV900 giving Fortuner some real competition.

Now, Ford and SsangYong have exited the premium space. The only competitor left is MG Gloster in the B0F segment (Though, Scorpio-N sits a segment below, it is a good competition, but am not considering it). This almost makes Fortuner a monopoly in this segment and it would translate to higher prices for the Fortuner with its reliability story

I hope Mahindra has some inventory left and will drop in big discounts like they did for the earlier version that would translate to some sales, but still 40L for a 4x2 version is still expensive

Let's hope we get a good luxury BoF vehicle in this segment from one of the players soon.
diwakarmuthu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 09:44   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Certainly wasn't the segment-best SUV in any way, but it was value-for-money and a genuinely good alternative to body-on-frame 3-row SUVs like the Fortuner & Endeavour. But its demise was expected after all the recent developments around SsangYong.

Quote:
Nope. Mahindra effectively divorced SsangYong & very frankly, bankrupt SsangYong doesn't have the money to develop an expensive SUV either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Mahindra didnt know how to sell a premium vehicle that is not a Scorpio
They're selling the XUV700 (25 - 30 lakhs OTR) just fine. That's quite expensive for a "Mahindra" badge. Even the top variants of the Scorpio-N are well over 25. In 5 years, we will definitely see 35-lakh Mahindras. Existing product range, and the company is already toying with the idea of something above the XUV700. XUV900? XUV1000?
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 11:44   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

In hindsight Ssangyong as an independent brand may have had success in the market.

Mahindra as a brand would set certain expectations from the customers, that includes price - people are ready to live with the compromises of a Mahindra given what they pay for it and what they get in return. They surely wont pay Toyota money for a Mahindra, regardless of whatever feature they claim it has.

However the price category that they now dominate is very important, they can surely stretch it to 35-40 in good time.

Name:  MM SUV.PNG
Views: 630
Size:  82.7 KB

So why the 30L segment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I have always maintained that no one needs to spend over 20 - 30 lakhs on a car, no matter what your requirement. Anything over that is an entirely discretionary spend driven mainly by desire. Not just today, but in the last 5 years, we have seen some pretty darn competitive cars under 30 lakhs.
Quote from : Link (Winds of Change in the Indian auto sector | Cars in the 20 - 30L range are super competitive)
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 16:31   #13
BHPian

Honestly, the Alturas G4 is a very capable SUV. It is a good alternative to the expensive Fortuner and excels in areas where comfort and safety are concerned. I am writing this after using it for 3 years now. Happy to note that the cover picture used in the thread is my Alturas. Even after 3 years, my Alturas still looks and feels like new. I have done 70K kms and got the 70K service done this week. Absolutely no issues till now, except that I am still waiting(almost 3 months) for the rear left tail lamp which was damaged. I am sure I can use it for another 5 years if parts are available, since I don't foresee any new similar launches (BoF) in reasonable price range. I am not too sure about the Meridian, since it feels underpowered to me.
Its good I bought the Alturas in 2019 with the buyback scheme after 4 years. If things turn ugly with parts & service, I'll use the buyback agreement to sell or exchange with another SUV.

Last edited by Pkumarblore : 2nd December 2022 at 16:37. Reason: Grammer
Pkumarblore is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 09:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Although the car flopped, I'm sure Mahindra learnt a lot in terms of technology they must've imparted with the usage of Ssangyong models here in India. 7OO is a great example and I don't think the Alturas will be missed by us at all, because 7OO has all the potential to mask the absence of Alturas.

Besides, Mahindra will introduce a more premium / bigger car in future which will sit in the same segment as Alturas.
gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 13:38   #15
BHPian

Was never the segment best in anyway and most customers who could afford to plonk that kind of money would not mind paying few extra to get the segment best with more reliability and more brand recall.

But hopefully Mahindra was able to learn some important engineering lessons from their Ssangyong venture that they will be able to deploy in future XUV*** models.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks