Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2022?
Maruti Alto K10 10 0.44%
Citroen C3 52 2.30%
Maruti Baleno 16 0.71%
Toyota Glanza 6 0.27%
Maruti Brezza 44 1.94%
Tata Tiago EV 275 12.15%
Kia Carens 93 4.11%
Skoda Slavia 142 6.27%
Volkswagen Virtus 207 9.15%
Maruti Grand Vitara 170 7.51%
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder 299 13.21%
Mahindra Scorpio-N 632 27.93%
Hyundai Tucson 148 6.54%
Jeep Meridian 13 0.57%
Toyota Hilux 20 0.88%
BYD Atto 3 20 0.88%
Audi Q3 2 0.09%
Mini Cooper SE 3 0.13%
Mercedes-Benz C-Class 22 0.97%
Volvo XC40 Recharge 11 0.49%
Kia EV6 78 3.45%
Voters: 2263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2022, 12:56   #31
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2022 | EDIT: It's the Scorpio-N

Voted for Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder. Definitely not an enthusiast's choice but the most practical car. Specially that mid full hybrid variant screams value for money. Thanks to MSIL and Toyota for making hybrid cars mainstream. Hopefully others will follow and replace their diesels with Petrol Hybrids. With current charging infra, full hybrid seems to be the way to go for the Indian market. Also, better for the environment.

Personally, I think ScorpioN is going to win this poll.
TheWall is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 13:05   #32
BHPian

Amazing list of contenders. We can vote for only one car, therefore I am listing my honorable mentions

1. Citroen C3 - Simply because with it Citroen has shown that the old school brilliance of mechanical engineering, the soul of a car that provides the 'joy of driving', can be had at affordable prices too. Citroen has not only demonstrated their expertise in automobile engineering, but also their intent to differentiate itself in a sea of 'features' driven market. Unfortunately, its small network and missing AT is a major drawback. Game improver, not a game changer

2. Virtus/Slavia twins: Again, differentiating with brilliance in mechanical engineering and matching it with electronic gizmos. Their non-turbo engines have more torque than turbo offerings from Hyundai and the likes. Plus the pseudo diff lock (clever way of achieving it with ABS/ESP manipulation), variable cylinder management, 5 star safety rating, funky styling, 1.5 turbo petrols make them a league ahead. Sadly, the sedan segment is dull and their reputation in after sales does them no favours. Game lifters, not changers.

3. Tiago EV - Tata is single handedly taking EVs to the masses, given the runaway hit that the Nexon has been. Nexon EV was a game changer, the Tiago takes the game forward or deeper, to the masses. However, as GTO said, EVs being mainstream are many years aways, mainly due to small charging infra, unknown cost/experience of ownership, resale value etc. Tata after sales is a gamble.

With that, my vote goes to Toyota Hyryder

By introducing mass-market Hybrid (and pricing it lower than Maruti's variants!), Toyota has brought along spectacular fuel efficiency, partial feeling of driving an EV (at least upto 40 km/hr) to Indian customers, without the anxiety of charging infra/time and packaged it latest gizmos and trust of Toyota engineering. With help of Maruti, they have clearly ignited a new segment. Hybrids are going to flow down to other key products in Maruti-Toyota range (Baleno, Dzire, maybe Ertiga, who knows). Trust Hyundai and maybe others to follow soon with their hybrids. I'm sure Honda will take a serious note of the response to hybrids and work on making their own more affordable. Non-premium feel aside, Hyrder is a game changer for sure!!

Last edited by cityslicker86 : 7th December 2022 at 13:31.
cityslicker86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 13:09   #33
BHPian

Voted for Tiago EV simply to appreciate Tata to bring EVs to affordable (kind of) level. This will help in adoption of EVs and improving the required infrastructure faster.
JitendraW is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 13:11   #34
BHPian

I vote for the Citroen C3

We're a (almost) 9 year old Honda Brio S MT owner with over 63k kms (only) on the odo. Recently I was telling my wife (she also drives) that if today we're to buy a new car and Brio was not around it would be the C3 Turbo!

Reasons listed above by GTO.

Maruti has tastefully upgraded their line-up except Ignis & Ciaz which are their lowest sellers. No wonder, 4 + 2 (Toyota) cars are present in the COTY polls.

Kia Carens is the next 'interesting' car but it's so costly, might as well get the Scorpio N for the N factor!

Kudos to Skoda-VW group for keeping the sedan segment alive.

Happy driving,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 13:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

A lot of good cars launched this year and happy to see manufacturers getting innovative and bringing in wonderful products.

Few I liked

1. Citroen C3: A wonderful car has some big misses yet has solid mechanicals. Citroen should have learned from KIA on how to launch a car/brand.

2. Tiago EV : Tata should have bought this long back. EV tech is still in developing and most buy as second/city car. A compact EV was the need of the hour and glad Tata realized the potential. That said Tata has a lot of work to do when it comes to after sales and quality control.

3. Toyota Urban Cruiser : Hybrid was always perceived as expensive technology. Kudos to Toyota/Maruti to making tech more affordable. While car has shortcomings, good effort by manufacturer and buyers now have an alternative to diesel.

4. Volvo XC40 Recharge: Everything from the product is right, Brand, tech, reasonable price, performance unfortunately is not backed up by dealer and to certain extent manufacturer as well. Volvo doesnot enjoy brand value as German counterparts and needs to invest more on building brand.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 13:27   #36
BANNED

Voted: Kia Carens

My vote is not for car that makes me happy or one that I might want to add to my garage. My vote is reserved for the car that kicked the market in the gut and has the potential to reshape some aspects of the auto industry.

For me, that's Kia Carens. NO ONE. Literally, NO ONE was expecting a Rs. 9.0 lakh starting price for a car measuring longer than the Honda City 5th. Especially not in a hot market. Considering that it has 3-row seating and is longer than the Seltos, expecting a price tag below the Seltos made absolutely no sense.

Even after price adjustments, it's still starting at just under Rs. 10.0 lakh and has:
- 6 airbags
- rear disc brakes
- front and 2nd row armrests
- all power windows
- 2nd, 3rd row AC vents
- height-adjustable driver seat
- tyre pressure monitoring
- ESC, HSA
- split-folding 2nd and 3rd row seats
- wheel covers
- all adjustable headrests

The Carens covers the basics so well, that for a simple people mover, it still makes tremendous sense. For the price, you might only miss a music system and remote central locking. Maybe steering-mounted controls. Everything else is there. I can't praise such cars enough, which get the base variant right. The Carens is one of those. Right up there with the Magnite and Astor.

Hell, it's not only the most affordable D-segment (>4500mm) car, it's also the only one under Rs. 10.0 lakh (ex-showroom). It reminds me of the Nissan's Caaaaar ads for the Sunny.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 7th December 2022 at 13:31.
MaheshY1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 13:29   #37
BHPian

Voted for Scorpio-N:

1. A Leap of improvement over last generation shows the commitment of OEM
2. 2L TGDI >200 BHP had defined a different class all together, with the competitive Ex showroom price
3. Continue to provide refined, creamy and powerful Diesel offering in this era of policy uncertainty
4. AWD capability when other OEMS shy themselves away for these offerings fearing low volumes
5. All necessary feature for creature comfort, guess market feedback is taken seriously
6. True macho SUV look among the sea of crossovers
Old 7th December 2022, 13:38   #38
BHPian

My vote would have gone for the Honda City e:HEV considering that it is the only car(Barring Innova Hycross) which offers both fuel efficiency and ADAS advantage.

That said, with the current set of options, I voted for the Tiago EV for breaking all barriers and bringing in an affordable EV for the city commuting segment. Maruti also delivered an excellent upgraded product - the 2022 Brezza packaging the new features of sunroof, 360 degree camera, ESC, side/curtain airbags etc. making it a solid package, but still Tiago EV wins my vote.

And advanced congratulations to Scorpio which should most likely win this poll based on the trends.
skarthiksr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 13:38   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the EV6. Wish other top manufacturers were as bold as the Kia-Hyundai combine in getting such bleeding edge vehicles to India instead of whining about Customs duties and RTO charges. I wish both the EV6 and the Ioniq 5 the best of luck. Seeing them, VAG is hurrying the iD4 and others to India. Toyota could also get the bZ instead of moaning about India in general.

Kudos to Kia-Hyundai!
itwasntme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 13:49   #40
BHPian

A tough one this time. I would definitely need some time to think and vote.

In the head, the fight is between Scorpio-N, Tiago-EV and the hybrid twins from Japs.
In the heart, the fight is between Virtus (I might end up buying this next year) and the spectacular but dubious safety blockbuster Carens.
In the gut, the fight is between Scorpio-N and Virtus.

All in all, it is definitely a better year for us customers when the choices are much more than the previous years.
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 13:58   #41
Senior - BHPian

It's quite a contention out there.

I value experience and thus I voted for the C3: It's a car that honours the basics- ride quality, dynamics and driveability. It's a car that lets you experience what a more expensive car feels like without any of the bells and whistles. It's a car that you wouldn't get bored off once the feel good factor of all the gadgetry wears off.

It sealed the deal for me.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 14:00   #42
BHPian

Voted for ScorpionN.

BoF RWD SUVs are disappearing. If not for the Scorpio and the ScorpioN, the choices would move to the fortuner segment. With manufacturers moving out of BoF platforms, success of ScorpioN is a statement that this doesn't have to die now.

I like the Slavia too. Specifically the 1.5L manual. The performance on offer is fantastic. However, the car being plagued with issues on fundamental areas makes me want to look away.

If there was a powerful diesel sedan, I would've voted for it, as my first choice. I don't suppose something like that would happen in the non luxury segments.
Old 7th December 2022, 14:05   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

I voted for the Tata Tiago EV.
  1. Its truly significant given the mass market segment in which it lands.
  2. Takes real world usable EV to the households, without any real shortcomings.
  3. A tried & tested donor car - customers aren't test subjects. Can be trusted to be reliable.
  4. ZipTron is also now well tested & has not been complained about by users for reliability issues. Definitely confidence inspiring.
  5. Fills the EXACT void in which real practical EVs can be put to use. Perfect city run-abouts or 2nd cars with all the bells & whistles, respectable range per charge & proven safety record.
A no-nonsense car. Tiago EV can be the mass-market revolution, that its spiritual predecessor - Indica Diesel - was.

Last edited by Reinhard : 7th December 2022 at 14:15.
Reinhard is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 14:08   #44
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes to TIAGO EV.

That's one car which I believe is the perfect city car for the near future. All the issues with ICE Tiago are sorted with this one.

Jerky AMT? Gone.
Gruff engine? Gone. EVs are anyways smooth and faster off the line.
Feature? This has features from segments above(cruise control/automatic wipers)
Since ICE Tiago is already 4*, I don't expect this to be worse in terms of safety.
Priced at a sweet spot where the masses can actually take the plunge.

TATA just needs to sort out its A.S.S but that's not the fault of the car. So as a car, this would be my choice for COTY 2022.

Last edited by SoumenD : 7th December 2022 at 14:21.
SoumenD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 14:27   #45
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
Why Honda City e:HEV doesn't feature in the list?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajoseph04 View Post
Yep. The City eHEV certainly deserve a nomination in the poll.
It's a remarkable hybrid and I personally love it. However, unlike the Grand Vitara & Hyryder Hybrids, it is not a new car. Rather, its hybrid tech is added to the same familiar City.

Don't want to argue endlessly on this, so we may please end the discussion here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
At the first thought, even without reading the list of options, I wanted to vote for the Toyota Innova Hycross as the COTY 2022. From the review (released just yesterday) it looks like a totally different car than the current Innova Crysta, and has enough new technology (with all the goodness of Toyota and Innova brands) to truly make it a COTY. For some reason it is not included here. Maybe because it will be actually out in 2023?
Launching in 2023, hence it will be a part of COTY 2023.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks