Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2022?
Maruti Alto K10 10 0.44%
Citroen C3 52 2.30%
Maruti Baleno 16 0.71%
Toyota Glanza 6 0.27%
Maruti Brezza 44 1.94%
Tata Tiago EV 275 12.15%
Kia Carens 93 4.11%
Skoda Slavia 142 6.27%
Volkswagen Virtus 207 9.15%
Maruti Grand Vitara 170 7.51%
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder 299 13.21%
Mahindra Scorpio-N 632 27.93%
Hyundai Tucson 148 6.54%
Jeep Meridian 13 0.57%
Toyota Hilux 20 0.88%
BYD Atto 3 20 0.88%
Audi Q3 2 0.09%
Mini Cooper SE 3 0.13%
Mercedes-Benz C-Class 22 0.97%
Volvo XC40 Recharge 11 0.49%
Kia EV6 78 3.45%
Voters: 2263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2022, 14:34   #46
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2022 | EDIT: It's the Scorpio-N

This one's car. My options were:

1) The VW Twins - These are cars with engines that punch way above their weight, until recently, Audis had similar engines. VW really delivered for the enthusiast, and that too designed specifically for India. The after-market infotainment is silly though.

2) Hyundai Tucson - Amazing interior easily beats German rivals that cost 10-15 lakhs more. Just wish it got a turbo-petrol in India.

3) Mahindra Scorpio N - The one I voted for, just because the vehicle just blew my mind. Better than its predecessors in every way and possibly even better than the Fortuner or Gloster, the former of which is pushing 60 lakhs in some states. Only the erstwhile Endeavour would've been a better BoF vehicle under 40-45 lakhs. My vote goes for the Scorpio.
dragracer567 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 14:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder.

Smart package overall, a proper hybrid available. There have been interesting and exciting launches from Mahindra too, but then the quality is pretty inconsistent.

Urban Cruiser Hyryder clicks all right boxes for majority of buyers. Quite late from Toyota,but finally a formidable product. Dual clutch transmissions globally had issues, Carens as a people mover I would expect a tried and tested torque converter unit. Else Carens came close.
Old 7th December 2022, 14:57   #48
BHPian

Voted for ScorpioN.

By far the best BOF SUV for a reasonable price.

2 more updates from Mahindra to have a perfect line-up.
  • Bring-in hybrid tech to the already great 2L petrol mStallion engine. This will make it a complete engine which decent fuel economy.
  • Leave the under 4m segment and make the XUV300 similar in length to XUV400. This is a great car with an unfinished rear and it's time to make amends.
Old 7th December 2022, 15:10   #49
BHPian

For once I went with the majority and chose Scorpio N. The reasons for my choice are:

It is an Indian product with maximum product/component sourcing done locally - I liked this factor still:

1. It delivered as a product as it had enormous responsibility on it's shoulder (I am talking about Scorpio as a Brand and not Mahindra)

2. It is giving many foreign players a run for their money, which happens rarely in India

3. Road presence/snob value - I would like to be in one for sure. I don't think Safari/Harrier has the presence or the snob value as Scorpio N

4. Pricing - Priced for us - Indians (for now) and wait for few months.

5. Engineering - It is a well put together product especially (leaving the niggles), the engine/auto gearbox combo is super sweet and fun to drive

My second choice - Tiago EV. No competition at all yet and I can not see anything in the horizon as well. Geely may have one in the making but Tiago EV is the Tesla until that for India's middle income consumer.

Special mention Kia EV6. It is a futuristic offering from Kia. If at all I want to buy a stylish, futuristic, feature rich EV, this is the one. But this is not for Indian city roads I believe, being a CBU. It is a very high quality showcasing of Kia technology and design prowess. Thanks to Kia to let us taste the latest in EV.

Last edited by sgmuser : 7th December 2022 at 15:12. Reason: typo
Old 7th December 2022, 15:17   #50
BHPian

Voted for Slavia not just because it has all the essential elements that a good car should have but because it’s not overpriced, looks way better than all other cars under 20 lakh bracket (except Virtus which is even better looking) and offers a distinguishing proposition in the fish-market of SUVs. Virtus/Slavia duo should win the COTY award for offering what no other car manufacturer could do.
Old 7th December 2022, 15:19   #51
Team-BHP Support

Voted for the Mercedes C-Class. A better petrol engine option would have been ideal, but otherwise it ticks almost all aspects – a classy sedan with top-notch safety, ride comfort, well-appointed/luxurious interiors, and a feature-list to match. I feel it will stay on top in its segment at least until the next gen 3-series arrives.
Old 7th December 2022, 15:20   #52
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

The last of the Breed - the Scorpio N.
We have to appreciate this vehicle. It offers excellent value. And many of the same features and abilities of vehicles which are priced double.
Old 7th December 2022, 15:26   #53
BHPian

My vote goes to Urban Cruiser Hyrider. The car certainly has flaws but it can serve as a good solution for the transformation from conventional ICE to EVs. From all the test drive reports it offers 50% more fuel economy compared to the pure ICE model in bumper-to-bumper conditions. In my opinion for a country like India where electricity is largely from a nonrenewable resource hybrid makes more sense for the next 5 years at least.
Old 7th December 2022, 15:43   #54
BHPian

Voted for the Grand Vitara

Reasoning

1. The mid-size SUV segment is one of the largest and fastest growing segments. In the long run I believe this will be the largest segment in India. The Grand Vitara announces Maruti’s long awaited entry here, and finally brings some real competition to the Korean Twins. The GV will likely impact the most number of customers amongst the other contenders in the list. And if it forces Hyundai, Kia to up their game, it’s great for all of us!

2. Hybrid Tech is an ideal solution to significantly reduce emissions, improve efficiency and also give a taste of Electric driving at an affordable price point, while we wait for the charging infrastructure to improve. I think these will be great bridge vehicles over the next 5 years as we transition to Electric.
Old 7th December 2022, 15:57   #55
Senior - BHPian

I would really have liked to vote for the Grand Vitara for democratising hybrids. But while that's a big factor, after test-driving its rivals I don't it brings much else to the segment that rivals from MG and VW already don't.

The Skoda Slavia on the other hand is a real breath of fresh air in a segment that is otherwise full of what I think are rather boring cars. Classy, typical Skoda interiors (unlike the Kushaq), drop-dead gorgeous exteriors, good safety features and interesting powertrain options mean it's the Slavia for me.

I like the Virtus too but its air dam is a little funny-looking and I think the interiors don't give the same "family car" vibe the Slavia does. But I like both cars enough to safely say that they have made C-segment sedans my new favourite segment.

The Scorpio N is excellent by 'old' Mahindra standards and a worthy successor to the old Scorpio but after the expectation set by Mahindra with last year's CoTY I think it falls short in some areas.

The Kia Carens is good value and my pick in its segment but the less-than-impressive GNCAP rating and questionable performance of some safety features mean I won't place it above the Slavia.
ron178 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 15:59   #56
BHPian

It is undoubtedly the Scorpio N for me. To take an iconic "car" and totally redefine it while keeping all the good things intact or improving on them is an awesome achievement. The current iteration is without any doubt the benchmark vehicle for this segment for the coming decade. I cannot think of any product that can rival the Scorpio N at this price point. Clearly head and shoulders above anything that has been launched this year.
Old 7th December 2022, 16:16   #57
BHPian

I wish there was just one option for the twins like slavia/virtus or vitara/ hyryder.

Can't really make up my mind about which one I prefer hence tossed a coin and voted for the Slavia.

The 5 star safety rating aside, this is pretty much the only c segment sedan that pulls your heartstrings in a sea of compact and full sized suvs.

Also seems to be helping in Skoda expanding and revamping its ASS which is helpful for older Skoda owners like me.

The only other car launch that I would put my money on this year is the Hycross but I guess it has launched too late to be a part of this year's poll. Hope it is included next year.

Last edited by anandhsub : 7th December 2022 at 16:17.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 16:22   #58
BHPian

Voted Tiago EV. Also voted with our wallet.
A reasonable priced hatch was needed to democratize the EV
chinkara is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 16:40   #59
BHPian

Virtus!
It's desirable and practical. Has all the necessary features and the safety to go with it. The 1.5 is a hoot at that price point. Hope the sales pick up.

Last edited by DieselAnna : 7th December 2022 at 16:54. Reason: typo
DieselAnna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 16:47   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the Urban Cruiser Hyryder - the first reasonably priced strong hybrid in the mid-size SUV segment, which is loaded with features and delivers nearly double the fuel efficiency in city driving conditions compared to the existing segment leaders.

I feel this poll is causing split votes - Skoda Slavia and VW Virtus are almost identical, so someone voting for a fast, sleek, modern looking and safe mid-size sedan may vote for either of these. Similarly Urban Cruiser Hyryder and Grand Vitara may also cause votes to be split, as someone voting for the first affordable strong hybrid mid-size SUV may vote on either side, and the differences between the vehicles is very narrow. So we may want to add up the votes on these identical pairs to see if the total exceeds the Scorpio N's - so far, Scorpio N is clearly ahead even with the votes of the pairs added, so this may be a moot point.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 7th December 2022 at 16:49.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed