Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2007, 22:45   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
And the 1.5 engine will get the excise cut, since it must be something like 1493cc or so and anything less then 1.5L qualifies
IIRC, its 1.4L for diesel and 1.2 for petrol.
Also, jomz told me that with the BSIII norms,all diesel engines come with a turbo.So,NA must be out of the question.
Old 15th July 2007, 23:17   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Also, jomz told me that with the BSIII norms,all diesel engines come with a turbo.So,NA must be out of the question.
Now i wish this is indeed true. We dont need another phased development of an engine where we get the NA diesel first, turbo next and a dicor to follow. We would like the new Indica with dicor please.

Good effort at first glance. Before we make judgements let us wait till we can all see it without the testing suit. The test mule looks severely under-tyred. Which is not bad considering the ample wheel well and the after market opportunities that exist.
Old 15th July 2007, 23:57   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which is not bad considering the ample wheel well and the after market opportunities that exist.
You would not want to upsize and void your warranty since TATA cars do have problems in the intial batches and they can say your upsizing has caused problems due to which we wont honour your warranty.

Quote:
hehe. FIAT influence, i guess!
I hope there is no Tata infulence on Fiat.

Quote:
the digital meter has red display.
The digital display is for what, speedometer? Tacho?

Quote:
The current diesel Indica's are 1405cc so wont they be above 1.4L, its 1.5L if i remember correctly!

Quote:
Most old gen Benz have single wiper.
the W124, W123, W210 to name a few butttttt Mercedes Benz are the future of the automobiles they have long stopped using such a thing and two wipers are standard on Merc's since a long time, this step by Tata on the wipers is a step backwards. Maybe Fiat had loads of single wipers with motors lying and Tata thought of making full use of it.
Old 16th July 2007, 01:09   #109
Senior - BHPian

Well the headlight and the C pillar layout (especially with the rear window glass angle vs the tailgate angle) has really depressed me. The side profile of the car looks like a great opportunity lost. There was nothing to fault with on the originals side profile apart from the diminutive wheels. The headlights looks more inspired by the 2002 Kia Rio (and then elongated) rather than the Peugeot. Boring is what this car looks like, hope when the camouflage goes away it looks different from what I assume it will look like.

Could it be possible that the white portion is also camouflaging, the real car is actually inside. The front foor panel the way it meets the front fender gives me the feeling that whatever white we are seeing is also camouflaging. Also the way the headlight is not flush with the fender is another indicator.

Last edited by 1100D : 16th July 2007 at 01:15.
Old 16th July 2007, 03:14   #110
BHPian

Looks good only and if they are able to maintain the same price its a welcome change ,there should be more refinement and reliabilty ,after all indca was already a very good looking work horse
Old 16th July 2007, 04:25   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
the W124, W123, W210 to name a few butttttt Mercedes Benz are the future of the automobiles they have long stopped using such a thing and two wipers are standard on Merc's since a long time, this step by Tata on the wipers is a step backwards. Maybe Fiat had loads of single wipers with motors lying and Tata thought of making full use of it.
This is the reason why I mentioned Benz. Just because TATA has a tie-up with Fiat doesn't mean everything new they do is a result of that tie-up. Couldn't it be that TATA wants to market this model in Europe and hence the center wiper? I do not understand why everything TATA does is being attributed to FIAT... first it was the engine for 1 lakh car, then for Indica and god knows what else. What is the extent of their tie-up?
Old 16th July 2007, 10:30   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
Most old gen Benz have single wiper.
Yes, but in the Benz, the blade telescopes as the arm rotates, making a clean sweep all around.
Old 16th July 2007, 10:40   #113
BHPian

Quote:
This is the reason why I mentioned Benz. Just because TATA has a tie-up with Fiat doesn't mean everything new they do is a result of that tie-up. Couldn't it be that TATA wants to market this model in Europe and hence the center wiper? I do not understand why everything TATA does is being attributed to FIAT... first it was the engine for 1 lakh car, then for Indica and god knows what else. What is the extent of their tie-up?
Nice point here. I am surprised the way everyone associates everything in Tata with Fiat. Did anyone check whether the tyres of the Indica V3 is from Fiat? Just kidding...!
Old 16th July 2007, 10:52   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DileepKS View Post
Yes, but in the Benz, the blade telescopes as the arm rotates, making a clean sweep all around.
Which benz are you talking about? My friend has a 1996 or 7 C class and neither the blade nor the rotor telescope. Anyway, how does telescoping improve the sweep? This may be OT.
Old 16th July 2007, 15:08   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's not correct nitrous in so far as diesel is concerned. The figure is indeed 1.5 L. So, theoretically, even 1499 CC would qualify.

Quote:
That again is not correct. You do have Euro-III compliant diesels without Turbo. What better example than the ubiquitous Indica. EGRS does the trick there.

Going by the terminology Tatas usually use, this car is indeed a 1.5 L naturally aspirated diesel!
Old 16th July 2007, 15:23   #116
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes introduced the single windshield wiper around 1987 in what was then called the Nauveu series but soon got christened as the "E" class. IIRC, this was the W 124 series that Mercedes introduced in India in mid nineties, with rectangular headlights.

Mercedes used to claim that the wiper cleans 80% of the windshield which was more than that for any other car.

The E class series introduced after W 124 (the one with twin round headlights) discarded the single wiper. The current E class also features twin wipers.
Old 16th July 2007, 15:48   #117
BHPian

The telescoping wiper was seen on a number of Benz cars. It is mounted right in the centre. At rest, the blade is telescoped out, so that it extends closer to the corner of the windscreen. When the arm rotates, The blade initially stays where it is, drawing a wide arc. When the tip nears the top edge of the glass, the blade telescopes in, kind of tracking the top edge.

In effect, instead of drawing a semicircle, the wiper draws a very shallow inverted U.

I noticed it in the Benz cabs I rode in Berlin (circa 1998).
Old 16th July 2007, 18:19   #118
Senior - BHPian

Good show once again Tushky!

The steering looks height adjustable.
Headlamps look vey smart.
The instrument cluster and its location are a big turn off!
Old 16th July 2007, 19:22   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which benz are you talking about? My friend has a 1996 or 7 C class and neither the blade nor the rotor telescope. Anyway, how does telescoping improve the sweep? This may be OT.
By 1996 that feature was off. My car has a single wiper that elongates at the corners. BTW can the photoshoppers get started on the prototypes. Just a simple request, add the S10 spoiler to the car (just to see how the thing would have looked had the rear tailgate top angle was different.

Last edited by 1100D : 16th July 2007 at 19:32.
Old 19th September 2007, 12:40   #120
Senior - BHPian

Even New Indica X1 is being tested out of India too.. got this photo on Net.

Most Viewed