Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2007, 18:33   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
IF Tata can take care of the glitches in the earlier Indica I am sure they can give Swift a run for the money.
If they are using same 1.3 Fiat engine then I don't think they will face big problem.
Old 30th November 2007, 18:43   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkanitkar View Post
If they are using same 1.3 Fiat engine then I don't think they will face big problem.
Engine is not the only component in the car. I do not think Tata engines have been unreliable so far. It is just that they were not able to put the car together as well as other manufacturers did. But, from various reviews in this forum itself, the latest lot of Indi* were much better than the earlier ones in terms of quality.

I hope the new Indica will up the quality levels further.
Old 30th November 2007, 19:21   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
I hope the new Indica will up the quality levels further.
Don't know about the quality levels but the design levels are definitely coming down :
  1. Instrument cluster is in the centre of the dashboard, not where it should be. Reason: To reduce manufacturing cost. You make do with the same dashboard for all markets, including left hand drive ones. Tata saves on the cost of additional dies.
  2. Only one wiper on the windshield. Reason: lower cost
  3. Independent rear suspension given up in favour of less sophisticated, twisted beam set up. Reason: lower cost
Old 30th November 2007, 20:41   #139
BHPian

Not sure about suspension part read somewhere that non - independent suspension gives better packaging for hatchbacks
Old 1st December 2007, 00:03   #140
SuperSyn

I think there will be two sub-types of the new-all-new Indica:

One with Fiat diesel engine, the other with TATA's desi engine. Couldn't care less about Petrol/Gasoline engine.

And of course they will likely retain the present generation Indica for VFM types.

Old 1st December 2007, 19:13   #141
Senior - BHPian

Though the Tata's will certainly have to improve the quality of their vehicles , they would have to work on the public perception as well.

The swift has been reported to have problems with the clutch conking off in less than 20 K Km anut d even then there is a big queue to by the car. A tata product on the other hand is rubbished by people who have never owned the products but paased the verdict on the basis of a couple of taxi rides.
Old 1st December 2007, 23:13   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
  1. Instrument cluster is in the centre of the dashboard, not where it should be. Reason: To reduce manufacturing cost. You make do with the same dashboard for all markets, including left hand drive ones. Tata saves on the cost of additional dies.
I guess the dashboard cannot be the same even if the instrument panel is moved to the centre. The glovebox, space for co-driver airbags etc. would still be uniquely placed as per the LH or RH requirement. wont they?
Old 2nd December 2007, 00:37   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
I guess the dashboard cannot be the same even if the instrument panel is moved to the centre. The glovebox, space for co-driver airbags etc. would still be uniquely placed as per the LH or RH requirement. wont they?
you are right. If TATA is thinking to buy LR etc, they are definately serious to improve quality of their cars.
Old 3rd December 2007, 22:30   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
I think there will be two sub-types of the new-all-new Indica:

One with Fiat diesel engine, the other with TATA's desi engine. Couldn't care less about Petrol/Gasoline engine.

And of course they will likely retain the present generation Indica for VFM types.
It seems that Desi Engine new Indica X1 will be launched early next year and the Fiat engine will debut after 6 months or so. The new car will be unleashed in Jan Auto Expo.
Old 3rd December 2007, 22:45   #145
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkanitkar View Post
I saw this new Indica on X1 today. I have seen these cars in past but the difference I notice was change in head lamp and front design. This time I saw two new Indicas following each other. The head lamp was circular like Spark or Merc. Grill design is changed. Even taillamps design is changed.
And yes, there was absolutely no noise from engine while it was passing thru. Last time when it pass thru I could make it it's Indica. I think they might have changed engine , may be fiat one. One thing I must say, this car looks different from current one, it looks really big as well.
This might be the Hybrid Version undergoing test . They had plans of launching a "mild hybrid" (donno wat they mean by mild though) sometime in 2008....
Old 4th December 2007, 14:42   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
That's not difficult at all. Glovebox and Co-driver airbag can be made interchangeable by keeping the space/cavity design identical.
Old 4th December 2007, 15:24   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Don't know about the quality levels but the design levels are definitely coming down :
  2. Only one wiper on the windshield. Reason: lower cost
  3. Independent rear suspension given up in favour of less sophisticated, twisted beam set up. Reason: lower cost
Can't comment on point 2 and 3, but I fail to understand how having a central console means a climb down on design levels.

I currently drive a Spark and find absolutely NO difference whatsoever in having a centrally located console (from adriving POV). And if this aids in cost reduction AND if it is passed on to customers, I see no harm in it.
Old 19th December 2007, 19:38   #148
Senior - BHPian

got a chance to sit in This Beautiful vehile.. this car is HUGE from inside. it has got a BIG car feel. dashboard looks awesome. the digital display was blue, in another car it was red. dont know about dashboard quality because it was covered. but steering quality felt nice. rear seat is really like sofa. when i sat inside i felt like i am in Indiva. engine noise was same as Swift diesel. driver said that there is 1.2 Lit engine too. there were 3 car's. and only 1 car had single front Wiper. other were with double wipers..
Old 19th December 2007, 20:07   #149
Senior - BHPian

That's great news. Guess you were not allowed to take pics
Old 19th December 2007, 20:10   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
That's great news. Guess you were not allowed to take pics
yes.. actually i cought one pic from outside.. but not from inside..

but this is a worth wait car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks