Team-BHP - Indica (X1 code) test vehicles. (Now with pics)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Indica (X1 code) test vehicles. (Now with pics) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/26005-indica-x1-code-test-vehicles-now-pics.html)

Had been to the local Tata dealership here in Hubli, as my cousin's Indigo had a power steering issue.

As we were waiting to take delivery of his car, we saw 2 hatchbacks camouflaged with white stickers and black (plastic) body panels enter the premises. These guys had just driven down from Pune. These prototypes are code named "X1".

They're similar to the Indica in size, they had beige interiors with centralised dials (like in the Nissan X-trail).

The head lights were sleek (similar to the ones on the NHC).

The windsheild was really large with the wipers tucked in at a lower level (like the euro Civic).

The crease that runs along the side is now at the door handle level (like the Getz).

The door handles now look like the ones on the Innova.

They said the cars were running "fiat" diesel engines with similar power output to the one that does duty on the Swift.

From what i could imagine hiding behind all those body panels, it looked pretty good. Hope they get the driving dynamics right with this one.

Shan2nu

so, the fiatata is after all in the making!! hopefully they retain the fiat name somewhere on that car and dont claim its fully TATA technology!! but if they can improve on the boot and obviously price it lesser than the swift D, and give abs, airbags, defogger, etc then this car WILL ROCK !

Center mounted IP, wouldn't that mean one has to not only take eyes off-the road but also move your head to read the instrument cluster. I dont see any benefit of this center setup apart from saving costs in building RHD and LHD versions.

Since the Headlights are more like NHC, and the light catcher line as explained by you, I have a feeling this will end up looking like a NHC with no tail. Meaning when Fit/Aria arrives it will only be a familiar face. (But Fit/Aria/Jazz has a different headlight to NHC)

Quote:

Meaning when Fit/Aria arrives it will only be a familiar face. (But Fit/Aria/Jazz has a different headlight to NHC)
Trust me, Tata has been studying the Jazz for some time now.....in the metal (If you know what i mean). ;)

Shan2nu

hmmm do you have any snaps for a scoop ;)

Well, from the other spy pics I have seen, it seems larger..much larger than the current Indica. Just check out the size of the rear quarter glass on that one....its much bigger than the current models, suggesting an even larger door and better interior space.
Cant wait to see this one in flesh. :).

tushky, where are you??

we would like to know how the car looks like, esp. the front bonnet is it visible from inside??

@shan2nu,
is the car looked as if its based on the tata's concept car indiva???

Yes, the next generation Indica is going to be a stunner. And keeping in mind with TATA's pricing, I think it will give some serious reason for Swift DDis to worry about.
My assumption is that it may be equipped almost similar like the very much over hyped yet to bet launched Skoda Fabia. While priced far below it.

Kudos, TATA! Keep it up.

When can we expect this new Indica? 2008 or 2009?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan2nu (Post 490776)

:eek: Man! What a beauty!
Wish they had this one too in India to compete with the SRV (Except in this case, people will buy whatever honda sells)

Where the heck is your camera when you need it! Whatta scoop, awesome information Shantanu.

This is obviously the new Indica and from your initial observations, looks like Tata is not leaving a stone unturned. The Fiat engine may help to solve the one sore point of the Indica : refinement. They got it pretty good the last time, and I expect its going to be a rock star in the second generation model. Tata have learned a lot from the current Indica / Indigo.

Wow !! From what you have seen & described it seems like TATA is going to now be targeting the segment they were unable to address so far thus. They are basically ironing out the rough spots of the car & making it qualitatively competitive with much more established brands.

TATA already has a lot of pluses - this should be another BIG +ve
Kudos to TATA..way to go !!!!!!!

Cheers

One thing i fail to understand. Its said to be much bigger than the current Indica. Now we all know that Indica beats some of the sedans as far as space is concerned. Why the heck they need to make it even more spacious?:confused: Wouldnt it be cumbersome to move around such big vehicle in traffic clogged cities? Or are they making an Indica XL ? lol:

Eager to see the new Tata.
I expect that space may be the same, but it may look bigger because it may be quite high (more like sx4 types... ).
Long time back i saw some pictures on email which was supposed to be Indica V3. Is this the same what we are talking about? If it is the same, i thought it looked big .. almost like a fusion type of car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sajo (Post 490800)
Well, from the other spy pics I have seen, it seems larger..much larger than the current Indica. Just check out the size of the rear quarter glass on that one....its much bigger than the current models, suggesting an even larger door and better interior space.

I think the rear door could be on the lines of the Indigo XL? Nice scoop Shan2nu. Hope this car hits the roads soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCEite (Post 491269)
One thing i fail to understand. Its said to be much bigger than the current Indica. Now we all know that Indica beats some of the sedans as far as space is concerned. Why the heck they need to make it even more spacious?:confused: Wouldnt it be cumbersome to move around such big vehicle in traffic clogged cities? Or are they making an Indica XL ?

On the other hand, wouldn't you love to have Fusion like inside space, at a price of say, the Swift? I'm sure, i do. Not the only factor, but i would love to have spacious interiors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deep_bang (Post 491273)
Eager to see the new Tata.
I expect that space may be the same, but it may look bigger because it may be quite high (more like sx4 types... ).
Long time back i saw some pictures on email which was supposed to be Indica V3. Is this the same what we are talking about? If it is the same, i thought it looked big .. almost like a fusion type of car.

Isn't it hard to tell you if this is the same car you saw in your e-mail? or may be you could give us the password. ;)