Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2023, 12:24   #136
BHPian

Re: Next-gen BMW X1, now launched at 45.90 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPB_drives View Post
Drive impressions of BMW X1 (2023 model)

Considering that its been 6 solid years of owning the Jeep Compass, an itch to finally upgrade from it has started to creep in. I have been making time to test drive the viable options and generally been driving different cars (ahhh, SUVs ) to understand the latest and greatest money can buy when someone is willing to invest around INR 55-60 Lakhs in this day and age.

The Dilemma
After having test driven the two most viable options for an upgrade from the Jeep, I’m left a bit puzzled and would like all of you to weigh in with your thoughts. I found both these cars, demanding around INR 58-62 Lakhs (on road) to be a disappointment. Heck, the latest Compass Model S, is actually not too far behind these German super-models. Should I even consider upgrading to another Jeep – I just don’t know? I have test driven a Hyundai Tuscon as well, and but cannot get savvy with its design. I look forward to checking out the Kodiaq, but Skoda as a brand does not still feel very dependable to me. Please do let me know what you all think.

Cheers,

SPB

Some pictures from the spin
Just stay away from the X1. It's underpowered engines and FWD will make it a downgrade from your Compass. If you want an entry level German, just get the GLA 220d AMG line. Although not the best, but has good engine, and good dynamics thanks to the AWD system. I wouldn't recommend the Meridian as it feels similar to your Compass. About the dependability of Skoda, it depends on dealer to dealer. Some are good while some are bad. I have a Rapid TDI MT and I'm satisfied with it.

Last edited by IREV : 21st April 2023 at 12:25.
IREV is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 13:46   #137
Senior - BHPian

@SBP_drives

Entry level germans don't make sense anymore unless it's a company lease or you really really want the badge. Useful features like keyless entry and ventilated seats are omitted though its present in cars that are half the price and now power too is being lowered.

If you are dead set on the badge and want a diesel, I would get the GLA220d 4matic for it's 8 year free warranty + 190hp.

If you want a petrol, check out the Audi Q3 sportback

Or you can just get yourself a nice VW tiguan which is bigger, 190hp and has all the features missing from the other 3.
Cresterk is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 14:10   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPB_drives View Post
The Dilemma
After having test driven the two most viable options for an upgrade from the Jeep, I’m left a bit puzzled and would like all of you to weigh in with your thoughts. Please do let me know what you all think.
A friend picked up a Q5 at 66.5L in Gurgaon last month. For the premium, Q5 seems like a much worthy upgrade compared to the entry level X1 and GLAs.
Revvman is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 17:08   #139
BHPian

I would recommend having a look at Spinny Max or similar sites. I found a lot of good VFM used cars for Merc and BMW. For example, saw a 2019 Merc GLA 200 with a mileage of 7000 kms at a price of INR 29.5 Lakhs. While this is an outlier saw a good chunk of similar cars in the 30 - 40L price bracket. If you are particular on the badging, I believe this is the best option. New cars in these price brackets are significantly over-priced.
ulag62442 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 18:30   #140
BHPian

I would recommend the Q3 over these fellow Bavarians.

This segment used to be interesting with the previous gen X1 and Q3. The GLA never interested me at any point for its poor space and below par engine - gearbox combo.

I drove one of my friend's Q3 40 TFSI and came out impressed.
The 2 liter petrol sounds refined, responsive and the gearbox was quick to respond to any minimal throttle input to match up with excellent ride and handling. It's efficient too and looks better than ever before with interiors on par with its rivals. Last but not the least , Quattro is standard across variants.

Audi seems to picking up the ante to come back strongly in to the Indian market and the Q3 might be a small footstep to it.

Last edited by pradheepsr : 21st April 2023 at 18:32.
pradheepsr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 07:30   #141
Senior - BHPian

As some one who's looking to upgrade from a 2017 X1 the new X1 has put me in a dilemma

Compared to my current X1 the facelift feels a lot more premium and refined compared to the old one with all the bells and whistles (especially improved seats) but I am not sure if the engine will get annoying on highways

One thing I noticed is the indicator action felt a bit cheap compared to the silent one in previous X1

While having ferry around family members who would appreciate the added space and features than a high power engine would it make sense or are there any other options ?
bottle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 11:25   #142

I would certainly recommend you to have a look at the new Q3 or Q3 Sportback.

After reading your post I am sure you will fall in love with this car.
chims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 12:51   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel this forum is being a bit too dismissive of the new X1, only because it has less powerful engines. The new X1 is one among the three finalists across all categories, for the 2023 Global Car of the Year award, the Hyundai Ioniq6 finally won by .

The car looks stunning (looks very much like a smaller X5), feature-rich, is very well engineered and spacious. idrive 8 is one the most advanced and user friendly infotainment OS out there today. Auto reviewers globally are very complimentary of its improved ride and suspension.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/03/09/2...%20the%20crown.

Granted, the engines are less powerful than rivals, however if your use case is predominantly in the urban jungle for commutes and evenings out, I don't feel anyone would notice the deficit in power. Out on the highways, it will move faster than 95% of the cars out there and I don't see any difficulties in overtaking or other highway maneuvers.

All that BMW needs to do now is to introduce the 23i and 20d variants and I can see this car becoming a massive hit. Maybe even a 28i?
84.monsoon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2023, 01:51   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chims View Post
I would certainly recommend you to have a look at the new Q3 or Q3 Sportback.

After reading your post I am sure you will fall in love with this car.
I test drove it today, the Q3. And you are correct, I actually liked that 2 litre turbo petrol, it's a sheer beauty. It's exactly what I was looking for. I'm now even more intrigued about the Kodiaq and will also soon take it for a spin.
SPB_drives is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 23:45   #145
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know if X1 is bs6 rde compliant?
Old 25th April 2023, 01:33   #146
BHPian

It is complaint with BS6 RDE. All Vehicles manufactured after 1st April 2023 should be mandatorily complaint. So, some of the manufacturers have already upgraded and selling from February 2023 itself.
Old 25th April 2023, 07:40   #147
BHPian

Go for the Bear - Skoda Kodiaq

I was in this same dilemma about 7-8 months back - whether to go for a badge/logo with a 5 seater restriction OR to get better comfort, more petrol power, driveability, more space, top of the line fully loaded vehicle and a better looker than the X1. After a test drive of all the three logos and the 7 seater options of fortuner, gloster, etc i took a leap of faith on Skoda & decided to book the top end L&K variant Skoda Kodiaq which is a fully loaded vehicle and a value for money luxury vehicle. As many members felt too, the 3 logos didn't entice me to pay 10-15 lakhs more just to get the logos and get lower space & functionality. I recently got the delivery of the Kodiaq and am enjoying the DCC glide.
kurups is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 08:19   #148
BHPian

Well, I saw a woman drive one yesterday in the lovely blue colour, and I think it’ll be a hit with such audience, the young working mum, running errands or to the school, I agree it looks a bit Korean but it has some good presence, it’s deceptively big (in a good way), I think with discounts or a price correction will sell very well, I drove the previous gen X1 in Islamabad Pakistan in 2019 in the 18i version and it felt totally good in the city atleast, so it is good they’ve removed the 18 badges, it’s just half a million too expensive ��

Last edited by np23 : 25th April 2023 at 08:46.
np23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 14:29   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurups View Post
Go for the Bear - Skoda Kodiaq

I was in this same dilemma about 7-8 months back - whether to go for a badge/logo with a 5 seater restriction OR to get better comfort, more petrol power, driveability, more space, top of the line fully loaded vehicle and a better looker than the X1.
However, one must remember that the current Kodiaq is near the end of its generation and the next gen Kodiaq will come in 2024 with new kit such as PHEV and mild hybrid tech. Skoda depends on kits made abroad for CKD assembly in India, so when a generation change happens, the new one alos arrives in India pretty quickly as the old kits go out of stock globally.

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/02/20...or-first-time/
Old 25th April 2023, 17:24   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Skoda depends on kits made abroad for CKD assembly in India, so when a generation change happens, the new one alos arrives in India pretty quickly as the old kits go out of stock globally.
Yes aware of the PHEV & their Vision 7S electric concept. My comments on the Kodiaq are for those who plans to buy/own a vehicle now, like I was in need of one for use now , long drives, occasionally 6/7 people, along with family, sometimes accompanied by brother's family, kids, sometime parents, inlaws etc etc.

1) From an owning & servicing perspective of a Kodiaq, availability of parts should not be an issue as far as Skoda is concerned. With their 6 years extended warranty which they enhanced to Anytime Warranty too, covering your vehicle for 8 years from purchase, making parts available remains their responsibility and this gives owners an assurance of part availability for a good amount of years ahead. We have the oldest Rapids & Octavias even getting serviced now at Skoda Service centers. So till the company exists irrespective of Skoda/BMW, they will more or less take care of ur vehicle under warranty and that's irrespective of new vehicle launches.

2) About the generation shift of Kodiaq, yes this would be the last of the pure ICE ones and hence I wanted to munch that power & engine music before all of this becomes extinct for history books. The pure electric Kodiaqs are atleast 3 years away and PHEVs whenever they come are going to be atleast 6-7 lakhs higher on road is what I feel than the current top end Kodiaq. The Jan 2022 released Kodiaq has gone through two upward price revisions of Rs 1.5 lakhs each time till April 2023, basically increasing the Ex-showroom price by 3 lakhs in total if someone books now compared to Jan 2022 - that in a way shows the niche demand for this vehicle, whereas we see Meridian reducing price for people to buy. And the PHEV Kodiaqs whenever it comes will demand much more money - the money they take upfront for saving your fuel costs during runtime. So an upcoming PHEV Kodiaq should be chosen over the current 2023 Kodiaq (which can easily last till 2030) will have to be taken only if someone is ready to wait & pay more and do not require a vehicle now for the next one year or so and can wait for the hybrid announcements.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks