Team-BHP - Car number plates.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Car number plates. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/2603-car-number-plates.html)

ok so i noticed this today for 3rd time today. 2 cars with the exact same number plate no diff. wht so ever. (eg : MH-02-LA-99). how do 2 diffrent cars have the same no. i have heard its possible but how. my friends ikon and other lancer i see in andheri have the same no. today i saw a new qualis and a on sale in andheri palio with the same no. as well. then in town i saw an E240 (2nd model) and new honda accord with same no. as well. both the last cars belong to the same guy though. so how does this thing work then.lets say i have 2 lancers diff colours but same no. allowed ? ? ?

Over a year ago, the cops impounded an S -class as the owner decided to avoid paying road tax by letting the car run on the same plate as one of his exisiting Mercs - imagine spening 50+ lakhs and trying to save 3 lakhs this way ! Cops were tipped off by the dealer and waited till the car came for a service

its not legally allowed.

I too have seen many cars havin the same regn numbers. Cars which have regn XYZ have ABC the next day. Have solid proof too.

Let me tell you about this shocking incident that took place with one of my friends.

On my advice, she opted for a White Ford Ikon in Jan 2004 and took the delivery from Shaman Ford. Somewhere around April, her husband was driving to town early in the morning and sees this White Ford Ikon at Worli Naka with the SAME NUMBER PLATE as his wife's. He calls her to make sure that the car is still at home, and she confirms it.

The husband is a hothead. He storms down to Shaman Motors, catches his sales person and manager by the collar and takes them to the nearest police station. Both of them confessed that there was some road show going on which required 5 Ford Ikons, and they purposely used the numbers of their suburban customers since the road show was going on in another part of town.

Now imagine if this duplicate white Ford Ikon had to knock over a person and run away. Who do you think would have gotten arrested?

GTO

Jhol by the dealer himself. First time i've come across such a thing.

Were the dupicate cars were out of MH regn??

chalk one more up for the "only happens in India" saying!

People get away with this because none of our RTO's are computerised. Once your car is registered, the papers are put in a huge file and left to rot somewhere in a backroom!

The number plates themselves are not standardised, allowing anybody to make their own plate of any size and any font they want!

tech

V12,

The car was a MH, and a Bombay registration at that.

Rtech, you hit the nail on the head. A small town like Nasik has a fully computerised RTO but the Bombay cops are still stuck in the pen and paper age.

GTO

but how come all bullet proof cars and vip cars have same nos???

like ur ex cm had all cars of same no ap 28m 393, and out current cm has 2345

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (v12 @ June 12 2004,11:23)]Jhol by the dealer himself. First time i've come across such a thing.

Were the dupicate cars were out of MH regn??

lemme give u the series i have seen in exact.

MH-02-KA-XXX
MH-01-CA-XXX
MH-02-PA-XXX

i do know the nos. of them duno if i shud out them out. also 02-PA is the current reg. out for this month damn. yday mornin a saw one palio for sale and other same day qualis driven by some guy both new cars i gues. im guessing the palio is a big time jhol since its a EL model with bumper painted and all

it happens jesal, it happens. i had seen a braned new Toyota MR-S some years back havin a MH-01-R regn. That happens to be 95 regn and the MR-S wasnt out in 94. Have seen a Nissan March and a Honda Odyssey sharin the same regn. They had a regn of a year when they[that particular model] werent even manufactured. And now both of them have diff regn.

This kinda stuff happens quite often in India....once two private buses with same No. plates were caught at a state border check post!

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (ajmat @ June 12 2004,10:13)]Over a year ago, the cops impounded an S -class as the owner decided to avoid paying road tax by letting the car run on the same plate as one of his exisiting Mercs - imagine spening 50+ lakhs and trying to save 3 lakhs this way ! Cops were tipped off by the dealer and waited till the car came for a service

Ajmat,
Make that saving about 10 L

i want all my cars done same no now lol

Welcome to the world of JHOL HI JHOL

... .. I haven't come accross.... something like this in Delhi.
The RTOs are computerised... and there is a ... website where u can check for the registered owner of the car before buying.

but that doesn't mean... RTOs .. work like multinational corporates, they are still the same govt. offices!!