Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2022, 20:30   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
.[*]M&M has updated the currently traverse-mounted 1.5L 4-cylinder Diesel to be longitudinal for the Thar.
So, it is the 1.5l 4 cylinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
THAR 2WD! Blasphemous in my opinion!
Not blasphemous, but at the same time have mixed feelings too. I was expecting a workhorse version. This looks exactly like the full blown Thar with just the 4x4 removed. Everything else remains the same, including option of automatic (which I am surprised). So this will be perfect for city usage. If it was workhorse would have defended, but in this case. Yes. You are right. They are diluting.

At the same time, someone like my dad will find it interesting. He would be happy with the RWD layout and the no nonsense nature. Add to that automatic too. And a 4 cylinder, not the mediocre 3 pot on Bolero/Neo. And one can't argue with the benefits of a sub 1.5l engine, tax wise and insurance costs over the years. At the same time, if it is just a difference of 1-1.5 lakhs OTR pricing, then no thanks. Better off with a full blown Thar.

Mahindra Thar 2WD, now launched at Rs. 9.99 lakhs-screenshot_20221223203244.png

17+ km/l ARAI, small car taxes/insurance, compact nature, rugged underpinnings, pricing at par with a Sonet D A/T Doesn't look bad.

Screenshot from the above video.

Edit: Looks like automatic is confirmed for the petrol. Not so for the diesel. Not sure as they the booklet doesn't directly refer to a diesel automatic, which is expected since they haven't been able to give the 1.5l a proper automatic other than the AMT in the XUV300.

Last edited by DicKy : 23rd December 2022 at 20:35.
DicKy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 20:54   #62
Senior - BHPian

Well, here's one more feature from the 2WD not-Thar -

Name:  IMG_20221223_205202.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  195.7 KB

Motorized ORVMS, so looks like the doors won't be removable.

Will this come with a security alarm, I wonder...
ph03n!x is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 22:10   #63
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop! New base variant of the Mahindra Thar in the works, with 1.5L engine

News article in India Today claims a 2WD variant of Thar is coming in Jan 2023?

Link

Being a sub4m car, it can take advantage of lower taxes and an attractive sub10L entry level price. Purists won’t like it but a lot of people will love it for the styling and ofcourse RWD. However looking at current wait times, I wonder Mahindra will do this at all

Edit: Even Rushlane reports about the 1.5L Thar being spied.
Link

Mahindra Thar 2WD, now launched at Rs. 9.99 lakhs-adff57f6072f4810af5d5a2f301d2a8e.jpeg

Mahindra Thar 2WD, now launched at Rs. 9.99 lakhs-6f5eafee980e456b86e456b90f4b99b4.jpeg

Last edited by SoumenD : 23rd December 2022 at 22:35.
SoumenD is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 22:31   #64
udy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Well, here's one more feature from the 2WD not-Thar -

Motorized ORVMS, so looks like the doors won't be removable.

Will this come with a security alarm, I wonder...
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the current Thars already have this function? I thought this was standard on all the LX variants.
udy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 23:12   #65
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by udy View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the current Thars already have this function? I thought this was standard on all the LX variants.
Yes this feature already exists on all LX Thars.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 09:51   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yes this feature already exists on all LX Thars.
By the way some people have also upgraded with aftermarket auto folding mirrors.
Old 24th December 2022, 10:05   #67
Senior - BHPian

Thar 1.5L can follow a pricing similar to XUV300. Very detailed scoop by the youtuber. For a city dweller, Thar 1.5 AMT is just perfect.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 10:15   #68
BHPian

Re: Mahindra confirms XUV700; to be positioned above XUV500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Had the same thought process too. The 1.5l felt too close to the Ssangyong 1.6l and Mahindra's family of new petrol and diesel engines looked suspiciously similar to many of Ssangyong's engines. But try as I might couldn't find anything as to say Mahindra took the engine tech from Ssangyong. True, Mahindra might have taken some know-how from Ssangyong for the new family of engines.
The latest engines and platforms used in Mahindra cars are all jointly developed with Ssangyong. The technology used in NewGen cars is derived from this JV. The entire Petrol, Diesel and electric line was co-developed. As a previous owner, they have complete access to the tech owned by Ssangyong.

Infact the X100 electric car on the new MESMA 350 platform shown by Ssangyong is a byproduct of the JV.

Mahindra Ssangyong ties deepen for new engine platforms and electric cars

Last edited by DRPSREDDY : 24th December 2022 at 10:18.
DRPSREDDY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 10:32   #69
Senior - BHPian

Plus removal of the 4x4 transmission, much smaller engine, will mean that the cheaper 1.5 Thar will be lighter than the regular version. What's the point in lugging all that mechanical gear for many city dwelling Thar buyers who'll rarely venture off road. This rumoured base version will be both, much cheaper to buy and run.
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 10:45   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

At the risk of being flamed, I think it's a great strategic move by Mahindra. In one move, it brings the Thar under the reduced excise rules making it cheaper + presumably far more fuel efficient due to the smaller engine displacement / lighter RWD layout and adds some serious competition to the Jimny.

My take is that the purists will sneer, diss this variant and continue buying loads of 4WD, but the RWD will sell for the urban posers and/or those who will never intend to take the Thar even remotely offroad.

In BLR at least, I've seen so many Thars queue up with my 3 to avoid a tiny patch of waterlogging. It's more a lifestyle statement for many people.
itwasntme is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 11:15   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

My take is that the purists will sneer, diss this variant and continue buying loads of 4WD, but the RWD will sell for the urban posers and/or those who will never intend to take the Thar even remotely offroad.
+1 to this, for most owners, who use their thar only for urban commute 4*4 equipment is just extra weight and waste of fuel and resources. Yes it does dilute the brand, but hey, even the Fortuner has 4*2 variants.
giri1.8 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 11:19   #72
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra Thar 2WD, now launched at Rs. 9.99 lakhs

Mahindra Thar 2WD coming in 2023; Interior spied - Posts moved to a new thread.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th December 2022 at 11:25.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 11:41   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

They could brand this one differently from the Thar (say Sahara) and provide side facing rear seats. This way, they will not affect the NCAP rating of the Thar and yet find a good market in rural areas where people carrying capacity is important. It may also find takers among tourist safari operators. However the 1.5 diesel engine was seen as underpowered even in the Marazzo, not sure how it will respond in probably what will be an even heavier vehicle.

I think it may also be interesting to plonk the 1.2 mStallion Petrol as an option for this one. That may be more peppy and would also be eligible for lower taxation.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 24th December 2022 at 11:45.
84.monsoon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 12:24   #74
BHPian

Though I don't think that it is "blasphemous" to have a 2WD Thar, I think they should have differentiated it visually from the 4WD, at least a bit. For the ScorpioN, the difference in the 4WD and 2WD models is a whopping 4 lacs. Since the Thar has manual 4WD, the difference should be lower. Let's hope there will be a significant difference since the engine is also different.

With the 4WD mechanism and transfer case removed and the smaller engine, overall weight as well as the weight on the front axle will be less, which could mean a better ride quality, provided the suspension is updated.

Since the manual page from the video mentions a wet clutch for the AT, we can assume that the Automatic versions will have the Aisin TC and not the AMT. Hopefully, this pairing will filter down to the XUV300 in the future, as that car really deserves a good AT.

While the 1.5L diesel from the Marazzo/XUV is a powerful engine, it has a nasty habit of stalling in traffic due to lack of LET. It is worse in the Marazzo than the lighter XUV300. Hopefully, Mahindra will sort it out and retune the engine, or adjust the ratios for the manual 1.5 Thar. In the AT, the torque converter should take care of the issue.

With the lower weight, the Thar Petrol 2WD should be even more fun to drive. Hopefully, the lower weight and resistance should contribute to better FE as well.
vivekgk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 13:13   #75
BHPian

This is great news. A simple, good looking, economic, safe & fuel efficient vehicle for people who drive around regularly in on rough roads. I guess the 16 inch wheels would be normal steel and not alloys. I hope Mahindra doesn’t compromise on safety in this variant too- Jimny is expected to be bad there.

I am one potential customer for sure if it’s priced well with all safety ratings intact

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 24th December 2022 at 13:17.
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks