View Poll Results: Your choice?
Chevy Magnum 216 73.72%
Skoda Octavia 77 26.28%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2007, 11:44   #61
HSV
BHPian

Frankly I'd pick the Magnum too, considering its a better performing vehicle for much less.

However having said that, I hope Chevy introduces an A/T variant for Magnum too - as there still isnt a competitor for the Skoda TDi A/T till date. And last but not the least can we have the same ICE and sunroof as an option (atleast) along with the A/T (like they have it in the 1.8 Petrol LT)...

EDIT: Oh lest I forget... the auto climate control too... (in the same package)!

Last edited by HSV : 11th July 2007 at 11:46.
Old 11th July 2007, 13:01   #62
BHPian

u forgot traction control,EBD,light sensitive headlamps,rain sensitive wipers,parking sensors,tyre pressure monitors etc
Old 11th July 2007, 13:04   #63
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
u forgot traction control,EBD,light sensitive headlamps,rain sensitive wipers,parking sensors,tyre pressure monitors etc

Ummmm... Nope! Those I can do without!
Old 11th July 2007, 13:14   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All these goodies are out...and money sensitive driver is in....
Old 11th July 2007, 13:14   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Well you write it wrong, the Skoda service bills are on par with the mercs i guess slightly less but still quite expensive for the segment, a Camry is cheaper to maintain then a S(k)oda
Busa. Please do not post rubbish. I suggest you take a look at the service costs of a C class and compare them with those of an Octavia and then come back here to post. Until then, stick with real facts.
Old 11th July 2007, 13:55   #66
BHPian

c class =30000
octy=15000
am i right
Old 11th July 2007, 14:15   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
c class =30000
octy=15000
am i right
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Busa. Please do not post rubbish. I suggest you take a look at the service costs of a C class and compare them with those of an Octavia and then come back here to post. Until then, stick with real facts.
Compare them in what sense?

You should compare their sticker prices and brand value first and then you compare the service costs.

If the figures provided by dockap is correct (I dont think so), then you can't call what Busa is saying rubbish;
What are the prices? CDI 27.40L and Octie AT 13.44L? And everyone knows the image of a skoda and that of a merc.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 11th July 2007 at 14:17.
Old 11th July 2007, 14:33   #68
Team-BHP Support

This is what I find amusing. We are talking facts here. The costs of a service. Where does brand image come into play!

I do a full service on my car for less than Rs.7,000/-. Just completed it on the 7th this month. Mr. Monkey here just got his service done at a Skoda dealership for Rs.4000 (yes, he did get a discount - no labour cost). This is from Skoda owners, and not hearsay. Also remember, this includes Rs.3,000 for 100% synthetic oil. Is that anywhere close to the Rs.15,000 figures mentioned above or "comments like costs as much as a Mercedes to service"?

Ironically, GM has been battling this sort of hearsay for years now and are only slowly getting through. Baseless numbers thrown around don't help anyone. We should try and get the real picture across as a responsible forum.

Edit: We are going way OT here. There are other threads that deal with that. Suggest we let the thread go back on its course i.e. Magnum vs Octavia Tdi.

Further discussion on this subject can be continued here.

Last edited by Rtech : 11th July 2007 at 15:38.
Old 11th July 2007, 15:29   #69
Senior - BHPian

Mod note: Busa, please follow the link provided in my thread above & continue the discussion there. Do not go off topic here.

Last edited by Rtech : 11th July 2007 at 15:39.
Old 11th July 2007, 16:58   #70
Senior - BHPian

The Octavia is Definitely a Very Strong car!! just that its now a lil old, they cleverly rebadged the new octavia[internationally] the Laura here, and jacked up the price!! this should have been avoided.
And Skoda service is NOT too expensive and nowhere close to merc service costs!!
Just that the magnum has a newer gen engine! thats it, its basically a Daewoo avatar deisgned in italy. the skoda is a thoroughbred german golf chasis.
Please correct me mods, if I'm wrong!!
Old 11th July 2007, 17:18   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Mod note: Busa, please follow the link provided in my thread above & continue the discussion there. Do not go off topic here.
I dont understand the point here of the mods. The thing i posted is not at all off topic, i just posted the service costs of the Optra & Octavia, which by no means seem to be off topic over here, it is something which should be in this thread and if mods seem so intrested in deleting posts then i am outta here.
Old 11th July 2007, 17:39   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

I am a big time skoda fan and surprisingly enough, i still dont find the skoda shape outdated, it still looks great and can give stiff competition to the experimental shapes tried out by most manafacturers. Also, the magnum front looks quite odd ( should i say meek looking !!! ) and i liked the old optra shape/front.

Therefore, its a skoda for me any day
Old 11th July 2007, 18:15   #73
BHPian

well i like the new front of the optra the old 1 was outdated
anyway they say beauty lies in the eye of the beholder (at midnight all women are fair )
Old 11th July 2007, 18:18   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
anyway they say beauty lies in the eye of the beholder (at midnight all women are fair )
You got that wrong. It's beauty lies in the eye of the beerholder!
Old 11th July 2007, 18:50   #75
BHPian

I vote for the Octy as I drive a RS and love it. The Octy's taut suspension, handling and solid build would be difficult to beat. There are several posts that suggest that the Octy is more driveable in congested city traffic than the Magnum.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks