Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Chevy Magnum 216 73.72%
Skoda Octavia 77 26.28%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2007, 21:16   #16
BHPian

After been driving for 4 weeks now, If its driving in city then i would be confused which to choose. My 70% of driving in city is in 2nd gear which is not with other diesel cars i own. Also i hate it when i need to put the car in first gear in turnings otherwise it gets very difficult to take off after the turn in higher gears. After 30km/hr its delight to drive.
Old 7th July 2007, 21:53   #17
BHPian

i think it would be optra for me .....why pay 2lakhs more when you are getting the same product ....plus you have the gm service network
Old 7th July 2007, 22:35   #18
Team-BHP Support

Optra any day. after driving both the car's I can comfortably say the Optry has the octy creamed. That torque wave is addictive.

The ride had me floored, handling was good and predictable not exactly fun.

VFM wise optra any day. The turbo lag is the only drawback compared to the octy. If they can work on that and sort out that issue then the car would be perfect.
Old 7th July 2007, 22:46   #19
BHPian

The Skoda is one stunner. I love the solid looks of that car and I always dream of owning one. Also I dont like the looks of the magnum. The old nose suited it so very well. But, when it comes to making a choice, I think the engine of the magnum is miles ahead of the skoda and thats where the magnum takes away my vote. That torque just makes me go ooooooooooo.....
Old 7th July 2007, 23:01   #20
BHPian

I can forgive the front end.
I can forgive the less than road hugging ride quality.
I can forgive the smaller boot in comparison to the Octy.
I can forgive the less than perfect build quality.
But the fact that they have put in the lower spec version of the same engine with its attendant turbo lag is unforgivable.
If not for this oversight the Magnum would have been in my drive way by now.
Guess I will have to be content with my GTX a while longer till I can persuade the GM people to put in the VGT in the Magnum. There are 5 of us in my hospital who are waiting patiently for the 150PS version of the same engine in the Magnum.

Read and drool on the specification of the same engine in the Captiva.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006...let_europ.html
Chevrolet's New SUV at Straight Frm The Heart
Daewoo-made Chevrolet Captiva SUV - car magazine, auto reviews at motiontrends.com
Holden Captiva - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chevrolet Captiva SUV -official
Old 7th July 2007, 23:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Love the magnum. Even the name is sexy.
Old 8th July 2007, 01:07   #22
BHPian

Will be great if the magnum gives competition to the optra. Who knows we might start getting good discounts on the skoda. However still skeptical as chevrolet has yet to give us "the" car.
Old 8th July 2007, 01:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Anyday the Magnum, the equipment, price and the engine specs are better then the Octy.

Imagine what will a Pete's tuning box do to the car, totally insane.

I also hate the new look of the Optra but once i saw it on the road i changed my decision, it does look good, i have the NY edition though.

Drpull.. to get 150ps from same capacity engine GM will be using a bigger TC = more Turbo lag, why dont you take the test drive and see for your self or add a Petes tunning box = 150bhp or so.
Old 8th July 2007, 02:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

I hate them both. I would much rather have a nice, high-revving, powerful petrol engined car
Old 8th July 2007, 02:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I hate them both. I would much rather have a nice, high-revving, powerful petrol engined car
I agree that a diesel care cannot compete with a petrol car..but now day we are seeing good diesel cars on the road. like out swift diesel I like its turbo power when it comes in action.
Old 8th July 2007, 02:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Some people like the Diesel powerband (low-revving) focusing on the bucketloads of Torque, whereas I prefer a High-Revving Petrol engine powerband.

Individual preferences.
Old 8th July 2007, 10:53   #27
BHPian

It is the Magnum any day for me. Took a test drive yesterday and the stability of Optra with the addictive torque makes a irresistable combination. And it is more value for money.

The new front (without the front chrome lip which is only in the topend model) look good in real. Only if they had ABS and Airbags as an option atleast in the LS model.
Old 8th July 2007, 11:46   #28
BHPian

I test drove the Magnum and was stunned, it has immense power and torque, real gem of an engine and i read somewhere that GM has used the GM Captivas engine in the Magnum, its years ahead in technology as compared to the Skodas.

Cheers
Ritesh
Old 8th July 2007, 12:32   #29
BHPian

121 bhp,0 to 100=9.8 secs =lower spec engine u must be kidding are u thinking of driving on indian roads or on an F1 track(the captiva is bigger and heavier than optra so it needs 150bhp think before u post drpullockaran)
The base octy does not have climate control if u are comapring the top end octy which has 1 with magnum top end then price diff is 4 lakhs
I dont have a octy but do have a laura and comaped to my magnum i find the magnum much more comfortable and a pleasure to drive even on the worst roads in mangalore u dont feel anything i think its the best suspension for a diesel car now in india)
Also love to see the fiestas dissappear in the rear view mirror when i floor the acc
Its been almost a month since i got my magnum and I LOVE IT,i feel its the best buy in the 9 to 16 lakh bracket
Each person has his own tastes so finally its ur choice but my opinion if u have a octy fine not worth changing to magnum but if u are buying a new car and choose a octy over a magnum-ITS UR LOSS
Old 8th July 2007, 12:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
i would also rather own a Petrol to diesel due the to the factors:
1. Petrols Easy to maintain
2. Too much fuzz about which diesel to use in diesel cars
3. Diesels Do start giving problems if used rough (from personal experience) until and unless its GODDY SAFARI coz that is meant to be used rough
4. Engine parts are costly.
5. Diesel engine Turbo has water phobia

And why would i go for a diesel car:
1. Rs 31 /ltr and if my running is around 100+ km a day which is currently no more than 50 KM but exceptions are always there hehe.

I am still trying to convince my dad not to go for a diesel car but he wont listen someone help me please..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks