Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Chevy Magnum 216 73.72%
Skoda Octavia 77 26.28%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2007, 13:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

Like RT, I am waiting for a TD of the Magnum to make a decision. Right now I have set 50-50 for both cars. After the TD - I will come to a decision.
Old 8th July 2007, 13:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am still trying to convince my dad not to go for a diesel car but he wont listen someone help me please..
No need to convince him, after driving Octavia 1.9TDi i still was anti diesel, till i drove the Verna, Fiesta and the Swift D, in terms of petrol costs the Swift goes 23.5kms. Even on hard driving it returns 15kmpl and since petrol costs around Rs. 15 more, diesel is cheaper and the mind blowing torque, never feel the need to go above 3000RPM. Who needs a petrol now?
Old 8th July 2007, 13:18   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

I would love to see what the Petrified Box will do on this car. Hopefully, it wont increase the torque by too much. If not, that car might start having bolts falling down.
Old 8th July 2007, 13:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

Mclaren my estimates for the box for the Optra is 150bhp and 35KGM, i am sure it can handle all that with ease.
Old 8th July 2007, 13:35   #35
Team-BHP Support

Haven't driven the car as yet. But in Bangalore I would go for Optra. Not because of the car only but also for lousy Skoda (TAFE) service.
Old 8th July 2007, 13:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
121 bhp,0 to 100=9.8 secs =lower spec engine u must be kidding are u thinking of driving on indian roads or on an F1 track(the captiva is bigger and heavier than optra so it needs 150bhp think before u post drpullockaran)
The base octy does not have climate control if u are comapring the top end octy which has 1 with magnum top end then price diff is 4 lakhs
I dont have a octy but do have a laura and comaped to my magnum i find the magnum much more comfortable and a pleasure to drive even on the worst roads in mangalore u dont feel anything i think its the best suspension for a diesel car now in india)
Also love to see the fiestas dissappear in the rear view mirror when i floor the acc
Its been almost a month since i got my magnum and I LOVE IT,i feel its the best buy in the 9 to 16 lakh bracket
Each person has his own tastes so finally its ur choice but my opinion if u have a octy fine not worth changing to magnum but if u are buying a new car and choose a octy over a magnum-ITS UR LOSS
I prefer Chevy, esp after reading this review, where the member owns both.
But I am not sure of Rodeo's views---which car is he talking about? I also read in Auto India that the diesel Chevy lacks low-end grunt, which is very much needed for city driving.
Regardless of it's drawbacks, I would prefer the Chevy mainly because of the huge price advantage, and due to rear seat space and leg room.
Why would I spend 12 lacs on an Octy, when leg room at the rear has been compromised for a bigger boot?
Old 8th July 2007, 16:08   #37

just booked an optra so would vote for optra by default . only octy i have driven is RS and haven driven optra magnum or octy diesel so hardly know but for the price magnum has a definate edge
Old 8th July 2007, 16:21   #38
Senior - BHPian

If you are in bangalore, stay away from Octy... simply cos of $hitty service. TAFE is absolutely pathetic. Not that the car is any better than the magnum either. Yes its more driveable in the city but other than that and build quality, there's nothing the octy offers over the magnum.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 8th July 2007 at 16:22.
Old 8th July 2007, 16:59   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
i would also rather own a Petrol to diesel due the to the factors:
1. Petrols Easy to maintain- HOW so please explain
2. Too much fuzz about which diesel to use in diesel cars-i think there are choices for petrol 2 like speed,power?
3. Diesels Do start giving problems if used rough (from personal experience) until and unless its GODDY SAFARI coz that is meant to be used rough- have had a scorpio for nearly 4 years and i dint spend anything extra on maintainence other than routune servicing also it was used on very rough roads and no problem(in fact i think its the safari which has maintainence problems)
4. Engine parts are costly.- which parts
5. Diesel engine Turbo has water phobia -petrol engine is going to work underwater?(i think except for nuclear powered subs all the others are powered by disel engines)

And why would i go for a diesel car:
1. Rs 31 /ltr and if my running is around 100+ km a day which is currently no more than 50 KM but exceptions are always there hehe.
If u compare the same car with petrol and diesel engine (eg indica petrol and diesel) the disel engined car gives u almost 2times the FE compared to the petrol version
I am still trying to convince my dad not to go for a diesel car but he wont listen someone help me please..
Dont think u need help ur dad has made the right choice
Old 8th July 2007, 22:02   #40
Senior - BHPian

My vote is for Magnum simply of its space and power...Skoda looks old. They seriously need to re-design the exteriors.
Old 8th July 2007, 22:06   #41
BHPian

Any idea about sales figures of Magnum and Octy in june??
Old 8th July 2007, 22:17   #42
Senior - BHPian

I hadnt voted in this thread since I was waiting to drive the Magnum. Now I have. My vote goes to the Magnum. The car is really fun to drive and the torque is addictive. Noticed slight lag but that it ok. The car really shoots of the line once you floor the pedal. But I didnt not like the front looks ala SRV. I would have preffered the existing look. Its priced well too. The on road price for the LT is lower than the Octavia Rider.
Old 8th July 2007, 22:21   #43
BHPian

Magnum has much better in gear acceleration compared to octavia. And magnum parts are also very cheap when compared to octavia.
Old 8th July 2007, 22:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

Well Skoda has responded. A few adverts in the newspaper come saying "If you think maintaining a Skoda is costly think again" Octavia now with free services or something, 3 years service holiday or so, dont know how far its true.
Old 9th July 2007, 00:09   #45
BHPian

Optra magnum seems to be a better choice becuase of the gr8 performance, very good ride quality and VFM but somehow dont like the looks this is where Octavia wins.......

Most Viewed