Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2009, 15:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
Heres what i would do:
Phase I: buy a second hand MM540 with working 4WD. I saw one last week in decent condition for just 45k! plonk in a Bolero type CRDe engine. Even the 72Bhp DI engine should be decent.

Phase II: Do up the interiors to "look" like the CL: jazzy seats, bullbars,paintjob etc.

A trained eye will ofcourse spot the difference but should be good enuff for more than just mall-bashing.
The Classic is a SWB unlike the 540. It would be evident its not a Classic on first look.
Old 31st December 2009, 16:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I saw one last week in decent condition for just 45k! plonk in a Bolero type CRDe engine.
Cougar, 45K is a good price for a working 540 compared to all those mayapuri ones. This is a more realistic price.
Old 31st December 2009, 16:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heres what i would do:
Phase I: buy a second hand MM540 with working 4WD. I saw one last week in decent condition for just 45k! plonk in a Bolero type CRDe engine. Even the 72Bhp DI engine should be decent.

Phase II: Do up the interiors to "look" like the CL: jazzy seats, bullbars,paintjob etc.

A trained eye will ofcourse spot the difference but should be good enuff for more than just mall-bashing.
I'm not sure whether the Bolero CRDe engine will mate with the existent GB and tRansfer case due to a totally different torque and power curve. The 72 BHP XD3P would be a better bet.
Old 31st December 2009, 22:18   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
The Classic is a SWB unlike the 540. It would be evident its not a Classic on first look.
yeah i am aware of that. but thats what i said, a trained eye will catch the difference.

But most regular non-jeepers cant tell the diff: there are so many 540's in CL skin running around rural areas of Pune!
Old 31st December 2009, 23:39   #20
BHPian

OT Is Mahindra going to launch their THAR any time soon?
it was supposed to be a MM540 SWB
Old 1st January 2010, 10:01   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
OT Is Mahindra going to launch their THAR any time soon?
it was supposed to be a MM540 SWB
really? I thought the Thar was to be a Scorpio frame and mechanicals with a MM540 top. Or is that another project in the MM pipeline?
Old 27th June 2011, 15:19   #22

Re: Mahindra Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Vin,

These checks are most important when you are picking up a Classic. I take it that reliability is key since you will be away from any service stations.

1. Get the engine compression checked to see how strong the engine is.

2. The Electricals. Very important even though the circuitry is very very simple. O.E. wiring is a must and not too many alterations should be present.

3. Drive a couple of Jeeps. It will help you to gauge between well-maintained and poorly kept vehicles.

4. Rust : The number 1 enemy for older Mahindras. The bonnet line, fenders, front face and interior flooring are most prone to rust. The radiator also has a not-so-long life.

5. Overheating : Go for a long drive (atleast 50 kms round trip). Overheating issues in the Classic are not that easy to settle. Also make sure that the vehicle is able to start after a long drive.

Feel free to ask me anything specific to a Jeep you may have checked out

GTO
Hi GTO,
Had sent a mail to your email id a week ago since i wasn't a member of T-bhp then...could u check that please? I was hoping for a feedback as i am goin to buy that classic...thanks a lot!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks