Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2023, 17:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW launches G70 7-Series in India @ 1.7 crore

Looks wise the Beemers seem to be going from the Good to the Bad and now plain Ugly! Looks like BMW's nowadays are the ugliest of the Big 3 German cars! How can one of the greatest German marques stoop down to such ugliness? Acquired taste now has a new meaning!! This looks like one of those After market DC conversions!!
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 21:19   #17
BHPian

Like many pointed, it is a HIGHLY polarizing design.

And I fall in the camp which finds it UGLY. The front is overly aggressive/unpleasant and back is plain ugly.

As a flagship sedan, I think what it lacks completely is elegance and class, epitomized by S-class. Even a bland A8 shows more class and elegance. Again, a subjective opinion.
OffRoadFun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 11:54   #18
BANNED

No, doubt its the ugliest BMW ever unveiled. Not sure, if the designers have been smoking something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
With due respect to future owners & fans of the G70, if anyone showed me these images 2 years back, told me it's the new 7-Series and then shouted "gotcha, April Fool's joke", I would have believed he was joking. But it is really hard to accept a BMW so ugly. Even its fans will admit that the new design direction is extremely polarizing.

The erstwhile ugliest-7-till-the-G70-was-unveiled E65 looks more palatable. The G70 is pushing things a bit too much. But then, maybe BMW just wants to stand out from the S-Class / A8 / LS & gang. I read somewhere in a marketing article that if 50% of your potential customers absolutely love your product and 50% absolutely hate it, that's still good enough for your business (although I think it'll be more like 25% of lovers tops for the G70). The diehard fans will also be a defensive vocal lot. Lest we forget, unconventional & IMHO ugly styling sure didn't stop the 2nd-gen Creta from being a runaway success:
Attachment 2401343
Source & more images
It is an abomination. Even a 15 - 20 lacs Ciaz/Virtus/City looks very elegant compared to this abomination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbp View Post
No matter which way you try and put it.. Striking looks, acquired taste and so on; This is one ugly looking bmw! Period.

I wonder who decides the direction that the design language takes. They should probably do a soft launch and sound out the general feedback from potential customers rather than foist these abominations on to the unsuspecting populace.
I concur. They have spoiled the BMW moustache.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Looks wise the Beemers seem to be going from the Good to the Bad and now plain Ugly! Looks like BMW's nowadays are the ugliest of the Big 3 German cars! How can one of the greatest German marques stoop down to such ugliness? Acquired taste now has a new meaning!! This looks like one of those After market DC conversions!!
Old 4th September 2023, 07:34   #19
Team-BHP Support

A close known picked a day before and is mighty impressed. I will update you a few days after his initial euphoria has settled.

From my short experience with the car, this is entirely different from the earlier generation or even the current 740. As I have previously observed during an event of BMW, where one side of the trip was on 740 and returned via i7, suspension on the i7 is more like an S class (Maybach) level. The additional weight (600-700 difference), especially in the floor (batteries), explains this.

Every single thing oozes quality and is miles ahead of the S-class. Seats are soft and highly comfortable, with tons of controls. The kind of interior lighting has to be experienced; pictures do not do justice.

BMW launches G70 7-Series in India @ 1.7 crore-whatsapp-image-20230904-7.29.40-am.jpeg

And that Rear screen, finally, dealerships are delivering the cars after the 8,5 upgrade that takes care of the setup. I can't even imagine how the new Diamond system with 35+ speakers that will come standard on the cars from next month will sound. I won't be surprised if this beats S class or 740 sales by a margin.

BMW launches G70 7-Series in India @ 1.7 crore-whatsapp-image-20230903-9.55.57-pm.jpeg

Enjoy a short clip

Last edited by Turbanator : 4th September 2023 at 07:42.
Turbanator is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 09:36   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
A close known picked a day before and is mighty impressed. I will update you a few days after his initial euphoria has settled.

From my short experience with the car, this is entirely different from the earlier generation or even the current 740.
Do you mean to say that the i7 is superior to the G70 7 series? Is that diamond music system which was available on regular 7 series but not on i7, now being offered in the i7 as well? Good to hear your praise for Maybach like ride quality of the i7.
Old 12th September 2023, 09:55   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHyd View Post
Do you mean to say that the i7 is superior to the G70 7 series? Is that diamond music system which was available on regular 7 series but not on i7, now being offered in the i7 as well? Good to hear your praise for Maybach like ride quality of the i7.
The diamond music system is a new addition at costs for i7 and 740 (CKD now). There is an appreciable difference in ride quality of 740 vs i7. You can immediately notice how similar is 740 with the outgoing model, something to with weight? Haven’t compared with S class but will be interesting. i7, on the other hand, with that extra weight, is super nice to drive.

EVs, in general, and premium ones, in particular, add to overall comfort. You can cruise long distances with self-drive functionality ( usually spoilt by someone trying to squeeze in the gap). Watch a movie, take Team meetings, or take a quick nap with a massage on these comfortable seats.

The range is excellent, too. Real-world highway mileage at highway speeds is 450+, and with a lot of fast chargers, 50-60 Kw on highways, you never lose the charge below 50 as 150-200 is the limit these days one can do a non-stop travel unless someone is in a hurry.

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th September 2023 at 10:05.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 10:02   #22
BHPian

Did you have a ride in it with that big screen being put on? Think I read in the Autocar India review that some might tend to get nauseating feel by viewing such a big screen while moving.

But even more surprising was the next comment i.e. the rear-view mirror is not camera fed and this is an issue when that big screen is down, as it blocks the view of the rear glass. I was skeptical at first, but then other reviews abroad apparently confirm it (https://www.autotrader.ca/editorial/...ive-tv-screen/).

If this is correct, how in the world can they have missed it? Can't be that hard to provide a camera feed to it like the Range Rover does right?
Old 12th September 2023, 10:08   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
Did you have a ride in it with that big screen being put on?
Nope but someone who did never felt like that. Maybe depends on the content

Quote:
But even more surprising was the next comment i.e. the rear-view mirror is not camera fed and this is an issue when that big screen is down, as it blocks the view of the rear glass.
Yes, a glaring miss. This car is extra long and wide, pretty difficult to manage in the city and it looks as if everyone is trying to hut you, pretty scary to drive in traffic. Also, the rear blinds in this generation are super dark. You get nothing inside, they have a "Theatre mode" for a reason.

I was skeptical at first, but then other reviews abroad apparently confirm it (https://www.autotrader.ca/editorial/...ive-tv-screen/).

If this is correct, how in the world can they have missed it? Can't be that hard to provide a camera feed to it like the Range Rover does right?[/quote]
Old 11th December 2023, 14:50   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW has slyly discontinued the i7 m60 and replaced it with a lower output m50 for the same price for 1.95cr ex-showroom
Attached Thumbnails
BMW launches G70 7-Series in India @ 1.7 crore-whatsapp-image-20231209-11.29.04-am.jpeg  

Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed