Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2023, 17:23   #46
BHPian

Re: 2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look

It is good to see they have now removed the infamous internet inside badging. The rear end styling is now more in line with rest of the car design. Still, I am not a fan of such large Hector badging.
Old 10th January 2023, 18:11   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg_ad View Post
The only reason it doesn't sell well is the Chinese image.
Can you please elaborate on how did you come to that conclusion? If reliability is the only thing that a car buyer is looking for then Jeep wouldn't sell a single car. If the value for money is the only thing, then there wouldn't be a luxury car market. There are customers spending 30+ lakhs on a Jeep or 50+ lakhs on a Volvo, 40+ lakhs on a Citroen and 15+ lakhs on a Thar, all looking for different things in their car. Hector is a good product, but please don't generalize a statement on it.

For me personally, the facelifted car looks hideous (sorry, just my opinion). For this simple reason, I would never buy it, no matter how feature-loaded it is and how reliable it is. Because before sitting in it every time, I will be reminded that I don't like the look of it.

Last edited by GTO : 15th February 2024 at 10:20. Reason: Removing sensitive comment
shashankjain16 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 19:04   #48
Senior - BHPian

Seeing the pics, I am confused about the interiors. Is it going to be beige or tan? Btw I am interested in the car and plan to test drive the petrol automatic. Any info on how is the auto tranny tuned and the mileage in city?

Ideally for the money being asked, they should have provided conventional AT(which I thought they will in the facelift) and for both petrol and diesel engines.
Old 10th January 2023, 19:27   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankjain16 View Post
Can you please elaborate on how did you come to that conclusion? If reliability is the only thing that a car buyer is looking for then Jeep wouldn't sell a single car.
Hector sells more than compass, citreon and meredian combined. Also more than safari and almost as many as Harrier. Its just that people find it difficult to trust a new brand, and if you go through enough posts against Hector, you'll find there's a sentiment of it being a chinese car because of which people dont even go in MG showrooms. Looks are subjective ofcourse, but other than that are there any major issues reported by the owners? Even if there are, they aren't as many and major issues compared to Harrier.

Try searching posts of compititor cars buying process. Many people have rejected it before even going to the showroom or even taking a test drive. I'm not against or in favour of any product, I've only penned down my thoughts after reading alot.

Here are some:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4813529 (MG Hector : Official Review)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...r-british.html (Is MG alias SAIC fooling prospective buyers by selling a Chinese car as "British"?)

Last edited by GTO : 15th February 2024 at 10:20. Reason: Removing sensitive comment
Heisenberg_ad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 19:42   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Hector sells more than compass, citreon and meredian combined. Also more than safari and almost as many as Harrier...
Ofcourse there is an anti chinese sentiment
But it also sells less than XUV700, Scorpio N and Grand Vitara.

Yes, there is definitely a sentiment, but that is with a lot of products in India, like smartphones, electronics, etc. But that hasn't dented their sales significantly. I am just saying that there are many other factors at play affecting Hector's sales.

Last edited by GTO : 15th February 2024 at 10:21. Reason: Removing sensitive comment
shashankjain16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 23:49   #51
BHPian

Quote:
TBH, I personally like the Hector. I havent read any major niggles or issues with it. Unlike harrier and xuv700, hector is a far more sorted product. Harrier has too many horror stories and xuv700 has minor niggles too. No such reports about MG so far.
+1 to liking Hector. Less news on niggles as compared to Harrier and XUV700 plus it seems a bit more premium.

The Chinese tag is a big misconception in the mainstream customers. They are less bothered about the lackluster Petrol engine (unlike the Enthusiasts). I believe due to this misconception, Hector will just be cutting few thousand bookings of the more popular rivals every month. This facelift won't be a game changer for MG.
Shobhitsaxena is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 23:59   #52
BHPian

Classy interiors let down by flashy/overdone exterior bits 😒
Also, MG need to redesign or rather completely change the rear quarter profile. It ends abruptly and spoils the side profile.
RD150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 07:32   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulag62442 View Post
Can we choose to disable certain ADAS features? I'm ok with lane keep assist and forward collision warning etc but I definitely don't want Automatic Emergency Braking. I always want braking to be in my control. Is this possible to disable only that?
Yes you can disable ADAS features individually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recalcitrant View Post
Spoke with my SA. I might be able to get allocation of a white Savvy Pro tomorrow (vehicles have started arriving in the Bengaluru stockyard and deliveries will commence once the pricing is announced)

Hoping to take delivery before 20th
At flagship, allocation came in for manual variants yesterday. Hopefully it will come for AT today. I'm hopeful to get Hector Savvy PRO (5S) in black maybe next week. My original booking ID dates back to Oct 21, hence I am in top 5, if not top most.

Prices will be announced today. I feel top variant would be priced at 21.5L ex-sh (25L on road in Gurgaon). Any info from your SA on pricing? Please do share the final price you negotiate, I see room in insurance only to bargain.

Last edited by manpreetsj : 11th January 2023 at 07:34.
manpreetsj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 08:06   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankjain16 View Post
Can you please elaborate on how did you come to that conclusion? If reliability is the only thing that a car buyer is looking for then Jeep wouldn't sell a single car. If the value for money is the only thing, then there wouldn't be a luxury car market. There are customers spending 30+ lakhs on a Jeep or 50+ lakhs on a Volvo, 40+ lakhs on a Citroen and 15+ lakhs on a Thar, all looking for different things in their car. Hector is a good product, but please don't generalize a statement on it just because it's a Chinese car and there is an anti china sentiment going on in India.

For me personally, the facelifted car looks hideous (sorry, just my opinion). For this simple reason, I would never buy it, no matter how feature-loaded it is and how reliable it is. Because before sitting in it every time, I will be reminded that I don't like the look of it.
Second that. I honestly don't care who the brand is owned by. In an ideal world it shouldn't matter. With that logic JLR and Volvo can't do business globally given their Indian and Chinese parent companies. What matters is the legacy they build with it. Right from the beginning MG didn't quite get that British Design language anywhere in their cars and they rather looked very uninspiring. This face-lift is sort of cringy to my eyes. Too many polarizing design elements, unpleasant grill, boxy body, disproportionate wheels, all scream Chinese design. But MG also knows Indians like such flashy designs and they must have thought this out well.

Last edited by GTO : 15th February 2024 at 10:22. Reason: Removing sensitive content
Old 11th January 2023, 09:34   #55
BHPian

https://twitter.com/autocarindiamag/...R9_dDYphA&s=19

Prices announced
Old 11th January 2023, 09:36   #56
BHPian

Prices announced for Hector. 5 seater top end is priced at 21.7 Lakhs ex-sh (premium of 50k in Sharp variant and 1.5L in Savvy variant over previous gen).

The estimates are very much in line with what I had been posting here since ages! Glad no surprises, look forward to taking delivery!
Attached Thumbnails
2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-screenshot_20230111_093556_youtube.jpg  

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-screenshot_20230111_093542_youtube.jpg  

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-screenshot_20230111_093537_youtube.jpg  

Last edited by manpreetsj : 11th January 2023 at 10:02.
manpreetsj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 10:28   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
Prices announced for Hector. 5 seater top end is priced at 21.7 Lakhs ex-sh (premium of 50k in Sharp variant and 1.5L in Savvy variant over previous gen).

The estimates are very much in line with what I had been posting here since ages! Glad no surprises, look forward to taking delivery!
The Facelift actually has bought the Hector too close to the XUV700 in terms of pricing, losing it's VFM tag. In Pune the XUV700 AX7LAT is priced at 23.09L, just about 1.37L more than the Hector SAVVY. 1.37L premium is easily more than enough for the superior petrol engine, Automatic gearbox, and excellent ride and handling balance.

Even in Diesel, the Sharp variant is now costlier than the XZ+ variant of Harrier.
07CR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 10:36   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
The Facelift actually has bought the Hector too close to the XUV700 in terms of pricing, losing it's VFM tag. In Pune the XUV700 AX7LAT is priced at 23.09L, just about 1.37L more than the Hector SAVVY. 1.37L premium is easily more than enough for the superior petrol engine, Automatic gearbox, and excellent ride and handling balance.

Even in Diesel, the Sharp variant is now costlier than the XZ+ variant of Harrier.
Agreed! But the comparison, pros and cons and weightage on same differs from person to person. There is a price one pays for better quality interiors (Harrier comes with vintage bare shell), warranty of 5 years, better plastic quality (vs. XUV700). CVT has better longevity and reliability. XUV stands out for better engine no doubt. Hector with XUV's engine can kill the next segment, but that's anyone's wish!

Bottom line is, even at same price as XUV700 or Harrier, I would have still selected Hector, as I and my family found it to be a complete car.

Last edited by manpreetsj : 11th January 2023 at 10:41.
manpreetsj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 10:47   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
The Facelift actually has bought the Hector too close to the XUV700 in terms of pricing, losing it's VFM tag.
Doesn't AX7 have a 12 month waiting period? I salute folks who can wait for 12 months to get a new car. I can barely wait for a month. This is a level of Zen that I'd like to bring in my life
recalcitrant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 10:53   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post

When is the delivery expected as per dealers?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks