Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2023, 10:56   #61
BHPian

Re: 2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
The Facelift actually has bought the Hector too close to the XUV700 in terms of pricing, losing it's VFM tag. In Pune the XUV700 AX7LAT is priced at 23.09L, just about 1.37L more than the Hector SAVVY. 1.37L premium is easily more than enough for the superior petrol engine, Automatic gearbox, and excellent ride and handling balance.

Even in Diesel, the Sharp variant is now costlier than the XZ+ variant of Harrier.
Agreed, we are getting closer. It is basically between a much better engine + 3rd row seating vs much better interiors, premium experience and insane boot space for that price difference and remember XUV700 is also due a price revision in the near future as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
Bottom line is, even at same price as XUV700 or Harrier, I would have still selected Hector, as I and my family found it to be a complete car.
Agreed. I have made the same choice
Confirmed the Savvy Pro in Starry Black as well.
ar14920251 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 11:03   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
Bottom line is, even at same price as XUV700 or Harrier, I would have still selected Hector, as I and my family found it to be a complete car.
Agreed! I was actually in the market for a car in two segments above. Was looking at GLA, GLC, X1, X3, Meridian, GLOSTER. The past enthusiast in me had booked the GLC43 AMG - cracker of a car, but so impractical.

Realizing that I'm actually now a sedate driver, wondered whether an AMG would be wasted on me. I couldn't find a more VFM car with trustworthy history this side of X5. Gloster came close to be honest, the only thing swayed me towards Hector was the absence of ventilation in passenger seat

Sure, the engine could've been peppier. Yes, memory seats would've helped. Touchscreen could be more lag-free. But when you put it all together, it's a car which we can carry our road bikes in, where our humans and dogs can both fit in, which pampers and shoots multiple notches above it's segment
recalcitrant is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 11:07   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankjain16 View Post
But it also sells less than XUV700, Scorpio N and Grand Vitara.
That's because Mahindra has priced it competitively. There has been silent feature deductions on XUV too. There's no price protection either. You book XUV700 today and you get it after 1 year at increased price making it more expensive than your calculations.

Also, Creta sells more than Taigun, does it mean Creta is a better product than Taigun?
No, it's because ours is a price sensitive market.

Please note that I have nothing against XUV700, I myself like it too. The only point I'm trying to make is Hector should now atleast be considered as a serious option while considering cars in the segment and shouldn't be rejected without a test drive.

I believe that if Hector had a diesel AT option, it would even outsell some cars from one segment below.
Heisenberg_ad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 11:20   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure why everyone thinks that everyone looking for a stonker of an engine, lot of people just like to drive easy and sedately.

What does XUV700 have better then Hector.

1. Better petrol engine with more power, but then FE is almost the same, so yes you will enjoy the car more on highway, but for that you will need to live with the constant 120+ beep also. Both cars can cruise comfortably at 120 on highway.

2. Wider service coverage, and which is pretty much needed with all the niggles the car has.

3. Diesel with AT, great for some one who wants to enjoy the last leg of diesel engines, they are a dying breed.

Anything else?

What does it Miss

1. Ventilated Seats
2. Premium Interiors
3. Soft touch Dashboard.
4. Proven niggle free car compared to XUV
5. Electric Opening Tailgate
6. Ambient Lights
7. Much better Speakers

The above will make your life easier in everyday usage.

Few years back I would have picked the XUV for the engine, now with family and kid in the car, hardly matters, Hector scores pretty much everywhere else. Now add to this 12 - 15 months waiting, I will not even consider XUV in today's time.

Last edited by AtheK : 11th January 2023 at 11:31.
AtheK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 12:49   #65
BHPian

Just received the prices for the facelift.

These are ex-showroom.

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-e0dcff41636c418593c2e33fb6fea3f6.jpg

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-6c13cbca34464eeb96fc6cd8e2069a3c.jpg

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-66fe6f7878554d71987a984dcef6eabc.jpg
Evyas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 13:48   #66
BHPian

While I do have my eye on the car, and will probably book it sooner than later. I'm not going to say that MG Hector is absolute bang for the buck anymore. The recent price hikes were always going to play spoilsport and they indeed have done their part. Oh and the taxes, oh the taxes.

Could someone Eli5 on how a 30k hike, results in RTO getting a similar raise?

It's funny to look back on the prices back in January for previous gen after a 30K price hike, as I certainly do remember the pricing being sub 22L OTR just a few months prior.

P.s - The pricing details are from carwale, uncertain on accuracy.

Gotta get ahead on my booking timeline, lest there is another hike on the horizon.
Attached Thumbnails
2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-img_0243.jpeg  

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-img_0244.jpeg  

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-img_0249.jpeg  

Lord-Lannister is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 14:25   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Few years back I would have picked the XUV for the engine, now with family and kid in the car, hardly matters, Hector scores pretty much everywhere else. Now add to this 12 - 15 months waiting, I will not even consider XUV in today's time.
I do not think its a good idea to compare these two vehicles, they are now in different price points - Hector makes good as a Creta+ but going up against XUV is not going to work just because it has the size.

A friend of mine switched from a Skoda to an i20 petrol for a few years, he hated it, never went anywhere far with it due to how dull it was to drive.

All that family and responsibility etc are good but why compromise when you can have the best of both worlds? And that is why XUV is a run away hit, it is going to remain that way for a while.
Kosfactor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 15:42   #68
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I do not think its a good idea to compare these two vehicles, they are now in different price points - Hector makes good as a Creta+ but going up against XUV is not going to work just because it has the size.
Hector with Facelift in it's topmost petrol trim costs just 1.3L lesser than the XUV700 AX7LAT(Ex showroom). They are no more in different price points.
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 16:21   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

A friend of mine switched from a Skoda to an i20 petrol for a few years, he hated it, never went anywhere far with it due to how dull it was to drive.

All that family and responsibility etc are good but why compromise when you can have the best of both worlds? And that is why XUV is a run away hit, it is going to remain that way for a while.
Your friend was the one who made compromise and struggled, but if end goal of end user is not Performance orientation, there is no compromise to be made. For me it is a compromise which I am ready to live with, as for me now my family takes the precedence and not performance. I have my bikes to give me that kick, but when behind the wheel I want my kid to be the most comfortable.

XUV might be the best of both worlds if you are Ok to live with the niggles and some of missing creature comforts I listed in my post above. Additionally are you willing to wait 15 months to get a car, babies come faster. I am not for either of the above, so it is not best of both worlds for me.

Bottomline there is something for someone, and more then the competition these should be seen complimenting to a consumer as per his needs today.

Last edited by AtheK : 11th January 2023 at 16:24.
AtheK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 17:34   #70
BHPian

We don't need to see it as a Compromise, it all depends on what we want, when we want and how we want. We can have an "AND" between each of them or an "OR" between them. As long as we're satisfied at the end of the day, that's all matters. In the current market and trend, we can safely say there is no one car better than others because for every car there is a consumer. However, for a car if there is no Consumer then that car will fade out for e.g., Marazzo/Hexa/TUV.

Each individual/family has their own criteria and selection. If they tick the check boxes for what they want, when they want and how they want then bingo, that is their car. But if they purchase a car without this due diligence that's when the frustration and hatred comes out leading to bad reviews on that car however nothing might be wrong with that car. It's just that the individual missed due diligence before purchasing. [Note - I'm not talking about the niggles or stalled cars or quality issues]

Yes, for tech pundits, reviewers and car bloggers there are differences and that is their job and they live on that. But that doesn't make those cars any better if they're not available immediately for delivery.

Overall, my 2 cent, the Hector is still a VFM for what it offers. The 1.5 DCT/CVT still does its job. I've been using the Hector DCT for 1.5yrs now and been happy, have seen many XUVs or Alcazars but did never think I'm missing anything.
darthvader001 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 18:39   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hector with Facelift in it's topmost petrol trim costs just 1.3L lesser than the XUV700 AX7LAT(Ex showroom). They are no more in different price points.
Translates to this much on road, imagine how much it would be by the time someone gets it.

Name:  hector 2023 Vs XUV.PNG
Views: 1211
Size:  57.0 KB

MG does have the most ultra urban of customers while that is an advantage, the power train on offer is not going to help, perhaps they are going full fledged EV afterwards.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 18:58   #72
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Translates to this much on road, imagine how much it would be by the time someone gets it.

Attachment 2404110

MG does have the most ultra urban of customers while that is an advantage, the power train on offer is not going to help, perhaps they are going full fledged EV afterwards.
You are comparing a two wheel drive Petrol Automatic Hector vs AWD Diesel Automatic XUV700.

Like for like, we should be comparing the Petrol Automatic Hector vs the Petrol Automatic XUV700 AX 7L or Sharp Diesel Manual Hector vs XUV700 AX7 Diesel Manual.

The difference is as below-

Difference between Manual Diesel Hector and XUV is just 60K! OTR Pune price.
Name:  Diesel M XUV price.png
Views: 1214
Size:  31.8 KB

Name:  Diesel Hector Price.png
Views: 1117
Size:  21.4 KB

Difference between Petrol Auto Hector and XUV700 is 1.83L in favor of Hector. Again OTR Pune price.
Name:  Petrol AT XUV price.png
Views: 1184
Size:  23.0 KB

Name:  Auto Hector price.png
Views: 1215
Size:  22.3 KB

Source- Carwale.com

Last edited by 07CR : 11th January 2023 at 19:03.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 01:14   #73
BHPian

On road pricing in Haryana
Attached Thumbnails
2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-screenshot_20230112_011407_acrobat-samsung.jpg  

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-screenshot_20230112_011344_acrobat-samsung.jpg  

Old 12th January 2023, 01:42   #74
BHPian

Quote:
You are comparing a two wheel drive Petrol Automatic Hector vs AWD Diesel Automatic XUV700.

Like for like, we should be comparing the Petrol Automatic Hector vs the Petrol Automatic XUV700 AX 7L or Sharp Diesel Manual Hector vs XUV700 AX7 Diesel Manual.
I’m assuming the idea was to compare the top trims / versions of both the cars and not comparing based on specs.

I do get your point. Hector and XUV700 are not too close to call if you see it this way.. but as with most things in life, it all boils down to what you want and are looking for.
Old 12th January 2023, 04:17   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg_ad View Post
Also, Creta sells more than Taigun, does it mean Creta is a better product than Taigun?
No, it's because ours is a price sensitive market.
I disagree. I think ours is a very diverse and different kind of market. Many have had this price-sensitivity assumption about India and have failed (GM, Ford, Tata nano, etc.). MG and others have taken a more modern approach.

I have a 2020 Creta CVT. I have driven my friend's Taigun and I wouldn't pick that over my Creta any day. To me, it just felt like a slightly bigger, snazzier Polo (nothing wrong, just not my cup of tea). It doesn't offer what I need - a quiet, comfortable city
car that glides over potholes and speedbumps, and with just enough road presence for scooters and autowallahs to move out of the way. It lets me do my 25km daily commute through traffic and village roads without breaking a sweat, with my playlist on those fantastic Bose speakers. The MG Hector does it even better, offering much more car for just a few extra lacs. I would have gone for the updated Hector if it had launched back in 2020.

Going by your logic, the Nissan Kicks should have dominated this segment!
hortons15 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed