Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2023, 10:33   #76
BHPian

Re: 2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortons15 View Post
I disagree. I think ours is a very diverse and different kind of market. Many have had this price-sensitivity assumption about India and have failed (GM, Ford, Tata nano, etc.). MG and others have taken a more modern approach.

I have a 2020 Creta CVT. I have driven my friend's Taigun and I wouldn't pick that over my Creta any day.
There would be exceptions ofcourse. But what I was talking about is majority. If you go to the what car page in SUVs and look at the polls, you'll see Taigun winning over creta and seltos both. Its not selling in huge numbers because of the pricing. It also translated in 5 star GNCAP rating. Its safe, spacious, feature rich and fun to drive. There would be people who like the product but wouldn't but because of budget. It doesnt make the product bad, it only makes the product placement bad.

Again, creta isnt a bad product; I'm only trying to make a point here. If you look at the overall product build, engineering etc. I find the Hector to be more sorted than the XUV. Wouldn't have as many niggles either. But it won't find buyers due to multiple reasons.
1. Priced on higher side
2. No diesel AT
3. Comparatively new brand to India
4. Chinese product image
Old 12th January 2023, 16:58   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg_ad View Post
If you go to the what car page in SUVs and look at the polls, you'll see Taigun winning over creta and seltos both....I'm only trying to make a point here.
Oh yes! I too am not implying that Creta is the best in segment and it certainly is not. I think we're both trying to say the same thing in different ways. When I said diverse, I meant different use cases that people use cars for. I drive the Creta say 30% of the time and the rest is chauffeur-driven. So for "me", fun-to-drive immediately goes out the window.

I would say regular middle-class households in India usually have different vehicles for different purposes - for example (1) an impractical European car for show to arrive at events marriages venues and such that wouldn't generally be abused, (2) a comfy one for the wife/daily duties, (3) a beater car or two for staff use like grocery runs or loan to relatives or do pickup drops or do farm/village runs, plus (4) a new trend I'm seeing in my circles where they add an electric car like Nexon to the mix.

For the Taigun in my opinion, aside from pricing it needs better engine options like a 4cyl no-nonsense gasoline or diesel or hybrid electric. Interior space should have been bigger if it wants to compete with the Hector. If the Taigun had offered all this at say even a higher price point, we'd be able to see if people would pay more for German engineering vs a similar GM-Wuling car.
Old 12th January 2023, 22:30   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
Glad no surprises, look forward to taking delivery!
Have you got any dates for delivery? I'm being told Savvy Pro will have a delay compared to Sharp Pro. New customers are being told Savvy Pro will take 2 months time compared to Sharp Pro.
Old 13th January 2023, 01:40   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar14920251 View Post
Have you got any dates for delivery? I'm being told Savvy Pro will have a delay compared to Sharp Pro. New customers are being told Savvy Pro will take 2 months time compared to Sharp Pro.
Will get to know tomorrow. Allocations list for first batch pending MG's approval. Few cars are enroute from Gujarat to Bengaluru - let's see whether I get one. Had booked Savvy Pro dual tone
Old 13th January 2023, 07:23   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar14920251 View Post
Your SA could be keeping a buffer, as allocation for manual came in on 10th, but for Savvy Pro, things are not very clear. Wait for 3-4 days, you will get clarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recalcitrant View Post
Will get to know tomorrow. Allocations list for first batch pending MG's approval. Few cars are enroute from Gujarat to Bengaluru - let's see whether I get one. Had booked Savvy Pro dual tone
I will also get to know in next couple of days. The first batch of Savvy Pro may actually be small and hence lack of clarity on allocation. My booking ID dates back to 30 Oct 2021, so I'm hopeful!

Btw a friend who took delivery of Sharp CVT in Feb 2022, paid 22Lakhs on road in Gurgaon. Same variant (new gen) after 1 year is at 24 lakhs. The prices shot up in 1 year by 2 lakhs. On 22L if you had earned interest on FD@5%, it covers 1 lakh. Balance 1 lakh is extra for new tech, design, etc. Another 1 lakh over 2 lakhs for ADAS (25L)!

Last edited by manpreetsj : 13th January 2023 at 07:29.
manpreetsj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 07:24   #81
BHPian

Competition is now heating up. Tata Harrier to come with a petrol option, same 1.5L Turbo petrol engine as Hector but with more output. Pricing will be key as Hector has a lot more tech.

https://www.rushlane.com/amp/tata-ha...-12457492.html
Old 13th January 2023, 10:19   #82
BHPian

Any ideas when test drives will start for the new Hector?
ulag62442 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 12:55   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
The first batch of Savvy Pro may actually be small and hence lack of clarity on allocation. My booking ID dates back to 30 Oct 2021, so I'm hopeful!
Yep, right on that. First batch for Savvy Pro is small and JP Nagar Bangalore only got 2 vehicles, that too White only. Another 1-2 months wait for a black Savvy Pro vehicle.

I don't intend to wait another 2 months hence confirmed for a black Sharp Pro which is ready at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulag62442 View Post
Any ideas when test drives will start for the new Hector?
I am told it will take at minimum next week and home pickups a week or so after.
ar14920251 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 17:20   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Got these pics from an SA that I was interacting with. Officially unveiled today at 12 pm. I couldn't go though.

Front look is imposing and the interiors look well put together. I only wish there was a Diesel automatic.
Which showroom is this in Bengaluru? I wanted to see the Havana Grey color in person.
Old 13th January 2023, 19:06   #85
BHPian

Changed my preference from dual tone Savvy Pro to black Sharp Pro

Savvy Pro availability no one is sure about. Looks like MG is going to take some time to sort Savvy Pro production. Spoke with a few friends, the only difference is the ADAS features. Not sure how effective they'll be on our Indian driving conditions. Having never driven an ADAS vehicle before and with my low perceived trust in the algo adapting that well to our conditions, decided to forego ADAS. The only thing I'll definitely miss though is the intelligent headlight control where the beam is changed to dipper in case of oncoming traffic - will do it manually I guess like I've been doing for years

Most probably I'm rationalizing to conform to the availability, but who cares. PDI on Monday and delivery estimated on Thursday. Will be the first delivery in Bengaluru most probably

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th January 2023 at 01:40. Reason: Only two emoticons per post please. Thanks.
recalcitrant is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 19:40   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulag62442 View Post
Which showroom is this in Bengaluru? I wanted to see the Havana Grey color in person.
This is the JP Nagar showroom.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 21:13   #87
BHPian

for those who have seen the hector 6/7 seater in person, how is the wooden finish look in CVT vs normal (non wooden) in MT..
Old 14th January 2023, 14:53   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recalcitrant View Post

Most probably I'm rationalizing to conform to the availability , but who cares. PDI on Monday and delivery estimated on Thursday. Will be the first delivery in Bengaluru most probably
Congratulations buddy, I will wait it out but get the pro. Do you have the one road price list for bangalore by any chance.
Old 14th January 2023, 15:07   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Congratulations buddy, I will wait it out but get the pro. Do you have the one road price list for bangalore by any chance.
Here you go - Hector price list for Bengaluru
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Price List The Next -Gen Hector 5 Str BSVI 2023.pdf (158.8 KB, 227 views)
recalcitrant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 15:09   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Visited flagship dealership in Gurgaon today to check on current allocation status. They have received allocation details for 6 seater today. Manual allocation came in earlier.

Sharp Pro in new brown colour is available though.

Hopefully, in next 2-3 days allocation for 5 seater Savvy should also come in.

There were 3 cars on display - 6 seater in Havana Grey, 5 seater AT in red and 7 seater in White.

Interiors are damn good, no other car in <30Lakhs price bracket can beat it! Back is also looking much more cleaner and bolder. Grille size is good (as I had always preferred Hector+ grille over Hector), but it seemed a bit overdone due to excessive chrome. Couple of shades darker finish of grille would have looked better.

Our colour preference continues to be Black followed by Havana Grey (basis today's visit)!

Last edited by manpreetsj : 14th January 2023 at 15:21.
manpreetsj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed