Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2023, 10:45   #91

Re: Tata Motors @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubhoMoto View Post
The Tata stall at the expo had the maximum crowd today..and why not. What a show by Tata. While Sierra looks good in pictures, I feel it looks much more better in real life. Hats off to the designers.
The Curvv & Avinya too were pulling crowd but still Sierra's hype & pull was much higher.
The new headlamp cluster on Harrier.EV looks quite good too and I hope they implement the same in the ICE version.
For the Dark editions, The new touchscreen system feels slick & smooth to use.
Not to sound pessimistic, but H5X(Harrier) had the same or even better response during their Auto Expo debuts. The Market success of Harrier & Safari is evident to all of us. Heck, if Mahindra could deliver more XUV700 and ScorpioN, the sales numbers of Tata Harrier and Safari would fall even further (its currently at half of what XUV700 manages in a month. I know pending orders; but still many would agree that XUV700 is better than Harrier duo). No doubt Harrier and Safari are one of the best designed vehicles to come from our domestic auto industry, but there are several shortcomings which dampen the ownership experience, which is compounded by Tata's lackluster approach in dealing with the issues.

Tata Motors need to up their game.
vikas8890 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 13:19   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaikalra01 View Post
Sorry but wouldn't a Punch EV fall under the Gen 1 category? Gen 1 are cars that were primarily launched as ICE vehicles and were electrified later. Gen 2 is basically Sierra and Curvv, developed and launched as EVs first followed by ICE launch.
Gen 3 is Avinya which will be electric only.
From watching multiple Shailesh Chandra interviews:

GEN 1: X-x platform - Tiago, Tigor, Nexon and now the Curvv.

GEN 2: ALFA platform - Altroz, Punch (now being converted to SIGMA platform for EVs. First of the line is Sierra.) Harrier's Omega platform also comes under Gen 2.

GEN 3: Born EV skateboard platform (Avinya)
ashutoshb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 13:55   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikas8890 View Post
Not to sound pessimistic, but H5X(Harrier) had the same or even better response during their Auto Expo debuts. The Market success of Harrier & Safari is evident to all of us
The H5X concept was shown in 2018 and the Harrier was launched 4 years ago. Despite this these twins continue to sell strong and outsell the Jeeps and Hectors (5&7 seats). The much newer XUV700 is cheaper and also have petrol variants, despite this the sales of Harrier+Safari vis a vis XUV700 (5&7 seat variants) are literally neck and neck with about 1000-1500 units difference between them.

The newer XUV700 does outsell them, but not by much. Now it's true that if M&M were able to make more XUV700s or if Tata was able to launch cheaper petrol variants of the twins, the numbers will look very different. But both makers look incapable of doing this at the moment.
shortbread is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 18:00   #94
BHPian

In this interview, Shailesh Chandra hints about refreshes of existing portfolio of cars and new forevers interventions in 2023. Harrier and Safari dark red editions seems to be these New Forever interventions. I hope he is talking about refreshes of Nexon, tiago and tigor in 2023. And also, Altroz racer, cng and Punch cng in 2023.
He mentions it at here at 9:50s
ramotra3 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 01:38   #95
BHPian

Exciting times for Tata ahead if all of these plans come through and they are able to achieve good quality standard and QC throughout their products and improve on their after sales treatment of customers and general dealership behaviour.

1) Updated Nexon with better Petrol engine and hopefully the DCA, 6 airbags will make it the perfect, safe, "compact" SUV

2) Tiago and Tigor are in dire need of a refresh, especially the interiors. The offering is really good for the price but feels a bit stale now, a refresh is all it needs to increase sales. I see more and more people around me asking about a Tiago over the mighty Swift.

3) Altroz Racer is exciting for enthusiasts and me personally. If the clutch isn't heavy, I could see myself picking up the manual variant. After a Polo TSI, I don't think I can downgrade on power and I don't even drive fast! Driving my Ritz now, it feels like its dragging an anchor.

4) Altroz CNG and Punch CNG are definitely need of the hour, with the petrol prices rising, a reasonable boot + CNG capacity with all the safety would make it a unique offering. The Hyundai CNG cars are suspect on their safety ratings.

5) And here's the wishful thinking of a Punch.EV . I can not think of a better city car for India. A tallboy with EV efficiency, zippyness around city, the capable chassis of Punch would make for a sweet, sweet city car and with decent range, perhaps even a good highway car.

I'm not happy for Tata as much as happy as a car enthusiast! Which speaks volumes about how well they're doing. This at a time when most OEMs are disappointing in one way or another.
RoadMonkey is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 05:50   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
The H5X concept was shown in 2018 and the Harrier was launched 4 years ago. Despite this these twins continue to sell strong and outsell the Jeeps and Hectors (5&7 seats). The much newer XUV700 is cheaper and also have petrol variants, despite this the sales of Harrier+Safari vis a vis XUV700 (5&7 seat variants) are literally neck and neck with about 1000-1500 units difference between them.

The newer XUV700 does outsell them, but not by much. Now it's true that if M&M were able to make more XUV700s or if Tata was able to launch cheaper petrol variants of the twins, the numbers will look very different. But both makers look incapable of doing this at the moment.
I did not mean to bash Tata Motors, but i was just pointing out the flaws in the product as well as Tata Motors response towards the issues. With the hyped Land Rover derived architecture and the brilliant design of the vehicle, Tata Motors have under delivered.The Harrier as a product should have been a hit. Tata should have launched a sorted product and issues should have been handled better; including after sales. But there are numerous horror stories of Harrier and
Safari owners on Team bhp itself. I know any product is not perfect, but we as Indians want our Indian companies to do better. With the resources available to Tata Motors, they can certainly do better.
As regards to Jeep, the Compass duo are priced higher than Harrier duo and the vehicles are also not of similar category wrt to size and positioning, its not be a fair comparison. As regards to the Hector duo, Yes Harrier twins do outsell them, and thats a Good thing.

I meant to convey that Tata Motors have wowed us at Auto Expo before as well, but their product execution is still not good enough. They still have a lot of work to do.
vikas8890 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 12:49   #97
BHPian

A bit skeptical of Curvv.

Maybe there was acrylic in place of glass windows. On 14th Jan, it looked too scratched to be glass, or it had some transparent wrap on thin glass sheet. Maybe the proportions of the B pillar aren't finalised, vaguely speculating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post

The concept showcases a coupe-like styling - the production version of which is slated to be unveiled in 2024.
It's 2023 already, and there could be multiple production timelines clashing. Not to ignore India specific platforms of other manufacturers tweaking their offerings in the premium segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
From the latest round of Tata Motors interviews incl. Mr. Shailesh Chandra, Mr. P Balaji & N. Chandrasekaran

Models/Future launches
- All concepts shown are intended for production
- Harrier EV and Curvv EV will be launched in 2024.
- Curvv ICE will be the next all new ICE product from Tata, which will be launched following the EV variant.
- Sierra and Avinya are slated for 2025 launches
Pricewise, segments costing below 10 lakh, below 25 lakh and above 40 lacs would introduce a lot of choice in the market. Applaud the product differentiation, though. But didn't Maruti do the same? Infact they launched a differentiated product in a particular color and stole all the limelight! They even started bookings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBlade View Post
Autocar India walk-around video of Tata Curvv SUV Coupe: 'By far the hottest looking car of this Expo':

https://Youtu.be/VFv-2mcV7OM
Renault Arkana, if launched in India might upturn the Coupe-stance advantage in terms of body, exteriors and even cabin space!

It seems they Renault dropped their plans, and disappeared from the 2023 Auto Expo! Maybe their engine needed some toning down, however a modern 1.6 is beyond competition in terms of ICE. https://www.v3cars.com/auto-expo/ren...auto-expo-2023

Toyota BZ4X might also prevent Curvv being launched at a high premium, as compared to what Hyundai has done. They too had tried to leverage the reputation earned from RAV4 being 'cheap, reliable, safe family car' and then trying to move the customers to BZ4X, but then reviews started pointing at something else entirely:

Seems Tata Motors is aware of the issues others have faced recently, atleast the EV issues. Too clever to push EV & ICE variants one after the other (in any order) when production begins.
h3mnzu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 13:42   #98
BHPian

Surprisingly none of the products showcased by Tata at Auto Expo are production ready and launching soon. Can't consider the dark Red editions. All the highlights and showstoppers by Tata are slated for launch in 2024 or 2025. Too late in my opinion. Thought Sierra EV would launch this year.
Knightrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 16:07   #99
BHPian

Very informative Podcast by Evo India team regarding future Tata Motors launches. A must watch, in my opinion:

Last edited by FireBlade : 15th January 2023 at 16:12.
FireBlade is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 18:18   #100
BANNED

Hope the 1.2 TGDi is going to come to Nexon and Altroz and with the DCA gearbox! That could make Altroz a hot hatch for the highways and a boon for our ever congested cities. Nexon is badly in need of a better auto gearbox while Altroz’s current engine in the automatic version is too anemic.
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 20:29   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
Safari and Harrier EVs' styling could be much better. Little or no differences to exterior styling is a disappointment.

Also, for God's sake, please please change that steering wheel Tata. What is wrong with you guys? It belongs to a truck, not on a 20L+ flagship of your company. the dent on the Horn pad sucks big time. Wonder how on earth you can unsee it, Tata
You're right about the steering wheel! The one on my Tiago(same on nexon) is more graceful, with awesome horn buttons at the outer edges which can be used by the thumbs.

Another gripe I have is a non-modernised logo. They should have a unique one for the motor car division
lemedico is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 22:18   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBlade View Post
Very informative Podcast by Evo India team regarding future Tata Motors launches. A must watch, in my opinion:

https://Youtu.be/OMS3l8BBaIE
Shirish mentions the Harrier EV design is essentially also the Harrier facelift! Interesting because I really like the new redesigned headlamp cluster. While the new infotainment system and other features should debut this quarter only with the Red Dark( or Dark Red?) variant, I'm not sure if the facelift will hit the roads this quarter. Hope it does though
Familyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 23:04   #103
BHPian

The lineup is great for Tata this year. I just wish there were some facelifts. Especially, the headlamps and tailllamps. The Kia siblings are just such a pleasant sight to look at with their LED cluster. Although, I have heard Kia owners grumbling over the effectiveness of the LED headlamps, nevertheless, they change the outlook of a car and I wish the Altroz came with some.
Old 16th January 2023, 00:49   #104
BHPian

Some smarts from TATA on not giving ADAS but still giving ADAS. The smarts in what is categorised in the 'assist'. Adaptive cruise control and cross traffic warning are the most useful ones. Others are nice, some like emergency braking are tricky or even scary.
They are now slightly even with the market, but the market will move on quickly. However, if TATA does not bump up the price too much, and keep their current deliver schedules they can have a good run. The interest rates are cooling down, and macros are looking better.
Do we know if these engines already come with the BS6.2 (or so it's called, right?).
Black or red, they need to look at the Koreans to really learn interior quality, design and outcome.
They should along with the steering also do something about that centre console that hurts the left knee. Don't know why that contour is needed, who asked for it, and why is that design really a dealbreaker for the design team. They did such a good job with the external design, but this one thing, why does it have to be this way?
man_and_machine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 08:14   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
Surprisingly none of the products showcased by Tata at Auto Expo are production ready and launching soon. Can't consider the dark Red editions. All the highlights and showstoppers by Tata are slated for launch in 2024 or 2025. Too late in my opinion. Thought Sierra EV would launch this year.
TATA has it's hands full for this year.
Upgradation of current portfolio cars with new emission norms and new value added interiors.
-Introduction of new 1.2L TGDi engines in the current cars. Powerful version of Nexon and Altroz with new gearbox upgradations.
- Flex Fuel options too will be introduced.
-Introduction of PUNCH EV that was annouced.
- Market introduction of TIAGO EV.
- Safari and Harrier will get new features like ADAS, Powered seats, New infotainment and instrument cluster, 360 degree camera, lane departure warning, et al. All feature additions start with a special edition and then features trickle down to regular version. By Festival season all features should be seen on regular version of Harrier and Safari.

For 2024
- CURVV ICE & EV
- Harrier EV
- Harrier Petrol
- Introduction of 1.5 TGDi

The testing on these cars has not yet begun. So it's atleast a year away before we get a perfectly baked products.

For 2025
- New car on AVINYA concept
- SIERRA EV and ICE
- May be new gen TIAGO and TIGOR?

Last edited by DRPSREDDY : 16th January 2023 at 08:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks