Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2023, 08:31   #106
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPSREDDY View Post
-Introduction of new 1.2L TGDi engines in the current cars. Powerful version of Nexon and Altroz with new gearbox upgradations.
As per Evo India, Shailesh Chandra (MD, Tata Motors) confirmed that Curvv will be the first car to get the new 1.2 TGDi engine. So we're most probably not getting the new petrol engines this year.
udaikalra01 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 08:58   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaikalra01 View Post
As per Evo India, Shailesh Chandra (MD, Tata Motors) confirmed that Curvv will be the first car to get the new 1.2 TGDi engine. So we're most probably not getting the new petrol engines this year.
The current engines need upgrades for BS-6 P-II. So non-turbo versions of this engine may debut.
Old 16th January 2023, 10:27   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nobody can overnight create a portfolio of 10 products that I will have and nobody can have the width which I am developing. Also, nobody will have the same confidence of consumers which our products will have because of power of 60,000 customers referring to others. These are the ammunition we will have to sustain our leadership position. But we will have to work hard to retain that.
An interesting quote by Tata Motors MD Shailesh Chandra.

Source: Indian Express
ashutoshb is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 15:17   #109
BHPian

I hope 2025 also sees new-gen Nexon (Alpha platform) along with Tiago and tigor.

From 2025, we will have the following:

X1 - Curvv

Alpha/Sigma - Tiago, Altroz, Punch, and Nexon

Omega - Harrier/Safari maybe even a sedan

Avinya - Pure EV cars
sharathkamath04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 16:11   #110
BHPian

Tata did hit it out of the bag. Some of the concepts shown were too good and they shown their improvement in certain areas.

My observtions:
1. Sierra concept was just too good. Modern yet traditional. Butch too and space as seen in videos was quite a lot. As per Martin Ulharik there will be 4 seater option. SAY WHAT?!!

2. Harrier EV was expected as per teasers but AWD was something I did not see coming. They felt there was no demand and then this. As per Sirish Chandran of Evo India, it has an independent rear suspension instead of a torsion beam one on the current model. He also raises a good point according to me: if they went to all the trouble re-engineer the rear suspension to an independent one, they can then put it to the ICE powered version of Harrier and Safari to bring AWD to the customers even though market is low currently. If it comes with an AWD, the ICE ones, then take my money.

3. Curvv concept looks sexy in my opinion. A niche but it will be a layman's X6. (Hope they take care of the head room due to sloping roof).

4. Altroz racer is a good choice to fight against i20 N-Line. Hope they give the new 1.2 T-GDI engine to the car soon. Don't see the need for the current engine to continue due to RDE and the T-GDI is RDE ready. Glad for the manual though that too 6 speed one.

5. Well Punch CNG was expected. Glad to see Tata being proactive by giving 6 airbags and also the double CNG Tanks instead of one. Hope to see this extended to the Tiago and Tigor soon. Did not expect sunroof in Punch though.

6. The infotainment. Thank god they brought a new update to it along with upsizing it. 10.25' is a reasonable size and the new UI makes it look clean. Kind of reminds me of Pivi Pro from JLR. Looks clean and with widgets. The digital instrument cluster is also crisp and clear.

Hope to see these changes soon
Old 16th January 2023, 16:51   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathkamath04 View Post

*Visible surprise*
A sedan?! It would be great if it's the production iteration of the EVision concept; that thing seems to have Jaguar's design cues here and there (which is nice, IMO) and it would be nice to see a new sedan offering, albeit electric.
CrashedCyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 18:16   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBlade View Post
Very informative Podcast by Evo India team regarding future Tata Motors launches. A must watch
Looks like the earlier upload went private, so reposting the link:

FireBlade is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 07:09   #113
BHPian

The Safari and the Harrier surely has been two of the most sought after SUV's in the Indian market. However what they are still missing is a proper AWD or 4WD option when compared to its competitors.

I am a bit surprised why TATA who owns JLR can use the same platform and not derive an AWD or a 4WD system for the Harrier and the Safari
Old 17th January 2023, 09:53   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathkamath04 View Post
I hope 2025 also sees new-gen Nexon (Alpha platform) along with Tiago and tigor.

From 2025, we will have the following:

X1 - Curvv

Alpha/Sigma - Tiago, Altroz, Punch, and Nexon

Avinya - Pure EV cars
It appears, with the launch plans of Curvv, Tata has postponed the retirement of the X1 platform.

In the Evo podcast, they talk about how Tata has heavily modified this platform to meet the upcoming crash standards of both Bharat NCAP and Global NCAP.

So, I will not be surprised if the next gen Tiago and Nexon continue using the X1.

I did not mention the Tigor, because its seems highly unlikely they will put in their money on a sedan.
ashutoshb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 17:37   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
It appears, with the launch plans of Curvv, Tata has postponed the retirement of the X1 platform.
In the Evo podcast, they talk about how Tata has heavily modified this platform to meet the upcoming crash standards of both Bharat NCAP and Global NCAP.
What if Curvv itself is the next gen Nexon? It's highly surprising that Tata didn't reveal any future plans regarding Nexon facelift, which is apparently their biggest hit!

Quote:
So, I will not be surprised if the next gen Tiago and Nexon continue using the X1.
Err... Nexon and Tiago are based on two entirely different platforms. Tiago is based on Indica's XO platform(though highly modified) and Nexon is based on Vista's X1 platform. Nexon is way wider and heavier than all original Indica derived cars.

Honestly, I don't see the appeal of Nexon on ALFA platform except weight savings. The current Nexon has superlative stability on highways, much better than Punch(which is based on ALFA). Plus ALFA platform is designed with bigger wheels(with less increase in ground clearance)in mind. Thus both Altroz and Punch don't have that great ground clearance despite having 195/60 R16 tyre size. Compare that with lower versions of Nexon that has 205 mm ground clearance with the same tyre size.

This is exactly why Curvv is based on modified X1 platform and not ALFA.

Last edited by FireBlade : 17th January 2023 at 17:38.
FireBlade is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 22:25   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBlade View Post

Honestly, I don't see the appeal of Nexon on ALFA platform except weight savings. The current Nexon has superlative stability on highways, much better than Punch(which is based on ALFA). Plus ALFA platform is designed with bigger wheels(with less increase in ground clearance)in mind. Thus both Altroz and Punch don't have that great ground clearance despite having 195/60 R16 tyre size. Compare that with lower versions of Nexon that has 205 mm ground clearance with the same tyre size.

This is exactly why Curvv is based on modified X1 platform and not ALFA.
I have to disagree here. I have not driven the punch, but i have driven my altroz XZ diesel, which sports 185/60R16 tyres, for 43k km. And i recently did a Bangalore to Goa trip on my friend's Nexon XZ+ sporting 215/60R16 tyres and i did most of the driving. The altroz is of course shorter and has low GC, but even with narrower tyres, the highway stability is way more superior, and unmatched. IMO, the handling in ALFA platform is better. It is also spacious on the inside: better leg room and better storage spaces.

Punch is a smaller car than Nexon, means, they need to make it look smaller. Obviously, they can't provide more GC than Nexon on punch.

The reason Curvv is based on the X1 platform is, they can make minor changes to the Nexon to get the vehicle, and get it quicker. Since they don't have an ALFA based Nexon(yet), they would have to make major changes and it would take more time to launch, and thereby, a quicker EV too.

In general, if Tata felt X1 was better than ALFA, they wouldn't have developed it in the first place. IMO, ALFA is one of the best small car platforms in the country.
Benoit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 22:59   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
I have to disagree here. I have not driven the punch, but i have driven my altroz XZ diesel, which sports 185/60R16 tyres, for 43k km. And i recently did a Bangalore to Goa trip on my friend's Nexon XZ+ sporting 215/60R16 tyres and i did most of the driving. The altroz is of course shorter and has low GC, but even with narrower tyres, the highway stability is way more superior, and unmatched. IMO, the handling in ALFA platform is better. It is also spacious on the inside: better leg room and better storage spaces.
Indeed! Altroz's center of gravity is much less with almost as big wheels as Nexon, so it should feel more stable. But here we're talking about SUVs.

Quote:
Punch is a smaller car than Nexon, means, they need to make it look smaller. Obviously, they can't provide more GC than Nexon on punch.
Actually smaller wheelbase with similar tyre size should provide better ground clearance. Punch isn't that much smaller than Nexon. But their ground clearance is much different even with 195/60 R16 tyres(Nexon XM =205 mm vs Punch = 187mm).

Quote:
The reason Curvv is based on the X1 platform is, they can make minor changes to the Nexon to get the vehicle, and get it quicker. Since they don't have an ALFA based Nexon(yet), they would have to make major changes and it would take more time to launch, and thereby, a quicker EV too.
Nope. If ALFA platform could accept big wheel size, then Curvv too would have been based on it. ALFA as the name suggests is agile, light and flexible. The old Vista based X1 Platform is very heavy in comparison.

Quote:
In general, if Tata felt X1 was better than ALFA, they wouldn't have developed it in the first place. IMO, ALFA is one of the best small car platforms in the country.
Isn't that my whole point. ALFA is indeed better than X1. But still TATA has decided to continue with old platform. It must be based on a solid reason.

Anyways, Curvv and Sierra both are heavily modified X1 and ALFA platform vehicle with entirely new floor-board. In fact Sierra's platform is so different that they have given it a new name, i.e., SIGMA.
Old 17th January 2023, 23:29   #118
BHPian

Both Fireblade and Benoit are right about some aspects. So guys calm down.
All that matters is when Nexon ICE will be getting update be it a facelift 2.0 or with some platform modifications(or based on ALFA)?
One thing that frustrates me the most is the fact that no one(be it youtubers or professional journalist) asked TATA executives at AUTO EXPO about Nexon update. Nexon is the most important car for TATA resurgence. But they are giving it least attention. If anyone got some concrete info about it do share? And don't share Nexon CNG news as an update.
ramotra3 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 14:48   #119
BHPian

Any updates on when the updated Harrier dark version is expected?
Old 18th January 2023, 19:52   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyFunk View Post
Any updates on when the updated Harrier dark version is expected?
Should be within this quarter itself.
Familyguy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed