Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2023, 12:34   #1531
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

I need to hide my own money from my self lest I get tempted and get one.

On paper this is looking like ideal city runabout for bangalore craters, waterlogged roads and off road circuit that I take from my house on sarjapur road to E-city.

I have a 10 year old Diesel Ecosport MT and this petrol AT is looking ideal for city runabout and occasional nonsense on weekends. I have 2 highway cars and a Corolla for chaufeeur driven duties.

Thar width and my parking space + 3 door means I lose a little practicality over the Jimny. I just hope it drives decently and not completely unusable inside town with bumpy all over the place ride. I just want good ride and decent steering.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 12:39   #1532
BHPian

Proper offroading video

purohitanuj is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 12:40   #1533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
The Thar & Jimny - very different to me.
When i first saw the Jimny, I was shocked that people are comparing that (poor road presence) with the Thar. Thar is fully grown Tiger as compared to this tiny kitten.

Thar does not seem to compromise on SUV looks, infect compliments quite well with butch look. Other plus are the engine and tranny options with proven capabilities.

Last edited by UD17 : 22nd May 2023 at 12:41.
UD17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 12:53   #1534
BHPian

Avg. fuel consumption mentioned in this video is around 14-15 Kmpl !

VivekWalia1986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 12:56   #1535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
When i first saw the Jimny, I was shocked that people are comparing that (poor road presence) with the Thar. Thar is fully grown Tiger as compared to this tiny kitten.

Thar does not seem to compromise on SUV looks, infect compliments quite well with butch look. Other plus are the engine and tranny options with proven capabilities.
The big butch and burly look does not qualify as a true blue SUV.
As far as proven capabilities are concerned Jimny is proven worldwide while Thar can’t be sold in other countries because of its copied design.

Jimny is a mountain Goat which will happily climb mountains all day long.

I can already imagine convoys of Thar and Jimny going together carving their way up off road trails while city slickers in their 18inch wheeler Thars happily climbing mall ramps!!

Point is that we as a customer have a choice and we should celebrate that!!
Zanskar is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 13:05   #1536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
The Thar & Jimny - very different to me.

But for the city, I am sure the Jimny would be an easier car for daily runs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathur2012 View Post
Jimny isn’t a “city car”.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I need to hide my own money from my self lest I get tempted and get one.

On paper this is looking like ideal city runabout for bangalore craters, waterlogged roads and off road circuit that I take from my house on sarjapur road to E-city.
I just hope it drives decently and not completely unusable inside town with bumpy all over the place ride. I just want good ride and decent steering.
Looks like the perfect city SUV whether it be 4x4 or even future 4x2 guise imho.
Add to that the Maruti practicality and service support,
Makes the most sense for Mumbai/Pune monsoon roads.

Maruti being Maruti would be tuning the suspension for the masses i.e good ride too.

Pricing would be the only thing to watch out now.
johannskaria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 13:07   #1537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysossa View Post
(on a side note: what exactly do the customer service agents at Nexa do, serious question. I've called earlier to know about the status of my booking, no help there either. I've never owned a MS vehicle in India before so any help would be appreciated.)
A few years back I had an issue with a Nexa dealership. The customer service team promptly shared the contact details of the regional manager of Maruti and I believe also shared the issue with him directly. When I called him he was helpful and immediately spoke with the dealership to sort out the issue. Maybe I was just plain lucky, but having moved on from Maruti, I sorely miss the fact that the OEM had a provision (which also worked) for escalating a complaint against an errant dealer.
Quoter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 13:17   #1538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
And Bangalore. This is what many GenX, Millenials and Gen Z say and have got themselves Thar.
They sell you aspirations and dreams and customers bait them up and many of these Jimny's and Thars will end up doing tar/ tarmac duty for their lives. But I'm sure some will take them into the jungles, mountains and streams, irrespective of whether they live near the Himalayas or not. The AT Jimny with 4WD is something that Maruti will probably launch next year to liven up the line-up and will be interesting.
outdoorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 13:18   #1539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Absolutely stunning ! Pic of the day for me..:-)

Last edited by mpant05 : 22nd May 2023 at 13:19.
Old 22nd May 2023, 13:21   #1540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoter View Post
I sorely miss the fact that the OEM had a provision (which also worked) for escalating a complaint against an errant dealer.
That "vent" unfortunately doesn't exist with all manufacturers. My experience with Honda has been quite bad in this regard even when they came to know that the dealership was cheating. They take it an a "chalta hai" way and have got "Indianised" which even homegrown Indian brands like Tata/ Mahindra will not accept.
Old 22nd May 2023, 13:28   #1541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathur2012 View Post
Jimny isn’t a “city car”.

About the engine, its more than enough to conquer almost all sorts of trails.

People like me dont need XXX BHPs, we just need a simple, capable 4x4 vehicle which without guzzling litres of fuel can go to remotest places. Not to mention in remotest parts you need most reliable vehicle and everyone knows how reliable a Japanese vehicle is.
Jimny is a dream come true vehicle for people like me. Its going to be cheapest, most fuel efficient and a reliable 4x4, a lot more reliable than the other affordable 4x4s available today in the Indian Market.
Jimny would be more city friendly than the Thar. Hence the city car tag, only for this comparison.
Also, the size is also more easy for the city, compared to the Thar. Even for parking.
So the comparison and adjectives are subject to this use case & comparison only.

People like me, we love torque. And this engine lacks it.

Yes, the Jimny will really open up the off-road adventure lifestyle for many.
But this blanket statement of reliability for Maruti Suzuki is now blown out of proportion.
We owned the Ciaz diesel for 1.6 lakh kms, and the car would come up with some surprising service bills.
My City & Jazz with a bigger & efficient engine demand FAR less in upkeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
I agree.
Everything works in favour of the Thar, till you bring family practicality in the picture. More so if you have elderly in your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
Pricing would be the only thing to watch out now.
Price overlap with the Brezza is inevitable.
This would be a heart over mind decision for many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I just want good ride and decent steering.
Good ride was a reasonable ask.
But steering...

Last edited by parrys : 22nd May 2023 at 13:32.
parrys is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 13:44   #1542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
The turning radius at 5:44 mark; reminds me of the struggle with my Safari Dicor 2.2!
Old 22nd May 2023, 14:20   #1543
BHPian

In all the videos of media drive, one thing we can see is that rear seat belts are always buckled though no passenger is sitting on rear seat. It is acceptable that belt warning buzzer may sound if passenger is sitting but belt not buckled, but why should it sound when pax is not sitting. Are there no sensors in rear seats to detect weight of the pax.
Will this going to happen when we start using Jimny ?

Last edited by Rahul Lal : 22nd May 2023 at 14:21.
Old 22nd May 2023, 14:21   #1544
BHPian

Jimny does not get rear seat passenger weight detector but defaults to 90 seconds beeping chime to buckle up for the rear passenger. This is annoying!
Consider 2 in the front with seat belts on, and still have to listen to 90 second chime.

What was Maruti thinking?
purohitanuj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 14:22   #1545
BHPian

In all the videos of media drive, one thing we can see is that rear seat belts are always buckled though no passenger is sitting on rear seat. It is acceptable that belt warning buzzer may sound if passenger is sitting but belt not buckled, but why should it sound when pax is not sitting. Are there no sensors in rear seats to detect weight of the pax.
Will this going to happen when we start using Jimny?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks