Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2023, 09:20   #1651
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Would be great to have a poll regarding the acceptable pricing for Jimny. It would shed some light on what all of us here feel about what this car is worth to them (and not what MS could price it for).

Dear mods or members (who know how to open a price poll on the forum) kindly help open one; I would have done one had I known how to, my apologies.

For me the it could be something like this:

Zeta MT - 10-11 (ex showroom)
Zeta AT - 11-12 (ex showroom)
Alpha MT - 12-13 (ex showroom)
Alpha AT - 13-14 (ex showroom)
Old 25th May 2023, 09:44   #1652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
But is it a Premium product? That is the question! Just because the manufacturer says it OR terms it as a Premium product, it does not automatically becomes one. Does it?
The Jimny is a very competent ranch/estate cruiser, and that's it.

The only problem is that it is a utilitarian vehicle that is going to be sold in a market where most people who really do utilitarian stuff buy a Massey Ferguson.

So, even if Maruti undercuts the Wagon R with the Jimny, the mass market will still prefer the hatchback.

Therefore, Return on Capital Employed equations dictate that Maruti prices the Jimny at a premium.

So, the Jimny is a utilitarian product with a premium pricing. I don't blame Maruti for its pricing; I blame the market, and economics.

Last edited by buzzy_boy : 25th May 2023 at 09:49. Reason: Grammer
buzzy_boy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 09:58   #1653
BHPian

1) Premium
2) Competitively priced
3) Possibility of 2WD
Vulken Auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 10:27   #1654
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post
So, the Jimny is a utilitarian product with a premium pricing. I don't blame Maruti for its pricing; I blame the market, and economics.
Absolutely the market is ready to lap up over priced cars since last 5 years or so, entry level BMW at 70 Lakhs?? to like of XUV700 at 30 Lakhs?. Market still seems to have takers for it.

As consumers when people start walking away from overpriced products as well as unacceptable wait times, then only things will change. Maybe an economic downturn would trigger this, until then things are going to continue hunky dory and people will still buy Jimmy and Thar at 20 Lakhs of rupees
Jaggu is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 11:02   #1655
Distinguished - BHPian

Jimny to accelerate lifestyle SUV market, Maruti to explore supplies to armed forces.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot-20230524-203853.png

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot-20230525-111200.png

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot-20230525-111408.png
Pics :Link

Quote:
The four-by-four vehicle can traverse tough and diverse terrains of the country and hence the model may also be offered to the Indian armed forces, which has relied on the iconic Gypsy for decades, said the senior company executives.
Shashank Srivastava, Senior Executive Officer, Sales and Marketing :
Quote:
As the market matures and volumes grow, various sub-segments emerge. Even within the compact SUVs, multiple sub-segments have been created. That is, entry SUVs (like Tata Punch and Renault Kiger), the crossover and urban SUVs like Fronx and Brezza and then there are lifestyle SUVs (like the Mahindra Thar and Force Gurkha). With the launch of Jimny, the lifestyle SUV market should double.
Quote:
At the moment, the lifestyle SUV is an emerging segment with about 50,000 units per annum. It is preferred by users who love to go off-roading, who love to travel across terrains. But there is a profile of buyers in the urban areas who want to bring some style in their life, who would want to own a vehicle like Jimny, as a style or a status symbol which could drive the growth of this sub-segment
Quote:
Jimny may not be a big volume contributor in this goal, however it will play an important role in building the imagery around Maruti’s ability of delivering capable SUVs at a time when there are a large number of SUV alternatives available for prospective buyers

To be launched in the first week of June, Maruti Suzuki has already secured over 30,000 units bookings for the model.
Already 1,000 vehicles have been produced and deliveries should begin in a few weeks. About 50 percent of its bookings are for the automatic variant and the rest are for manual.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th May 2023 at 11:17.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 11:14   #1656
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Jimny to accelerate lifestyle SUV market, Maruti to explore supplies to armed forces.
eh But army has strict criteria including ability to carry passengers / cargo apart from Offroad capability. Older soft top gypsy had an edge here, new Jimny loose that also Maybe to carry the top brass in better comfort in high altitude, that may be possible.

If they really seek numbers, they need to keep the pricing under 12-13 Lakhs OTR for top spec car. Then we will see the stampedes to get one, atleast x3 times sales number is what they can expect. With 15 Lakh plus expect 30,000 booking to come down by 20-30% minimum.
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 11:20   #1657
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
At the moment, the lifestyle SUV is an emerging segment with about 50,000 units per annum. It is preferred by users who love to go off-roading, who love to travel across terrains. But there is a profile of buyers in the urban areas who want to bring some style in their life, who would want to own a vehicle like Jimny, as a style or a status symbol which could drive the growth of this sub-segment

Jimny may not be a big volume contributor in this goal, however, it will play an important role in building the imagery around Maruti’s ability of delivering capable SUVs at a time when there are a large number of SUV alternatives available for prospective buyers
From the above statements, it is clear that Maruti intends the Jimny as a lifestyle vehicle and as a sign of status for urban buyers as well as the ones who need a small capable off-roader.

The Jimny is not intended to sell in very high volumes once the initial hype dies down, looking at this it seems pricing will be at a premium too.

Last edited by bijims : 25th May 2023 at 11:22.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 11:38   #1658
BHPian

Any updates on the jungle green color. And what about Bluish Black color. Why was it absent in MEdia Drive
rkmountain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 14:24   #1659
Team-BHP Support

T-BHP review drops tomorrow, 11 AM.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot-20230525-2.23.40-pm.png
Chetan_Rao is offline   (74) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 15:51   #1660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
T-BHP review drops tomorrow, 11 AM.

Attachment 2454957
That was quick! Can't wait to read it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
eh But army has strict criteria including ability to carry passengers / cargo apart from Offroad capability. Older soft top gypsy had an edge here, new Jimny loose that also Maybe to carry the top brass in better comfort in high altitude, that may be possible.

If they really seek numbers, they need to keep the pricing under 12-13 Lakhs OTR for top spec car. Then we will see the stampedes to get one, atleast x3 times sales number is what they can expect. With 15 Lakh plus expect 30,000 booking to come down by 20-30% minimum.
What do you think Jaggu? I am going to guess they are going to be a tad greedy with the pricing. The word "premium" is being thrown around too casually for it to be without motive.

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th May 2023 at 17:29.
gsferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 17:24   #1661
Senior - BHPian

There are a lot of folks questioning whether the Jimny is premium? My simple question is was the Gypsy premium? Was the first generation Mahindra Thar premium to command more than 8 lakhs on road when introduced. In 2010/12 I made an enquiry on the Gypsy which was then quoted at 8 lakhs, available in any color as long as it was white and a 6-8 month waiting period. Remember that was very close to City money. And the Gypsy did not have 1/10th the creature comforts of the Jimny. It was a great 4x4 and that's it. Horrendous mileage, crappy ride and manual everything. Even the engine was around a decade old.

Is the Jimny overpriced if launched at 18 lakhs... definitely. But then it's simply the market that dictates the price as was the case with the Gypsy and the Thar. However given the features it has that equals any of the other Nexa variants it certainly is premium. Name one other car that provides UV cut, tinted glass? Hell not even the luxury marques do that. Having used the Baleno RS with this feature in hot Kerala i know it's value. Just to name one feature. We all hollered that the Creta was overpriced as well. The rest is history.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 17:34   #1662
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
What do you think Jaggu? I am going to guess they are going to be a tad greedy with the pricing.
49,999/- less than New Thar price is the upper limit they would target for

It is obvious, no matter how much ever you me debate it is going to be one of the most expensive rip off's out there. It is Niche, has "Premium" fan following and Indians right now have too much money lying around to throw and own the latest and the coolest.

My vote also is for expensive man.

Can't wait for a proper test drive and some off-roading to rekindle the love. And who knows, soon one of the early adopters would throw it my side for a sweet deal.
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 19:24   #1663
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Was the first generation Mahindra Thar premium to command more than 8 lakhs on road when introduced. In 2010/12 I made an enquiry on the Gypsy which was then quoted at 8 lakhs, available in any color as long as it was white and a 6-8 month waiting period. Remember that was very close to City money. And the Gypsy did not have 1/10th the creature comforts of the Jimny. It was a great 4x4 and that's it. Horrendous mileage, crappy ride and manual everything. Even the engine was around a decade old.
The rest is history.

Drive on,
Shibu

If we are talking a bit of history then the Bolero GLX was at Rs 6.47 lacs and the Sportz was 5.86 Lacs in 2005. And the Innova was at 8 lacs in 2006. The Octavia was about 12 lacs at that time.

Prices for basic cars have changed incredibly and it goes that way up the value ladder.

Ref the Gypsy and its ‘horrendous’ mileage, well my 2014 stock Gypsy gives me 12kmpl in mixed usage city, highways, hills etc and sometimes even more, if driven sensibly and within limits. It is utterly reliable and even if left idle for a month, will start at first crank.

Today used civilian Gypsys in original stock condition are nearly extinct and do command prices higher than their brand new prices in 2018-2019.

The same way the used Gen 1 Thars and the Signature Limited Edition ones, command prices higher than their brand new prices in 2018-2019.

The Jimny is a cult vehicle. It is not for everyone. Certainly not for those expecting a boxy looking off roader with crossover comfort and features, because it is simply NOT that!

Those who want it will buy it at whatever price Maruti announces. Of course, just like the second gen Thar, there will be a lot of people who buy in haste with their eyes and their hearts only to sell rapidly because of the loud protests emitted by their spines, necks, backs and of course, their less-than-forgiving spouses and families.

Just like in the case of the second gen Thar, some of those who are presently waiting on the sidelines and sitting on the fence, will benefit from such manifestations of ‘buyer’s remorse’.

Personally I am waiting to see it launch and test drive it and see what their asking price is, before making any sort of decision or forming any sort of further impression or making any kind of further speculation.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 25th May 2023 at 19:25.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 19:42   #1664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmountain View Post
Any updates on the jungle green color. And what about Bluish Black color. Why was it absent in MEdia Drive
Likely to be available exclusive for the Indian Army.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot-20230525-193723.png

Indian armed forces express interest in the Jimny. The requirements in terms of specs are under study.
Maruti Suzuki will take up the request after the launch of Jimny to private buyers.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 21:18   #1665
BHPian

I am not sure if we have ever had any other vehicle run into 100 + pages before the launch. In fact, we havent even had a single real-world review of the vehicle out yet !
While I might not go ahead and convert my booking into an actual purchase, I have no doubt that the Jimny will serve it's owners well.
Looking forward to the media reviews to serve some much needed enthusiasm for the Jimny fans in India who have been waiting for quite a while ever since the reveal.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks