Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2023, 09:43   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murlidar View Post
For those who are thinking of AT vs MT version of the Jimny, please have a look at the video below. To summarize the AT is a super slouch of an engine/transmission combo. So, unless you are going to predominantly using it in the city as an urban commuter, I suggest skip the AT and go for MT.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=G6WzIEXEXqQ
See the manual version of same youtube channel. It is almost same apart from top speed (which anyone in his right mind wont do). Both MT and AT are slouch.

Here is a proper AT vs MT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyocean View Post
Thanks purohitanuj. If they price it like a Wagon-R it makes sense to buy with that rating. If they price it 15L+ not sure if its a wise decision considering the car will see a lot of highways as a part of touring. I really like this car because its small and with necessary capabilities, unfortunately safety is my first priority. No safety No Go.

For those who are ready to buy this irrespective of the safety rating, I would not call your decision bad, as its a better reliable package at the price point than those pseudo SUVs sold by Hyundai at gold rates.

Also 4x4 gearbox aside, If it doesn't have a locking differential (MLD,BLD,LSD) it aint an SUV, just an imposter.
I agree. Anything above 12-13L would make it too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj4466 View Post
Sorry to disagree, but 18L On Road for Jimny is never VFM. A Gypsy in 2019 costed 7.75L on road. All that the Jimny receives is a new body and some extra gizmos. Anything above 15L is overpriced.
Completely agree. Full blown, Diesel 4x4 Scorpio N is sitting at 17L. Lets all be realistic. Anything above 13L is asking too much for a Jimny. Pricing it just on the basis of what Jimny can due to its size, weight etc is not the right way. We should see the production cost of a 4 seater , ladder frame SUV with basic features. If Mahindra can sell a proper 4x2 Suv Thar , Bolero Neo etc in 10L bracket, then we should have a fair idea on production cost. Jimny , if above 13L, is just pure milking customer.

Last edited by vb-saan : 17th January 2023 at 11:57. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another. Thank you!
purohitanuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 13:24   #197

re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

I have a query here!
Has Suzuki modified 3 door chassis & stretched it to accommodate extra 2 doors in 5 door Jimny? Or is it exactly the same original chassis of 3 door Jimny?
I am of the opinion that the additional weight & wheelbase of 5 door just takes out the practicality & capability for which the 3 door is known and also comparatively an extended 5 door chassis will have a different driving dynamics & road manners even if the hardware is same. What say?

Last edited by vb-saan : 17th January 2023 at 13:31. Reason: i -> I, suzuki -> Suzuki etc.
Old 17th January 2023, 13:38   #198
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnftech View Post
I have a query here!
Has Suzuki modified 3 door chassis & stretched it to accommodate extra 2 doors in 5 door Jimny? Or is it exactly the same original chassis of 3 door Jimny?
What say?
This spec comparison may help you.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-4437b39e77c04939aaf8bbb9d5e41c5d.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 13:44   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny 5d as analyzed by Japanese media:

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-jimny1.jpg

-Looks cool, but what is important is off-road performance.
- Think that there are many users who only run on paved roads
- it is natural to assume that Suzuki had a plan for a 5-door from the beginning of the development of the current Jimny in order to design it at as little cost as possible as the powertrains remain common

Changes made to the 5d Jimny

-The most important thing is the vehicle dimensions. In particular, the angle between the body and the ground is quite an important value for an off-road 4WD.

Quote:
The ramp breakover angle (the angle at which an obstacle can be crossed without touching the underbody) is 24° instead of 28° on the 3-door. The approach angle (the angle at which you can overcome obstacles ahead) has been reduced from 40° to 36°.

The minimum ground clearance of 210mm and the departure angle of 50° (the angle at which the rear bumper and muffler can be crossed without touching obstacles) are the same as those of the 3-door.
-The key to off-road driving of this 5-door is the ramp breakover angle. This is an angle that does not touch the underbody at the top of the slope when transitioning to flat ground after climbing a steep hill. This was reduced from 28° to 24° in the Sierra.

- Jeep Wrangler's 4-door is 22.6 degrees, so the Jimny 5-door may be excellent. In the first place, there is nothing to worry about because there is no big problem unless you drive moderately and attack the off-road course.

How is the Chassis different?

- Other than being only an extended frame from the Jimny Sierra, but with an additional beam in the center.

- The structure is beefed up by making use of the 3-door platform.

- The frame of the 5 door (on the top pic shown below) and 3 doors on the bottom (the front is on the left of each). A thick beam is added behind the X-shaped transfer space in the center.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-52621411030_a465c3fa4d_o.jpg

- Since it is about Suzuki, as long as it calls itself the Jimny brand, it should have carried out development without compromise.

- Another thing that bothers me is the weight of the car. While the Sierra weighs about 1080kg, the 5-door has a weight difference of about 120kg, which is about 120kg. Whether the weight difference between two adults is large or small is subtle, but there is a big difference in driving performance.

- In particular, the 1.5L naturally aspirated engine does not have a significant increase in power.
Quote:
As a solution, it is recommended to incorporate a turbo kit sold by Trust and others. Trust's turbo kit is about 500,000 yen, but in the company's tests, it recorded 124ps, an increase of 35ps. The torque is also about 18kgm, which is 6kgm, which is quite a lot. Currently, it is set for 3 doors, but if 5 doors are introduced to Japan, would like it to be adapted
- Recommend 3 doors for those who want to go off-road in earnest, solo camping, short trips for couples, etc. (Actually, the luggage space capacity is also larger with 3 doors). However, it should be said that it is an alternative to the former Escudo, and for those who want an SUV with high XC performance, the Jimny 5-door will be unique.

- As backlog of the Jimny 3-d is about a year, the 5d will not arrive anytime soon in Japan.

Link

And from the Indian media:

Just how well will the Jimny do?

What the Jimny has on its side undoubtedly are its Mercedes G-Wagen-inspired looks. The longer five-door isn’t nearly as cute as the 3-door Jimny and it doesn’t have the same cubic appeal. But this one is more practical and can be used as an everyday family car, albeit with a few compromises. It won’t be as comfortable as a Grand Vitara and will drive a bit like an off roader, but what it will offer is loads of appeal and genuine character.

The Jimny is a Gypsy after all; a modern, more sophisticated but just as a hardcore compact off-roader. And in many ways, the introduction of the Jimny will also be the return of the Gypsy. The longest-running Maruti ever, it was continuously on sale from 1985 to 2019 – an incredible 34 years. It even outlived the Maruti 800. So while the King is dead, long live the King.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th January 2023 at 14:08.
volkman10 is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 13:47   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Today I visited the dealership to collect the booking receipt documents. The SA informed they are expecting training dates by 3rd week of January. Expected price range 10-14 L ex-showroom.
I also visited Nexa dealership on Sunday to collect my booking receipts, the SA informed they are already attending online training for Jimny.

Regarding prices it's all speculations, there isn't any news anywhere.
mathur2012 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 15:15   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This spec comparison may help you.
Wheelbase of 5 door Jimny is 2590 mm as per their Brochure.

Swift wheelbase is 2430 mm. Can we get some advantage due to longer wheelbase for the tall passengers?

The main negatives that I am seeing in Jimny are:

1. Lack of storage spaces (water bottles, wallet, red bull or coke cans, coffee cup, coins, microfiber and yellow cloth, small spray bottle, tissue roll),

2. Lack of rotary knobs and buttons of ICE.

3. I had a desire to have roof mounted sunglass holder. That will remain a desire forever! Anyway, none of the Jimny had it.
Old 17th January 2023, 15:59   #202

Most of us are discussing about Jimny's off-road capabilities. But Maruti has introduced it as a 5-door with 6 airbags standard to appeal for the city drivers.

So:
  • Can people use it as their primary or the only car? [I guess No]
  • Does this have enough appeal to make it a secondary, life-style car? [probably Yes]

Question to experts: Do you think that most bookings are being done by people who intend to use it for off-roading primarily or for city use?
Old 17th January 2023, 16:26   #203
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
So while the King is dead, long live the King.[]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathur2012 View Post
Regarding prices it's all speculations, there isn't any news anywhere.
Quote:
1. Lack of storage spaces (water bottles, wallet, red bull or coke cans, coffee cup, coins, microfiber and yellow cloth, small spray bottle, tissue roll),

2. Lack of rotary knobs and buttons of ICE.

3. I had a desire to have roof mounted sunglass holder. That will remain a desire forever! Anyway, none of the Jimny had it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoguy View Post
[*]Can people use it as their primary or the only car? [I guess No][*]Does this have enough appeal to make it a secondary, life-style car? [probably Yes]
Do you think that most bookings are being done by people who intend to use it for off-roading primarily or for city use?
@volkman : Long Live the King Indeed! And yes that Turbo bolt on kit will be handy. But it might void the warranty in India since Maruti will want to play it safe. Also there may be trouble with the cops since this is a deviation from the factory spec. I believe there is already some action on that front judging by the picture attached which a friend sent me.

@mathur : I also went with my Dad to a nearby Nexa and enquired. The sales person said it will be 25000/- to book and preferably to book at a showroom since the refund will be faster in case one changes ones mind. Pricing speculation by the salesperson is 17 to 18 Lacs on road Bangalore for the top spec. But this is only speculation and Maruti will certainly not want to price it so high if they want to succeed with this vehicle in India. No point speculating further on the price till the details are officially released. The sales person said that at the latest, they will receive test drive vehicles by Mid March and they should be starting deliveries by end of March.

@Rijuc : Yes they ought to have done something more about internal storage cubbyholes. And of course it would be lovely to have an overhead sunglass holder like my old Yeti used to have. But I guess we can live with the lack of these as we are doing in the case of the Thar. Im just wondering about the lack of a centre armrest unless that comes readily as an accessory. Take a look at the not-so-detailed-pics of the interior of the 3 door which I had taken in 2018 in Dubai.

@nanoguy : Most certainly this is a good choice for an all round all purpose vehicle for a small family in a city and not just an off road focussed application. Many families of 4 manage happily with a Swift or Ignis or Wagon R or Kia Sonet or Hyundai I10 Grand or similar. So why should they not be happy with a 5 door Jimny? If anything the Jimny image and street cred itself is way above the other vehicles named above and its functionalities will enable them to fearlessly tread anywhere in our broken city roads and floods and all. All that Maruti has to do is to price it right.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-8a23a653a6364472935ccad503e8ec17.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-5513c658974d4a0ba119835fafeed764.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-a239946e80814930899fe3296eec7832.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-fab33fe4369e48e09bddc9a16eaf20be.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-1bcf971612414ffe92db5286e600b642.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-c2f1055c9b864cbb8c58ba4c7dc66f2b.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th January 2023 at 16:27.
shankar.balan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 16:29   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Water wading capacity of Jimny is just 300 mm. Buyers from Urban areas which gets flooded easily like Gurgaon or Bangalore should be aware of this parameter. Jimny without a proper functional snorkel fitment will die in the first flood of 2023!

Since Jimny will be manufactured in Gurgaon, whether the final product will have a functional snorkel?
Out of all car models in India, how many have 300mm water wading capacity?
sourabhzen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 16:30   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a joyride in the old Baleno last weekend and something caught my eyes.
This was the power window switch on the front passenger side of the old Baleno.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-baleno.jpeg

This is the rear power window switch of the 5 door Jimny. (Pic from the Jimny Auto expo thread)

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-jimny-switch.jpg

Well. Some Maruti traditions never change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
(Actually, the luggage space capacity is also larger with 3 doors).
The suspicion over the real luggage capacity of the Jimny notwithstanding, this almost feels like a joke. Not sure about how the bootspace would be with the rear seats folded, but for most usage with the 2nd row up, the 5 door is far faar useable than the 3 door. Even the most die hard fan of the 3 door Jimny will agree that the bootspace is negligible with the rear seats up.

Last edited by DicKy : 17th January 2023 at 16:34.
DicKy is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 16:54   #206
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
This is the rear power window switch of the 5 door Jimny. (Pic from the Jimny Auto expo thread)
, the 5 door is far faar useable than the 3 door. Even the most die hard fan of the 3 door Jimny will agree that the bootspace is negligible with the rear seats up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Out of all car models in India, how many have 300mm water wading capacity?
@Dicky : interesting point about the switch. And it make sense to re use functional stuff from an existing parts bin. You can see the pics of the boot space in the 3 door Jimny in my previous post here.

@sourabhzen : Only the hardcore vehicles designed for off road application can compete on this wading piece. Thar, Gypsy, Gurkha and all.

However you would be very pleasantly surprised that even the old carburetted Maruti 800 which had its ditributor set nice and high up, was able to handle water levels up to its window sill! The bow wave was there and water actually went over the bonnet. This is my personal experience in 1998 November in the heavy rains in Madras on the Taramani stretch where the entire waterway on which the MRTS pillars now are, was completely waterlogged and owing to this the entire road leading to Valmiki Nagar was also deeply waterlogged.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 16:59   #207
BHPian

This question is to "shankar.balan": Sir, was there any kind of ABS or metal chequered plate behind the 2nd row seats of 3 door Jimny? And our Indian 5 door Jimny 2nd row seats does not have such plate.

Does it have anything to do for hard core off-roading (in 3 door Jimny)? Is this any reinforcement? I guess Fiat Punto Evo had such metallic plates behind 2nd row seats.
Old 17th January 2023, 17:08   #208
BANNED

Quote:
was there any kind of ABS or metal chequered plate behind the 2nd row seats of 3 door Jimny? And our Indian 5 door Jimny 2nd row seats does not have such plate.
s.
Hi Riju.
That was nearly 5 years ago when I saw that Jimny in Dubai.
I took some pics with the seat folded down.
Here they are. From memory that serrated/ chevron pattern plate backing material was some kind of hard plastic. Im sure we can get these as an accessory even if we need to import it, for the 5 door Jimny once it comes.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-3ef378be9cb54a7496d9bcdc245ddcd4.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-b862e138c6b143fc8970b38af5e0c531.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-2f396eda517c47e9951e42919584c45c.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th January 2023 at 17:10.
shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 17:16   #209
Senior - BHPian

Hi. I found the touch screen very interesting with the details. Which showroom is this in Bangalore? Any idea on pricing, they gave you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I also went with my Dad to a nearby Nexa and enquired.
Old 17th January 2023, 17:18   #210
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Hi. I found the touch screen very interesting with the details. Which showroom is this in Bangalore? Any idea on pricing, they gave you?
Nexa Sarjapur Road is the closest one for me.
Pricing speculation from their side is written in my previous post(s)
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks