Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2023, 00:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Not sure of which segment is this car targeted at?
This car will be lapped up especially in the neon shade by a lot of people who love or will fall in love with the looks More than anything else I am concerned with the drivability due to the old 4 speed auto box in different driving conditions.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 01:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Not sure of which segment is this car targeted at?
  • Its not a highway car (because of the suspension set-up)
  • Its not a city car (because of the steering set-up)
  • Its not butch enough for an SUV
  • Its not premium enough to sell for its features
  • Its not a convenient car because of the poor 4 speed AT gearbox
  • Its not a performance car because of the 100 odd motor

What am I missing?
Yet, I have a hunch that this will sell well and get good numbers for Maruti Suzuki.

MSIL already commands a majority stake in automotive sector and is a household name. In tier 2/tier 3 cities, rural areas and hilly terrain people will see this as a do it all vehicle for them. It can navigate bad roads, has the right aesthetics because of the ‘Jeep look’ and is a ‘Maruti car’ which automatically translates to reliability and good coverage in the country.

People have bought Thar for its lifestyle appeal and aesthetics and most of those Thar do not even cross city limits let alone do heavy off roading.

Last edited by BleueNinja : 13th January 2023 at 01:11.
BleueNinja is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 01:24   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post

Although its a cute title toy meant for some occasional offroading fun activities, I am curious if the Indian version will get the AWD setup as default in all variants or only a super expensive top end version will get all those mechanicals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Aha, A solid axle off roader in this day and age. The "wrangler" we can finally afford. I am wondering if it will come with a rear diff lock. That would make it the ultimate offroad vehicle.
No diff locks. There is no 2wd variant only 4wd. IMHO BLD should get you out of most sticky situations in the real world. Diff locks are in the off-road sports enthusiast territory.
With 4WD and BLD you should be able to do all of Ladhak or Himachal territory without issues. TBH you dont even need a 4WD to get anywhere except in winter ice and snow.
Ragul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 01:28   #19
BHPian

The aftermarket will have a field day offering all kinds of upgrades to those who want to enhance the off-road quotient or beef-up this Jimny.

A soft-turbo kit, which would raise and flatten the torque curve by a chunk, with just a little bit more power, without changing engine reliability and life significantly, will be an important part of such aftermarket offerings.

Maybe the RFC India folks can be convinced by Maruti Suzuki, to run a Jimny class this year ?

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
FourWheelDrift is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 03:02   #20
BHPian

A pure mechanical solid front and rear axle off-road vehicle in this day and age? The support for this in the aftermarket and the mod potential is going to be incredible. Just hope it does well because we need this.
TaurusSHO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 04:41   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
The Jimny overall is a small car when you look at the dimensions and in person as well. However, the interior space has been well managed and you don’t feel cramped in the cabin.
Lovely pictures, and great description! Looks like it finally did make it into India, at long last! The Jimny has sold less than 100 units since 2020, in Sweden, so it wasn't actually doing all that well. So much so that the model has been fully removed from the markets, and has been replaced by the 2 seater variant of the Jimny, called the Jimny Torakku. This variant completely does away with the rear seats, and instead gives 863 liters of cargo capacity, hoping to appeal to a niche slice of the market. Here's the Jimny page from the Suzuki Sweden's official site.
supermax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 05:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

This car is a modders dream. Being a MS product it has every chance of making it big, alas they feel greedy. Fingers crossed. The custom part support is already huge for it.

Those who have made their mind on buying it, you are going to have a LOT of fun with these!
amol4184 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 05:57   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermax View Post
Lovely pictures, and great description! Looks like it finally did make it into India, at long last! The Jimny has sold less than 100 units since 2020, in Sweden, so it wasn't actually doing all that well. So much so that the model has been fully removed from the markets, and has been replaced by the 2 seater variant of the Jimny, called the Jimny Torakku. This variant completely does away with the rear seats, and instead gives 863 liters of cargo capacity, hoping to appeal to a niche slice of the market. Here's the Jimny page from the Suzuki Sweden's official site.
First time I am hearing of a market where the Jimny didn't do well. Isn't the 2 seat Jimny launched to circumvent the pollution norms? They couldn't upgrade the emission norms so they are selling it as a commercial vehicle in Europe. That is what I was lead to believe.
DicKy is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 07:14   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermax View Post
The Jimny has sold less than 100 units since 2020, in Sweden, so it wasn't actually doing all that well. So much so that the model has been fully removed from the markets, and has been replaced by the 2 seater variant of the Jimny, called the Jimny Torakku. This variant completely does away with the rear seats, and instead gives 863 liters of cargo capacity, hoping to appeal to a niche slice of the market. Here's the Jimny page from the Suzuki Sweden's official site.
You are wrong, sir. The reason for removing Jimny from many European markets and replacing it with 2-seater Cargo/LCV version was NOT poor sales, but emission laws. Let me explain,

Suzuki Jimny was banned in 2020 in Europe as Suzuki was forbidden from selling many pure ICE passenger vehicles as they did not have enough hybrids/electric in their lineup to balance the emissions (weird emission law).
Below is the link on the ban,
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-europe-415721

Jimny 2-seater Cargo/LCV variant was launched to circumvent this law, a clever move selling it as a commercial vehicle. Below is the link on the solution,
https://carbuzz.com/news/suzukis-sol...n-is-brilliant

Here is the famous Mat Watson's (from UK) review of the Cargo/LCV version of the Jimny. He clearly explains the ban on Jimny and how this version circumvents the ban.

Last edited by tarmacnaut : 13th January 2023 at 07:15.
tarmacnaut is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 07:32   #25
BHPian

It is clear now why MSIL was reluctant to launch the Jimny in India, and even this launch seems to be a half-hearted one.

I was hoping that I could replace my 2014 Force Gurkha with a Jimny. My Gurkha has the same steering set up as the Jimny, but has independent front suspension, and leaf springs in the rear. If the Gurkha is any reference point, the Jimny is going to be absolutely horrible on the road.

I'm going to wait for a good long test drive before buying one.
buzzy_boy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 08:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Any thoughts on pricing? I believe with a lower powered engine, inferior GB (4 speed auto)and smaller footprint than a Thar, can this be priced at 2-3 L lesser than Thar 4*4? Top end Thar 4*4 manual petrol costs 17.14 L in Pune OTR. If Jimmy can undercut the 14L OTR mark for top end variant (manual) this can be a huge runaway success!
Old 13th January 2023, 08:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Is there any chance of them launching the proper 3 door version of Jimny?
This 5 door is what people used to do at Mayapuri and the likes for their Hard Top Gypsies.
I get the practicality of the 5 door but why could they not sell the 3 door along side?
I simply hate MSIL for deciding that India should only get this stretched out version.
starter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 08:28   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

2023 Maruti Suzuki Jimny - 5 door Jimny coming in May!

Some differences between the 5D Jimny Vs. 3D Jimny:

- A rear cross member added at the rear part due to its increased weight
- New design rear seats not only secure a lot of legroom but also a large head clearance thanks to the angular body and flat roofline
- The front seats can still recline to a vertical position, making the Jimny the perfect place for a quick nap
- Luggage space is now 207 L when the rear seats are up and when folded down it is 331 L (+85L more than the 3d)
- Interiors are mostly same as before but for the keyboard type window lever, USB charger and blue LED ambient light
- Centre can be equipped with a 7" or 9" touchscreen compatible with Android Auto/Apple Carplay and can also be linked to the back guide camera.
- Also, and an Arkamys sound system with four speakers
- Depending on the specification, the SUV weighs between 1,195-1,210 kg, which is 75-125 kg heavier compared to its 3-Door counterpart
- Compared to the shorter 3-Door variant, the approach and departure angles are nearly identical at 36 degrees and 50 degrees (against 37 and 49 degrees), while the ramp break-over angle is slightly worse at 24 degrees (against 28 degrees) due to the stretched wheelbase.
- Production of the model has already started at the Gurugram plant, with sales in India scheduled to start in May 2023.
- The rumors about a mild-hybrid setup didn’t materialize, although an electrified engine could be offered in other markets in the future.

Name:  9485554.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  36.5 KB

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th January 2023 at 08:53.
volkman10 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 09:17   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Call me a nostalgic fool, but after ages can look at a model and say, "Now that is an SUV" wholeheartedly. Thar is a jeep

Looking through the preview the only sore point I found was the exposed rear defogger wire. Rest all was as expected.
The 3 door Jimny is sold here in Singapore and comes with exposed wires for the defogger. Suzuki could have fixed this by now.

Thankfully, there are aftermarket parts available that help to cover the wires. Quite a shame Suzuki didn’t sort it out.

Regards.
hondaford is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 09:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post

I'm going to wait for a good long test drive before buying one.
Question from a Gurkha owner, any reason as to not considering the Thar 5 door or the Gurkha 5 door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
It's a poor man's Jeep. Wait, that would be Thar.

Okay in that case this will be a poor man's Thar.
Or a luxury version of the Gypsy?

Last edited by rakesh_r : 13th January 2023 at 09:29.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed