Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2023, 08:28   #301
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

I'm torn between green and black. What colour did you choose? Congratulations, by the way
Quote:
Originally Posted by himalyan_ice View Post
Just booked the top version in automatic transmission. Online, so could pick a colour (guess which one? )
Old 20th January 2023, 10:34   #302
BHPian

I have also booked an AT version. Will take a decision on the colour and transmission after a test drive. The enthusiasm of the members here made me take the step. Been thinking about booking or not since the day the bookings started.
Luke1972 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 11:15   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
@Zanskar

All over the hilly regions of India perhaps more so up North in the mountainous areas, these Gypsys are prized. Even the Army after all these years is still struggling to fid the right replacement. Perhaps the advent of Jimny will give them what they were looking for as a Gypsy replacement! It is very true that the lightness of the Jimny will take it along to places that larger and heavier vehicles cannot reach.
It will not be a surprise if the govt agencies including the forces gobble up the 5 seater Jimny. It'll be a bliss to all the logistics.

As you rightly said, there is still no alternative to the Gypsy with the agencies.
Boleros, Scorpios and Safaris are there. But they do little justice to the actual need.
Hopefully, some enthusiastic and pragmatic babu could/would get the ball rolling.
Fuldagap is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 11:18   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
@Zanskar

Even in places like Coorg and Nilgiris and all, the Gypsy can easily be driven in-between the rows of Coffee and Tea plants on those narrow paths, whereas the Thar and its brothers struggle.
(See pics of my Thar and my Gypsy in Coorg on two separate occasions and judge for yourself.)
Always been in awe of the near indestructible nature and mountain goat character of the gypsy. Given that I was born and brought up in Simla, the hero worship comes from first hand experience.

Also, I attended IBW'22 Goa and my friend who was running all the bars there was using a decades old gypsy to stock them. This vehicle had holes in the floor, you had to sometimes hold the tail-gate in place, but not once did it shut down.

I just hope the Jimny lives up to these ascendants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I'm torn between green and black. What colour did you choose? Congratulations, by the way
The green. I think they're calling it "Kinetic Yellow". I'd have gone for the white (black roofs do no good in Indian summers), but the better half put her left foot down.
And thank you!
Himalayan_Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 11:44   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki's Jimny to come in Jungle Green color, but there is a catch.

Quote:
got to know that the company also plans to produce the Jimny in army’s camo green colour in India. This is a dark green colour that’s already available in the 3-door Jimny overseas. The made-in-India army green 5-door Jimny is only for military use. So, you may see them running on Indian roads with the white-on-black number plates.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th January 2023 at 11:46.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 12:03   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by casnov View Post
Maybe the below video will help you with your imagination.

https://yewtu.be/watch?v=GE2W93FBdo8
This is so illustrative of the perception of SUVs in India, more as traffic footprint bullies, on road or trail, than actual SPORTS utility vehicles. As most people who have actually been off road in India (forest/mountain) agility and manoeuvrability is what really matters. Case in point: the mountain goats of spiti valley aka cabbies in Altos, beating the pants off modded V-crosses.
Uthappa is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 12:24   #307
BHPian

My next car would be Jimmy.

After owning full size SUV, lesson learnt. Indian roads (esp. north east/west), city, parking is not big SUV friendly.

Original Jimmy looks so cute, I would prefer that if sold along with new one.
Old 20th January 2023, 12:48   #308
Senior - BHPian

Only Gypsy owners know about the weakness of the “mountain goat”. If you break the king pin bearing in a remote area, consider yourself completely and thoroughly screwed. Semi floating axles are not, IMO, robust enough for serious over landing. You can recover yourself from an OTR and still make it home by nightfall. What will you do out in the wilderness?

It is entirely another matter whether we have any real wilderness left as well as the approval of the authorities to explore said wilderness.

I haven’t looked into the technical details of what axles are running in the Jimny but I might need to be able to do certain repairs on my own and carry the right tools and spares.

I had the unbelievable fortune of having the legendary jeep guru Mr. Uday Bhan Singh personally fix my king pin bearings during a TPC (Palar Challenge) Marshall recce. This was the only time the king pin bearing failed and I still had a smile on my face.

EDIT:
Yes the Jimny comes with semi floating axles and I would explore an upgrade to fully floating axles as a top priority.

Last edited by gsferrari : 20th January 2023 at 13:09.
gsferrari is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 12:57   #309
Senior - BHPian

I am inclining heavily towards trading my Creta in for a 5 door Jimny. The only issue is the underthigh support for my large frame and the possibility of ingress egress issues like I experienced in the Thar.

Have been watching a lot of Jimny off-road comparisons and this one grabbed my eyes yesterday.
Nithesh_M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 13:21   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
I am inclining heavily towards trading my Creta in for a 5 door Jimny. The only issue is the underthigh support for my large frame and the possibility of ingress egress issues like I experienced in the Thar.

Have been watching a lot of Jimny off-road comparisons and this one grabbed my eyes yesterday.
https://Youtu.be/h4xTph-_RVk
As a current gen Creta user, please consider separating the two requirements. I don’t think the Jimny will be adequate for plus sized drivers/passengers as a tourer. I could imagine using it for commutes and weekend exploration but I would always prefer switching to the Creta for the long highway drives.

If I didn’t have the Creta available the decision would be to opt for a more rounded vehicle with great on-road dynamics, long-legs on the highway and the space for 5 with luggage.

The Jimny ticks exactly zero of these boxes.
gsferrari is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 13:22   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke1972 View Post
I have also booked an AT version. Will take a decision on the colour and transmission after a test drive. The enthusiasm of the members here made me take the step. Been thinking about booking or not since the day the bookings started.
Congratulations for the booking. Out of curiosity what is the SOB (Booking Number) number you got. Mine was 16xx as the last four digits. It should be mentioned in your booking receipt.

With production stated to be around a 1000 units a month I just hope that this doesn't become a year long wait now.

Last edited by Traveler : 20th January 2023 at 13:25.
Old 20th January 2023, 13:49   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Congratulations for the booking. Out of curiosity what is the SOB (Booking Number) number you got. Mine was 16xx as the last four digits. It should be mentioned in your booking receipt.
My booking number is SOB22001646. I booked on 16-01-2023
gargville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 14:37   #313
naj
BHPian

Hello,
I booked the Jimny a couple of days back. It was completely instinctive decision when passing by the Nexa Showroom 2 days back. I am not sure what prompted this frantic urge that I just turned back and booked it.

They assured that there will be a full refund in case of cancelling. Earlier the showroom had stated Rs 500 will be deducted.
The Sales person gave tentative delivery date of 20th June but said one might get the vehicle even before April 2023. He said the showroom has booked about 100 cars till date of various colors.
They gave a default booking for 4AT Nexa blue.

Thanks - Naj
naj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 14:45   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocratic1107 View Post
Still doubt how it can be a daily commuter (courtesy lame engine options) other than a pure offroader and how many people do you think are true offroader enthusiasts in our country? I still doubt MSL on safety front, as the pictures don't give you the level of confidence, though I am happy to be proven wrong. Let us see how things turn up when it is actually unveiled here officially.
It depends on what kind of daily commuting one is doing, someone who drives 30km a day on a narrow or crowded road is not going to see any major difference. But those who do highway commuting daily (don't confuse this with a highway trip) may find it as a problem mainly because of its suspension and not engine/gear combo. Also, I assume this engine in the same tune was used in Brezza, maybe I'm wrong but I guess it's the same KB15 engine. It's not really a bad engine from what I have felt.

True offroaders will mod it to a capable offroading vehicle, those who understand the shortcomings of Jimny may use it as a lifestyle vehicle with minor modifications for short commuting or minor offroading and there might be another set who may buy it and sell it.

Maruti Suzuki sells more than 100K cars a month in India, more than double of the next competitor. As far as I know, they don't have a single model in the top 10 NCAP rating, yet people buy it. So there will be a good amount of buyers for Jimny also who may not worry about safety.

Each of these points will vary based on the individual who is going to really buy it. Jimny for me seems like a good package that no other vehicle currently offers under 1500-1800K INR, and I believe the sales number will only depend on how they are going to price it.
GT145 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 14:49   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Just asked ChatGPT AI to write something on Maruti Jimny and here's what I got. Couldn't have put it better

Related thread

Off-topic, this sounds almost like Vogon poetry.
"Oh freddled gruntbuggly,
Thy micturitions are to me.."
Douglas Adams would probably raise an eyebrow from the grave.
Small Bot is online now   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed