Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2023, 20:22   #331
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)
re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Can you share a link to this review please?
Couple of excellent reviews.

shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 20:23   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Even in places like Coorg and Nilgiris and all, the Gypsy can easily be driven in-between the rows of Coffee and Tea plants on those narrow paths, whereas the Thar and its brothers struggle.
(See pics of my Thar and my Gypsy in Coorg on two separate occasions and judge for yourself.)
I guess Thar falters due to its weight and wider dimensions. Gypsy/Jimny have advantage of weight on their side, lighter the car lesser the chance of those tyres getting stuck. Hence, Jimny would turn out to be a huge hit, once people see it in real world tackling terrain (in stock form) that no one can easily pull off. Also, it is much easier to pull/push Jimny in case of breakdown on those trails.

I think, 5 door Thar might really hurt 3 door version as Thar would mostly find place in garages where people like to show off while Jimny will take them places never thought off. 5 door Thar + Jimny could turn out to be ideal 2 car garage for many.
varunswnt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 20:24   #333
BHPian

No matter how much the engine specs disappoint. In mind vs heart decision the heart wins if not today then tomorrow.

Thar brought back memories of old age Jeeps.
Jimny made us recall the gypsy.

The gypsy always had a special place. Whether it's your neighborhood police or the park safari's.

I think Jimny fills in a sweet spot of small yet practical car specially in our market filled with pseudo SUV's.
gargville is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 20:53   #334
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
I think, 5 door Thar might really hurt 3 door version as Thar would mostly find place in garages where people like to show off while Jimny will take them places never thought off. 5 door Thar + Jimny could turn out to be ideal 2 car garage for many.
The 5 door Thar is likely to be a great hit for an adventurous new age family who love road trips and grand touring as well as some off the road, trail drives, monsoon motoring and mountain trips. This is the essence of the new age Indian. And the Thar is extremely capable, no question about it. So it will impart massive confidence to the user. (It’s quite possible in some cases this may result in over confidence too!)
Yes, the 5 door Thar whenever it is introduced, is likely to sell very well, not only for families but also for security agencies, forces like the police and government services and all.
One will have to be pretty well off and/ or really motivated to be able to indulge one’s passions and whims by having a Thar and a Jimny in the garage.
Personally I am terribly tempted and enticed by the Jimny, but since I already own a 3 door Thar and a soft-top Gypsy, I am desisting from making a booking for the Nexa Blue or Granite Grey or Pearl Arctic White Jimny.

Maybe a great combo in the garage may be the 5 door Thar as a super comfy capacious go anywhere Grand Tourer (Diesel AT).
And the Jimny MT or AT as the daily driver to zip around our potholed city roads.
So it might be a good idea for me to be prudent, hold off, contain my excitement and rein in my trigger happy nature and to wait a bit longer and see.
But I am really agonisingly and terribly tempted by the Jimny. It’s really hard to hold off.

To this end, my evil and cunning plan is that, I am trying to convince my Dad to sell off the Glanza and replace it with the Jimny, ostensibly to drive fearlessly in the monsoon floods in Madras and go easily over the potholed roads of Bangalore and enjoy a far better view of the road ahead with the higher seating position and enjoy the ease of Maruti servicing etc. If he becomes sufficiently influenced by my relentless efforts at convincing him, then , in that case I’ ll get to play with the Jimny to my hearts content.

As you can see from the pictures, I am quite mad about Gypsys to the extent of even sketching them repeatedly on my iPad and the Jimny too, which I indulge by buying multiple scale models of.

But let’s see. This time I will try to be responsible and act more carefully than I have hitherto done.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-aae6f339332f4e71ace6c5c397940026.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-d3a4361c40b4496c8e5db3e4ae978cf4.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-ebfceec7ba494e2cadc738e9a622d36e.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 20th January 2023 at 20:58.
shankar.balan is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 21:37   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargville View Post
No matter how much the engine specs disappoint. In mind vs heart decision the heart wins if not today then tomorrow.

Thar brought back memories of old age Jeeps.
Jimny made us recall the gypsy.

The gypsy always had a special place. Whether it's your neighborhood police or the park safari's.

I think Jimny fills in a sweet spot of small yet practical car specially in our market filled with pseudo SUV's.
An objective look at the specs announced can never point to the sheer amount of excitement (and bookings?) that this vehicle has generated. That the price has not been disclosed would make any logical person shake their head in amazement too.

It makes no sense right? But maybe it does. Maybe the Jimny is the VW Beetle moment of India.

A smaller, quirky looking car with a "happiness" emotional quotient, relatively easier to access, simpler in every way, unabashed about what it is and seemingly reliable in every landscape it is placed in.

Now place it in contrast with the kind of cars the 10 - 30 lac (yes really wide, but I believe relevant) segment has offered in the recent years.

Expensive (I absolutely believe that cars in India are priced way above what they should ideally be), filled with more tech than really is required (especially the whole touch-screen business), thirsty, overpowered in a lot of cases (the speed limits in cities where you can go faster are ridiculously low, or there isn't any way to go fast given the traffic; alternatively you clearly haven't been on the wrong side of a speed gun on our highways and / or never hit a stray animal / rough patch) and just clones of each other (zero personality, except the Thar).

The Jimny cuts through all that and has justifiably garnered the attention that it has.

That said, is it going to be the "perfect" solution? I don't think so. None of the cars can claim to be that.

However, if it is priced well, which I am hoping MSIL will have the brains to do, it might definitely end up being that once-in-a-lifetime disruption product.

The Thar came REALLY close, hope the Jimny cracks it proper.
Himalayan_Ice is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 21:47   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
As you can see from the pictures, I am quite mad about Gypsys to the extent of even sketching them repeatedly on my iPad and the Jimny too, which I indulge by buying multiple scale models of.
Your beautiful sketches need a revision- a longer wheelbase of 2590 mm, a flatter roof, a rear quarter glass
We live life just for once. Book a Jimny and remain happy for rest of the life.

All I need is a sturdy high GC spacious car with AT, and I booked the Jimny (expectedly smaller and impractical than my present and only car). It's sentiment (or craze??) over practicality.

Take the plunge, you know that you won't ever regret
Old 20th January 2023, 22:46   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I am not sure what makes Jimney selling like hot cakes. The engine is lethargic 1.5 L NA which does duty on Brezza/GV, there is no punch in the engine. Its best suited for sedate driving. Torque figures are nothing much to write home about.

And believe me when I say this,
While engine may not be anything great, it's quite ok for an offroader. The Gypsy came with 1.3L motor that developed 80BHP and about 100NM of torque. Being a petrol, you won't have low end torque like diesel but will just do fine like Gypsy and take you places. I have a Thar DI which makes about 60HP and around 200NM torque, performs well off-road with 1 ton load. The compact form factor works in favor of Jimny too.
PrideRed is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 00:03   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
While engine may not be anything great, it's quite ok for an offroader. The Gypsy came with 1.3L motor that developed 80BHP and about 100NM of torque. Being a petrol, you won't have low end torque like diesel but will just do fine like Gypsy and take you places. I have a Thar DI which makes about 60HP and around 200NM torque, performs well off-road with 1 ton load. The compact form factor works in favor of Jimny too.
This is one of the things people don't understand, they compare It to the biggest Cars without noticing all the picture

A thar weights more, way more, and there's not much difference in engine numbers

The gypsys & samurais & sj & LJ done the same, With 20, 30, 45, 63 and 80 hp engines, the double axle remains, the low range Transfer case is still there.....

But no, a thar, With front independent suspension and 500 kg more, is going to beat this.... Sure man!!!
wacso is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 08:47   #339
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-Door receives 9,000 Bookings since debut.

Quote:
The Jimny has received over 9,000 bookings so far. The Jimny’s strong bookings numbers come despite Maruti having hiked the booking amount from an initial Rs 11,000 to Rs 25,000 over the past week.
Source
Venkatesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 13:20   #340
BHPian

Quote:
My booking number is SOB22001646. I booked on 16-01-2023
Mine is 1644, paid booking amount on 14January

A friend booked 15 minutes after me and there is a gap of around 60 SOBs in between. This was done in the same State, with the same dealer but different cities. Previously, I was wondering SOB is some kind of running serial number but not now. Don't know how SOB dictates the delivery schedule. If anyone has any information on how this works, kindly share. Also, what does SOB stand for?

Last edited by OPMaurya : 21st January 2023 at 13:26. Reason: Added information
Old 21st January 2023, 13:54   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

Zeta AT comes shod with 195/80R15 Bridgestone Duelers. It misses out of fog lamps.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_20230121_135707.jpg

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img20230121wa0029.jpg
Steel wheels with some red paint on underbody. Is it red oxide?

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img20230121wa0030.jpg
Duelers.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img20230121wa0028.jpg
Missing headlamp washers and fogs.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_20230121_135734.jpg
Halogen headlamps.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_20230121_135650.jpg

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img20230121wa0027.jpg

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img20230121wa0020.jpg
Interiors.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img20230121wa0022.jpg
Interiors.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-pixlr_20230121134644154.jpg
Same person standing next to XUV5OO and Jimny.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd January 2023 at 17:50. Reason: Watermarks added
BoneCollector is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 13:55   #342
naj
BHPian

Quote:
My booking number is SOB22001646. I booked on 16-01-2023
Hello ,
I am not sure the booking nos can give a real picture about the wait times or line up.
I booked on 18th Jan but my No is ending with 1278, a few hundreds before yours. Went to the dealer a while ago to pick up the receipt and SA said showroom has no clue about schedules.
Thanks - Naj
naj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 15:16   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Zeta AT comes shod with 195/80R15 Bridgestone Duelers. It misses out of fog lamps.
Good to see that door handles are body coloured for the Zeta variant and not Black as reported by some Youtubers.

How are the build quality and interior plastic panel quality? Do they have flex like usual Maruti Suzuki cars of India or sturdy enough? I heard that the build quality is good and interior is rattle free for the Japan manufactured Jimny available in European countries in the YouTube videos posted by European users.

Whether same will be carried over here or Indian Jimny will just be another filmsy Maruti Suzuki car with rattling interiors giving up on its own? Hope Jimny lasts longer like the old Baleno or SX4 at least.

Added later: There is no bluish black coloured roof in this car. But the Kinetic Yellow comes only with the bluish black coloured roof. I guess this is a pre-production car/ testing car.

Last edited by RijuC : 21st January 2023 at 15:36.
RijuC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 15:23   #344
BHPian

I booked zeta AT on 14 Jan, My SBO no ended with 3019. How come zeta variant came in green color. There was no green color option in Zeta variant when I booked the vehicle. Sorry, the color is kinetic yellow as corrected by others

Last edited by Vulken Auto : 21st January 2023 at 15:38.
Old 21st January 2023, 15:34   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
How come zeta variant came in green color. There was no green color option in Zeta variant when I booked the vehicle.
This is not exactly Green colour. It's called "Kinetic Yellow". It's actually Neon Greenish Yellow colour, something like greenish golden Apple.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed