Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2023, 12:32   #451
BHPian

re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

My takeaway from the recent discussions on Jimny is that Jimny is not that reliable or simple vehicle we were thinking. Though mechanicals beneath the body of vehicle are simpler than IFS (so far we heard that IFS system is complex and hence prone to problems); they develop serious problems very easily and very soon.

And all these involve sudden outages, expensive and time consuming repairs perhaps! The owners also need to have hands-on experience to repair or replace parts.

Jimny is not that bulletproof reliable vehicle that we fill up the tank and move on. As an off-roading vehicle, it needs maintenance more than a hatchback or compact SUV. But there seems to be serious troubles that prospective owners (non off-roading category) should be aware of.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 12:58   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmotioninc View Post
I booked the Jimny online last Saturday on 21-Jan-2023 and still haven't received the SOB Booking number. The dealership is clueless and they give me the standard answer of 'we've mailed Maruti and waiting for their response'.

Should I just go ahead and cancel the booking and make a new one with a different dealership?
+1. I think we will get the allocation in the next batch when MS produces them. Let’s hold on and hope we get our turn soon OR some fellow who is supposed to be doing that is on vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
My takeaway from the recent discussions on Jimny is that Jimny is not that reliable or simple vehicle we were thinking. Though mechanicals beneath the body of vehicle are simpler than IFS (so far we heard that IFS system is complex and hence prone to problems); they develop serious problems very easily and very soon.

And all these involve sudden outages, expensive and time consuming repairs perhaps! The owners also need to have hands-on experience to repair or replace parts.

Jimny is not that bulletproof reliable vehicle that we fill up the tank and move on. As an off-roading vehicle, it needs maintenance more than a hatchback or compact SUV. But there seems to be serious troubles that prospective owners (non off-roading category) should be aware of.
Yes. Vehicle is every bit reliable. Just that it’s more complex than a regular 4x2 and little different from other 4x4, needs a bit more/slightly different care and knowledge in owning and using one. Never got into such detailed discussion on any other 4x4. Maybe due to the information available and also, I’m glad and I prefer this, knowing the facts and be prepared rather than being a test mule and learning out of own expensive experience.
AjayV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 13:07   #453
Senior - BHPian

It seems that Suzuki Jimny will spawn an EV variant for EU & UK markets.

Report published in Autocar UK.

Source link:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...nfirmed-europe
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 13:09   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Jimny is a Jeep but a Suzuki Jeep It has very basic underpinnings and all of its mechanical bits are older than many of us in its design origin. But unlike an old Jeep Jeep the Suzuki Jeep will need little attention and care owing to its Japanese origin. All the problems you see being discussed in this thread should not deter you from owning one if your mind is set on it. I will break it down one by one below.

1) 4AT?
Everyone knows there is no point in discussing this. Compromise some performance and efficiency for convenience thats it. No issues except this whatsoever.

2) Chain drive transfer case?
I believe this wasn't in the picture till i mentioned it a few posts above. This shouldn't be a concern and the reported problems were far too many for the nos of Jimnys sold worldwide. Gear Tcase would have been perfect but then this world isn't perfect. If any problems warranty should take care of it, out of warranty the repair is simple if it comes to that.

3) Death wobble?
Non issue for a stock Jimny 4 if one is not planning to run lift kits without proper caster correction. Apart from that front suspension of the Jimny 4 is slightly different to Jimny 3 and I guess Suzuki did that as an improvisation. There will be a steering damper as well for India because its a basic safety need.

4) Ball axle and kingpin bearings?
It will be as good or better than the Gypsy. Won't be a problem for those who don't do serious off-roading or go mud plugging for the sake of it often. Jimny will take you places a car couldn't and the axle or kingpin should be the least of the worries if this is what one expects from the Jimny.

Last edited by Sankar : 28th January 2023 at 13:13.
Sankar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 13:21   #455
BHPian

Maruti is raking numbers for Jimny, proactive Mahindra also will be gaining much with 2WD Thars.

By the way is there any dimension spec - track width ,wheelbase, gc,height etc comparison of Jimny with Gypsy available?
Old 28th January 2023, 13:39   #456
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
It seems that Suzuki Jimny will spawn an EV variant for EU & UK markets.
Report published in Autocar UK.
--
Electric, hybrid Suzuki Jimny coming by 2030 in EU,

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-18.jpg

Name:  Capture 1.JPG
Views: 509
Size:  119.9 KB

The iconic Suzuki Jimny 4WD is poised to get electric and hybrid power by 2030, the Japanese carmaker has revealed.

The roadmap published in 2022, says it all. It has been tweaked with more details, in 2023.

Quote:
In Europe, BEVs will be launched in FY2024 and expanded to SUVs and B-segments, with five models by FY2030.
Quote:
Jimny (Sierra) BEVs will appear in the European market. Even though it is an image, if you can show this silhouette while the car models are limited.

Link

Jimny EV: and EU roadmap.

- the electric Jimny is unlikely to share the eVX’s underpinnings given its much smaller footprint - and it could even use an adapted version of the combustion car’s platform in a bid to maintain its affordable billing.

- Official preview image released by Suzuki suggests its distinctive two-box silhouette, slatted grille and squat proportions will be carried over - although new star-shaped headlights hint at a subtle redesign.

- From 2024, the Japanese firm will also expand its range to electric SUVs and B-segment models. Two larger electric SUVs are also on the cards.

-Suzuki forecasts 80% of the cars it sells in Europe will be battery-electric, with the remaining 20% taken by hybrids

- In Europe, Suzuki plans to be carbon neutral by 2050.
Old 28th January 2023, 14:42   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
By the way is there any dimension spec - track width ,wheelbase, gc,height etc comparison of Jimny with Gypsy available?
Rough comparison between Jimny 5 door, Gypsy MG413W and Innova Crysta*.

Wheelbase:
Jimny wheelbase is 259cm. This is 21.5cm longer than Gypsy.
[Crysta wheel base is 16cm longer]

Track width:
Jimny track width is 139.5cm front and 140.5cm rear. This is wider than Gypsy's by 9.5cm at the front and rear.
[Crysta's track is wider by 14.5cm and 13.5cm front and rear respectively]

Overall Height:
Jimny height is 172cm. Gypsy is taller by 12.5cm.
[Crysta is taller by 7.5cm]

Overall Length:
Jimny is 398.5cm long. Gypsy is longer by 2.5cm.
[Crysta is longer by 75cm]

Overall Width:
Jimny is 164.5cm wide. This is wider than Gypsy by 10.5cm.
[Crysta is wider by 18.5cm]

Ground Clearance:
Jimny and Gypsy both have 21cm of ground clearance as per specs.
[Crysta has 3.4cm lower ground clearance]

*Just for the sake of comparison since I have one and is one of the mainstream 7 seaters.

Last edited by Sankar : 28th January 2023 at 14:52.
Sankar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 15:19   #458
Senior - BHPian

Came across this excellent Jimny build thread https://www.bigjimny.com/index.php/f...thread?start=0

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 18:06   #459
BANNED

Test drive and review of the Jimny 3 door by ACI:

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...upercar-425483
Old 28th January 2023, 18:26   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayV View Post

Note: I learnt there to keep the tyre pressure lower at about 24-26 PSI and not the standard 30 which almost everyone blindly keeps

Unless you want to learn from your own experience of having an accident - always follow OEM tyre pressure chart , they have done their testing. Your tyre is NOT a replacement for springs and dampers!

Just a few PSI can alter the steering and suspension behaviour enough, the difference between a near miss and well, you know it
Old 28th January 2023, 22:06   #461

Stumbled upon this gem on YouTube for Jimny mods

Karol Bagh market never fails to disappoint

Mod Note: Please avoid using non-forum emojis.

Last edited by ampere : 28th January 2023 at 22:43. Reason: removed non-forum emojis
varunv72 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 22:07   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Unless you want to learn from your own experience of having an accident - always follow OEM tyre pressure chart , they have done their testing. Your tyre is NOT a replacement for springs and dampers!

Just a few PSI can alter the steering and suspension behaviour enough, the difference between a near miss and well, you know it
When you go offroad, change the tyre pressure is pretty common depending on surfaces and obstacles
Old 29th January 2023, 08:54   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Came across this excellent Jimny build thread https://www.bigjimny.com/index.php/f...thread?start=0

Drive on,
Shibu.
This transfer case issue was reported in this thread. What could be the reason? Low range gear shifts on its own!

Old 29th January 2023, 09:25   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This transfer case issue was reported in this thread. What could be the reason? Low range gear shifts on its own!

https://Youtu.be/2zMtU3cqiUc
Jimny has a problem with the transfercase and its chain drive. I had mentioned this few posts up as one of the things I don't like about Jimny. Suzuki knows there is a problem with its transfercase and afaik there are three service bulletins (for Jimny 4) regarding this. The issue is not as prevalent on AT variants as much as they are on the MT if that is any consolation

Suzuki took a great gear driven transfer case and cheapened it out with a chain drive. Vespa drive to Lambretta drive. If I'm getting this I will probably look at some ways to adapt the Gypsy gear driven case to it after changing the ratios suitably if thats possible.

Last edited by Sankar : 29th January 2023 at 09:53.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 10:40   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

https://Youtu.be/2zMtU3cqiUc
Apparently Suzuki replaced the transfer case under warranty and there were no issues since at least till the OP has documented.

For what it's worth the other gears were fully functional. It was only an issue when engaging 4L.

Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by shibujp : 29th January 2023 at 10:42.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks